Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dynamo for touring

Options
  • 27-04-2018 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭

I'm planning a longish tour about 10,000km over a few months, starting in August. I have a touring bike already that I've used on a few similar (but shorter) trips and the one upgrade I'm looking at before setting off this time is a hub dynamo.

I need something reliable, preferably not too draggy which will charge my lights and ideally which could also be used to charge my battery pack and phone now and then. I don't really want to build a new wheel so would prefer to look at prebuilt wheels (26inch) with dynamo hubs than separate hubs but would consider buying just the hub and building a wheel from there if it was a lot more economical.

My question is, what's a good dynamo hub/wheel? What price point differentiates decent from dogshite? Where should I buy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

A hub dynamo is a worthwhile investment. Yes you can charge batteries and run lights at the same time.
    St Johns cycles have a selection of dynamos and regulators for charging stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

A lot of people will come in swinging about the SON dynamos which appear excellent. Personally I found the DH3N80 from Shimano to be a joy and the perceived resistance was next to zero. In fact one I got from Rose built with CXP33 rims ran with less resistance than my brand new askiums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Yeah I was looking at Shimano more so than SON as they seem like much better value for money.

What have people's experiences been with using the dynamo to charge phones and battery packs and the likes?

Is a buffer battery system necessary(the likes of this http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/reecharge-dynamo-kit-micro-usb-cable) or is it possible to string a cable directly from the dynamo to a regular power pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

CramCycle wrote: »
    A lot of people will come in swinging about the SON dynamos which appear excellent. Personally I found the DH3N80 from Shimano to be a joy and the perceived resistance was next to zero. In fact one I got from Rose built with CXP33 rims ran with less resistance than my brand new askiums.

It probably depends on how long you want service free? That shimano hub, which I have, is not strictly serviceable but seems to last up to 20k km without servicing.

I think SON/SP servicing is around 50k km. Although SP has to be dismantled and sent back to factory I think.

The bigger choice is probably disk or rim. For future proofing disk, once qr and 100mm, might be a smart choice even on a rim brake bike.

I'd look at SPA/Rose for fully built wheel with a decent strong rim. You won't save anything building yourself. With 26" wheel and a strong rim you should have a super strong wheel.

On power, especially if wild camping have a read here.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057682478/1/#post101976471

The igaro website helpfully has a list of the competition.

For light edelux/b&m/son/supernova all make quality lights. SPA do bundle deals.

Enjoy the road. Put two UK riders on the right road this morning as the set of to do Dungarvan Belfast via the coast; shimano XT dynamo hub on a rim braked mtb touring rig!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

Unasked question..?!

Where are you going ?

10,000kms.. sure you'd get to Asia on that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

The plan at the moment is down across Europe into Turkey, possibly Kurdistan (depending on how much shooting is going on down that way), into Iran, up over the Caucuses and then around the top of the Black Sea via Russia and Ukraine, finish up in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

i did the outward journey of that route a number of years back.. Dublin to Delhi, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and into India... THE SILK ROUTE!!!

..great times ahead!!

Let me know if I can help or look at routes...

keep us posted... and of course, give us a pic of your bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Yeah I was looking at Shimano more so than SON as they seem like much better value for money.

What have people's experiences been with using the dynamo to charge phones and battery packs and the likes?

Is a buffer battery system necessary(the likes of this http://www.thinkbiologic.com/products/reecharge-dynamo-kit-micro-usb-cable) or is it possible to string a cable directly from the dynamo to a regular power pack?

Absolutely necessary. A dynamo is a constant current device putting out AC. It can get up to quite high voltages. Anything USB requires ~5v DC so a converter of some sort is required.

You can get lights with USB ports as well as separate USB charging devices. I'd go for separate in case of breakdown, you'll get a replacement dynamo light easily enough but it'll be harder to get one with the USB port also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ...And Dumber

Is a buffer battery system necessary(the likes of this or is it possible to string a cable directly from the dynamo to a regular power pack?

What a trip!!!!

You’re a brave man venturing into some of those places at the moment!

Back to your question....

I have both a Son & Shimano dynamo hub.

I converted an old MTB for touring and got the Shimano built into the original wheel because it was the cheapest option.

When my rear wheel failed on one of a few shakedown rides, I lost a bit of faith in the original wheelset that came with the bike and decided to get a set of the best touring wheels I could get my hands on. That’s when I upgraded to Son as Ford2600 pointed out – it lasts longer without servicing. (The Shimano now lights my commuter).

(I used SJScycles in the UK. They make the Thorn touring bikes. Very helpful with all my questions and at the time sterling was in freefall so a bargain was had)

If you do go for a Shimano, the plastic connector is crap. Look at the connectors Son use and try to use those. They are much more weather resistant & robust.

I’m not aware of any significant differences in resistance between the 2. As far a I’m concerned, once I throw panniers on front and back, I really don’t think I’d notice the drag from a dynamo.

I’m not aware of any dynamo that you can plug your devices directly in to. Some kind of an adapter is needed.

B & M do a dynohub lighting system that has a USB port built into the light. I’d rather have separate systems for security.

There are basically 2 options, those with built in battery/power banks and those without.

I chose without because I figured that
    a) If the powerbank died (and they do) the whole unit needs to be replaced if it’s integrated.
    b) A fixed powerbank on the bike is attractive to thieves (what 15 yo anywhere does not want an extra powerbank) and needs to be removed if you have the option of electrical charging.
    c) It’s cheaper and handier to use separate powerbanks. (I normally carry 2)

I use a unit from Cycle2Charge.De. Seems to be a small (one man?) company, but is competitively priced and nicely simple. I’ve a threaded headset, so my unit sits on my handlebars (threadless headsets have the option of being placed within the top of the headset) and looks like a slightly large bell. My battery pack sits in my handlebar bag and a short micro usb to usb cable connects the 2. In rain, the raincover handlebar bag covers them. The only things on the bike are the hub, 2 cables, one to the front light, one to the bell-like adapter on the handlebars.

You can run lights and charge at the same time, but I prefer not to.
    You can charge directly from the adapter to your electronics, but I prefer not to. I know it’s less efficient, but I would be afraid of damaging my phone, especially, by charging directly. I charge the powerbank and use that to charge the phone and other devices. Besides, my phone tends to switch on and switch off when charging start and stops again – it could use more power doing that than it ever received on a slow day.

My Wahoo elemnt will run with no problems through the adapter. Garmin (Touring) gave lots of problems.

With 26” wheels you should be generating power to charge from about 13 kph.

A typical day’s riding for me of between 5-8 hours, averaging 15-18 kph will recharge my GPS and phone with some left over for my kindle or recharging batteries (camera, lights)

I also have a fold out solar panel from a few years ago before I had the dynohub. I bring it sometimes when I want to be as independent as possible. Because I like to stop a lot it comes in handy on those days. Truthfully, it’s not necessary, but it’s nice to take a day off the bike and still be able to charge. It works so long as it’s not raining, and is surprisingly good in direct sunshine. Not great strapped on the back or front of the bike, but still generating.

A whole other option of a dynohub would be to place it on the wheel of a trailer. There’s a monowheel trailer, Extrawheel, that uses the same size wheel as your bike, with a frame attached to attach panniers. Takes some weight off your bike, use a wheel with a dynohub and away you go. You also have a spare front wheel by default if yours ever fails, or a donor rim for a new back wheel. An interesting safety option if you’re in the backs of beyond.

Hope this helps.... and enjoy your adventure!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

CramCycle wrote: »

I second this I've the DH3N80. It's excellent. Had the wheels built however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

http://www.cycle2charge.de/images/Bilder/User%20manual%20&%20mounting%20instructions%20Cycle2Charge_Rev05.pdf

That looks a very neat option much better than having to mount a junction box like the B&M E werk. And a lot cheaper than the supernova headcap plug As you say ...And Dumber much handier to just keep a powerbank in a top tube bag and keep that topped up then charge your devices from that.

I considered getting the B&M luxos U when I got my set up but decided to get Edelux 2 as at the time it was the best light I reckoned. I've never actually really needed charging ability on the bike yet. Do carry a powerbank but mostly I'll just top up the Garmin if stopped some where and my phone will last well over 24hrs even with heavy use. I may consider the cycle2charge one for next year though as I'm hoping to get away to Europe for a week or two.

I will come out swinging for SON though they do seem to have gone up a little in price but I payed €180 for the hub and about another €100 to have the wheel built on an Open pro. The wiring and the connectors on them is much heavier and the low speed performance is better. If I was setting of on a 10k km unsupported trip across the Middle East I'd pay the bit extra for the durability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

+1 for the SON. I also have it paired (the deluxe edition) with the Edelux 11 and it's excellent, especially at low speeds going uphill.

Agree completely that its one area of cycling kit worth spending on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Another shout for the Son here. NamelessPhil has a Son 28 disc hub paired with a B+M Lumotec IQ2 Luxos U senso front light (with USB connection) on her audax bike for about 3 years or so now. She has clocked up at least 17,000km on that bike (and possibly significantly more, I just took a quick look at one incomplete counter), in all sorts of weather conditions on rides of huge distance (she rarely gets on the bike for anything less than a 200km "spin"!), and hasn't had a moment's bother from either the hub or the light. That's impressive reliability and certainly justified the investment.

Yes, the Son does come with a significant price tag, and value for money is entirely subjective, but if she were here she'd describe it as good value. She's not here because she is off doing another mad multi-day ride, it's a measure of her faith in the hub (and light) that she doesn't think twice about just wheeling the bike out and riding off on it. I maintain the bike, I'm a fussy bugger at the best of times and am always looking for, and expecting to find, niggly issues with bike parts over time, but that hub has, to date, been entirely "fit and forget".

If the price tag is a deterrent, then I can also say I've been impressed with the Supersonic Infinity S dynamo hub on my commute bike. At the time I bought it it cost less than half the price of the Son, although that was a sale price and I don't know its regular price. At a guess I'd say I've accrued 8,000km on that hub over two years, and again in all weather conditions (though mostly rides of less than one hour, and probably not a single ride over 2 hours), and again I've had no issue with it in that time. Mind you, my commute bike is unloved, I don't fuss over it in any way whatsoever, so it's certainly time I checked the bearings in the hub. It's easy to assume that hub bearings are fine just based on the fact that the wheel spins, but even knackered bearings can allow a wheel to spin relatively well.

Oh, and just to mention, the specs of the Son 28 non-disc hub refer to greater space for the bearings relative to the disc version. I didn't delve into the details, and there may be an element of poor translation there, but it does make me wonder whether that variant of the hub actually has either larger bearings, or more bearings, than the disc version. When it comes to things like hubs and bottom brackets, larger bearings usually have a longer lifespan, all other things being equal, so if you want maximum reliability and lifespan that's something to consider and delve into.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭The Ging and I

I have used son dynamos for years and yes they are worth the money. I have never been on a foreign trip that always has some days that don't go to plan and you need lights. I was only ever caught out in Nepal so never again. BUT don't skip on a good lock for your trip. Always use a bar bag to keep you important stuff passport phone etc and NEVER leave the bike with out it. Enjoy it and keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

SP aren't bad I have a sp 8 dynamo with supernova e3 pure 3 light and use the igaro as a convertor have to say all works tickity boo. Igaro now do a switch so that when you are cycling in daylight you can switch the entire output of dynamo to the transformer to charge say a buffer battery. In this regard Cinq 5 do a good one so you can harvest your unused power during the day. Many options so have a good check around before you buy.

Advertisement