Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to 3 day old robin redbreast nestlings?

Options
  • 27-04-2018 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

6 healthy robin redbreast chicks hatched 3 days ago in my small greenhouse. The nest was on a ledge about a metre and a half off the ground. Robin mom was usually there in the nest with them, except for when she was out in the garden looking for food.

I peeked my head in the greenhouse a few times throughout the day they hatched and saw that all was good. Didn't get to see them yesterday as I was in a different county. I come home today and go to take a peek and.... No robin chicks and no robin mom!?!? Nest appears undisturbed. No signs of carcasses etc... Just completely vanished without a trace.

The ledge where the nest is is not accessible to cats.. And even if it was you would assume cats would leave a few remains. But there is absolutely nothing? There is no wind in the greenhouse that could have knocked them out of the nest. I checked all over the greenhouse for any signs of them and nothing.

What happened to the robin nestlings? I am totally devastated as it was a rare sight to see in my garden and I was hoping to document their journey from nestling to fledging with my camera. Very sad :( Any idea what may have happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rat?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Kittycat000

looksee wrote: »
    Rat?

Yeah my father said it was probably a rat/rats :(

Would a single rat have taken them one by one? I would of never taught rats would eat baby birds... But according to the internet they will eat absolutely anything... Poor chicks

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Rat?

Maybe I am missing something here but if the ledge was not accessible to cats how was it accessible to a rat?

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Maybe I am missing something here but if the ledge was not accessible to cats how was it accessible to a rat?

It would most certainly be accessible for a rat. Hard to explain unless I included pictures.. There's plenty for a little rat to climb up to reach the edge and maneuver through.. Not for a cat

Rats can access pretty much anything they want to access. They climb, for one thing, rather than jumping as cats do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

It would most certainly be accessible for a rat. Hard to explain unless I included pictures.. There's plenty for a little rat to climb up to reach the edge and maneuver through.. Not for a cat

Of course...silly me, size difference of course and the fact they can squeeze through small gaps etc and climb as below!!

Rats can access pretty much anything they want to access. They climb, for one thing, rather than jumping as cats do.

I didnt realise that the pests climb also as seen in this youtube clip! jaysus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrBdnZghJM

Oh, erk. Rats climbing a concrete block wall is one thing, but shinning up that metal pipe!! That is making my skin crawl!

Magpie?

Magpie?

A magpie wouldn't be able to access the greenhouse. Pretty sure at this stage it was probably a rat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Oh, erk. Rats climbing a concrete block wall is one thing, but shinning up that metal pipe!! That is making my skin crawl!
    Are you sure that's a rat?. Looks more like a mouse to me, body about three inches long, ears are upright....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

A rat or a mouse is probably the culprit. Rat being most likely.

Advertisement