Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont Eir move our phone line ?

Options
  • 27-04-2018 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

We have Broadband and land-line with Eir in a small office, we're having renovation work done soon and need to temporarily relocate the office , not to a different address, just a different part of the building.
    I phoned Eir about two months ago and explained the situation and they put me through to the moving department, spoke to a guy who said no problem just ring with two weeks notice and we'll get someone out.
    So I rang about three weeks ago giving two weeks notice and they said someone would call with an appointment, they never did so we rang back today and the Eir rep said they couldn't move us until we take out a new contract at the new address, we explained no change of address, just change of office in the same building. She said they couldn't supply a technician for this and advised us to get an electrician in to do the job but reminded us any problem with the service afterwards wouldn't be covered by Eir.
    So, is there anyway to get this move done with Eir before we cancel and move suppliers. The move will be temporary so we'll have to go through all this again when moving back to the original office ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Karen23 wrote: »
    We have Broadband and land-line with Eir in a small office, we're having renovation work done soon and need to temporarily relocate the office , not to a different address, just a different part of the building.
    I phoned Eir about two months ago and explained the situation and they put me through to the moving department, spoke to a guy who said no problem just ring with two weeks notice and we'll get someone out.
    So I rang about three weeks ago giving two weeks notice and they said someone would call with an appointment, they never did so we rang back today and the Eir rep said they couldn't move us until we take out a new contract at the new address, we explained no change of address, just change of office in the same building. She said they couldn't supply a technician for this and advised us to get an electrician in to do the job but reminded us any problem with the service afterwards wouldn't be covered by Eir.
    So, is there anyway to get this move done with Eir before we cancel and move suppliers. The move will be temporary so we'll have to go through all this again when moving back to the original office ?
    Hi Karen23, 

I'm very sorry to hear this, I understand this is frustrating. 

If you are staying in the same building and using the same DP (distribution point) it would require an electrician to carry out the internal work.  I'm afraid we don't do this work and we are not liable for any internal work carried out. 

Apologies for all inconvenience caused and for the wrong information being given to you when you first contacted us. 

Thanks

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

Reasoning is for commercial premises they will only put a phone number to the dp and tag it for an electrician to run cables and hook up for a commercial premises.
    The reasoning behind this is the tech isn't contracted by the customer he's contracted by the provider he does not get paid for bringing 30 meters of wires through walls or 100meters or 10 walls. Or to keep it tidy through this section or through trunking So the rule is once it's at the dp the customer can get a electrician to do the work in such a fashion as per your request.
    It's not too hard to do yourself.
    Take any cat5 cable and use a pair any pair but typically the standard is to use the blue blue/white pair punch down on the dp  string it wherever you want it. Take apart your existing socket and put one wire behind the L1 screw and another behind the L2 screw it doesn't matter in which order you do it polarity doesn't matter.
    Then you've done it yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

I can't see how or why eir or to that matter,  any utility provider should be responsible for internal work within a building .

Did you ask esb to add in extra plug sockets too?

As above,  ask your electrician to do this fairly simple task which is entirely your responsibility 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

So, we cancelled the contract and set up an appointment with the moving home department for last Tuesday. Had all furniture moved and in place for last Tuesday and waited for Eir, and waited, and waited, they never came. We rang them and they said our appointment was cancelled due to incorrect contact information, over a two hour phone call we went through all the contact information and everything was right so another appointment was set up for today which was a week trying to run an office with no phone or internet. So today we waited for Eir, and waited and waited, they never came. We rang them and they said our appointment was cancelled due to incorrect contact information, another 90 mins confirming the same information and being passed from sales to loyalty to customer service we are still without phone , internet or a new appointment. We tried to find out what was the incorrect contact information they had so we could correct but no one seems to know. It's an absolute shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So, we cancelled the contract and set up an appointment with the moving home department for last Tuesday. Had all furniture moved and in place for last Tuesday and waited for Eir, and waited, and waited, they never came. We rang them and they said our appointment was cancelled due to incorrect contact information, over a two hour phone call we went through all the contact information and everything was right so another appointment was set up for today which was a week trying to run an office with no phone or internet. So today we waited for Eir, and waited and waited, they never came. We rang them and they said our appointment was cancelled due to incorrect contact information, another 90 mins confirming the same information and being passed from sales to loyalty to customer service we are still without phone , internet or a new appointment. We tried to find out what was the incorrect contact information they had so we could correct but no one seems to know. It's an absolute shambles.
    Canceled something and then tried to move it......

Why didnt you just get a sparks like appropriate? Nuts. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

you do know that a new line = a new contract for minimum 12 months.

You seem to be going to an awful lot of trouble for what is an extremely simple task for a trainee electrician  

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

for all eir's shortcomming and god knows there are many - this problem you are having is not one of them -
    the internal workings of your house are your repsonsibility alone - its simply nothing to do with eir

think of it this way - if you mobile phone reception was blocked by an internal wall in you your own home would you phone them up and ask them to move it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Hi Karen23, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the ongoing issues you are having with ourselves, I understand this is frustrating. 

If you PM me your account number, full name on the account, email address and date of birth I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

for all eir's shortcomming and god knows there are many - this problem you are having is not one of them -
    the internal workings of your house are your repsonsibility alone - its simply nothing to do with eir

think of it this way - if you mobile phone reception was blocked by an internal wall in you your own home would you phone them up and ask them to move it?

We need the phone and internet moved from one office where renovation will be taking place for 4-6 months to a temporary office next door, basically from one building to the one next door.
    When I phoned Eir back in February seeking information on how best to do this I spoke with a rep called Thomas who advised this wouldn't be a problem and set it all up on our account and advised us to ring two weeks before the move to make an appointment, which we did.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

We need the phone and internet moved from one office where renovation will be taking place for 4-6 months , basically from one building to the one next door.
    Karen,  you dont have a clue tbh.

You should have got a sparks to run 30 meters of cable it would have cost you about 100 Euro to do it .

Contacting Eir or cancelling contracts etc is madness.

Why the madness!! just speak to the Sparks that is doing the renovation work.................

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Canceled something and then tried to move it......

Why didnt you just get a sparks like appropriate? Nuts. 

We didn't cancel and try to move it ??

We spoke with different electricians who wouldn't move it because the line has to go outside and back in. It would be like me moving into my neighbours house and she has no phone line so I try to run the line from my house to hers

The line in the previous office can't be used , it's being gutted, demolished. No active lines , electricity will be available from there. All wiring and cabling will be ripped out. We need a new set up in the new office , why is that so hard to understand ?

Your later posts are clearer than your earlier ones - earlier you said it was within the same building.

Moving to a different building is a different job and your electrician can't do it it seems.

Technically same building, same address but the area for the new office is across a yard , electricians said it would require getting poles to carry the lines overhead. There was a line in the new office years ago so we know it's possible to set up without running cables from the old office

Advertisement