Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agricultural science potato practical HELP

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

EA22 wrote: »
    I know I asked for help but I literally said theres no information in my book and I tried google but my plants died so I want a student who was successful in growing their potatoes to tell me what they did. Like if you cant answer my question why comment? I dont see the point of trolling but ya know people got too much time on their hands nowadays. I can wait for someone to actually answer my question as im not in a hurry.

But according to your OP, you need to do this project asap. And the thing is you posted this thread almost two hours ago, if you had bothered to read any of the links posted by now, you would know how to grow potatoes, but instead you are waiting to be spoon fed the information. You will not survive in medicine if that is your attitude to learning.

You would also learn a lot if you read the potato chapter in your book and adapted it to your needs.

Potatoes really aren't hard to grow, and quite often will continue to grow even when you don't want them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 EA22

But according to your OP, you need to do this project asap. And the thing is you posted this thread almost two hours ago, if you had bothered to read any of the links posted by now, you would know how to grow potatoes, but instead you are waiting to be spoon fed the information. You will not survive in medicine if that is your attitude to learning.

You would also learn a lot if you read the potato chapter in your book and adapted it to your needs.

Potatoes really aren't hard to grow, and quite often will continue to grow even when you don't want them to.
    I literally just need to know how many times they watered it, where’d they store it, just basic info to prevent my plants from dying. Its not like im asking for the whole ag science project. I’ve read the potato chapter 3 times and it wasn’t helpful at all. And again who are you to tell me that I wont survive in medicine? Why are you so concerned about it? Im honestly so confused

• Registered Users Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

As one that gets lots of advice and help regarding Irish food produce on this forum I'd hate the helpful posters to be dissuaded by time wasters from helping me and other well meaning posters in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

EA22 wrote:
    I literally just need to know how many times they watered it, where’d they store it, just basic info to prevent my plants from dying. Its not like im asking for the whole ag science project. I’ve read the potato chapter 3 times and it wasn’t helpful at all. And again who are you to tell me that I wont survive in medicine? Why are you so concerned about it? Im honestly so confused

Put in a jam jar, wrap with an old football sock and very importantly place gently in toilet cistern for 3 weeks. Do not look at it during that period. And it is ok to flush occasionally - don't over do it. Works a charm every time

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Conflats

Potatoes are easy to grow.

A tip I stead of asking for a blow by blow account of how to do it is use the new crazy thing called the internet to search 'How to grow potatoes?'

Even YouTube has videos on it.

You need to actually try solve your problem for yourself and not expect others, you've mentioned you'd like to persue a career in medicine. You need to have a think about what kind of job that is and what it entails. If you can't solve the problem of growing a potato how can you solve complex medical issues?

P.s ( I work as a crop scientist so I could tell you exactly what to do)

• Advertisement

Conflats wrote: »
    Potatoes are easy to grow.

A tip I stead of asking for a blow by blow account of how to do it is use the new crazy thing called the internet to search 'How to grow potatoes?'

Even YouTube has videos on it.

You need to actually try solve your problem for yourself and not expect others, you've mentioned you'd like to persue a career in medicine. You need to have a think about what kind of job that is and what it entails. If you can't solve the problem of growing a potato how can you solve complex medical issues?

P.s ( I work as a crop scientist so I could tell you exactly what to do)
    Its not like I didn’t do research or tried it myself I literally watched videos, read blogs and they still died. A few sentences wont kill anybody. Yall are acting like I need a 10 page essay like jaysus keep on scrolling if you don’t have anything useful to say. Unbelievable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you ever grown any sort of a plant? Wondering what made you choose Ag. Sc..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

EA22 wrote: »
    Its not like I didn’t do research or tried it myself I literally watched videos, read blogs and they still died.
    Good luck in your future career in medicine!

spurious wrote: »
    Have you ever grown any sort of a plant? Wondering what made you choose Ag. Sc..

I have an interest in biology and ag science does overlap with it a lot so thats why I picked it

Good luck in your future career in medicine!

Thanks! i know I’ll make it :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I had a quick google. Here's what I found.
    You need to bring some soil into your living room or maybe kitchen.
    Fertilize with your own waste.
    You need to break down Hydrazine into hydrogen and nitrogen in the HAB.
    Then use the MAV's fuel plant to pull carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, empty the tanks in the HAB, after which the atmospheric regulator and oxygenator break it up, gaining you oxygen.
    Then burned the hydrogen and oxygen, creating water.
    Success guaranteed.

EA22 wrote:
    Its not like I didn’t do research or tried it myself I literally watched videos, read blogs and they still died. A few sentences wont kill anybody. Yall are acting like I need a 10 page essay like jaysus keep on scrolling if you don’t have anything useful to say. Unbelievable

Can you explain in detail what you did?

Where did you get the seed potato? What did you plant it in?

As I have said growing them is easy. From what your saying you planted them didn't water them put it outside in the wind and the stalks broke? Or have I read things incorrect?

As regards your attitude please reread the way you've typed your response. Your close to being an adult and you can't take any kind of questioning or criticism. In university you won't have your hand held in lectures, you will be on your own with majority of the learning been through self taught means through study. Don't be so quick to dismiss what others are saying to you just because it's not what you want to hear.

I am not here to pick a fight with you but I am not going to help with your problem if you don't show some effort to engage in a meaningful way

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

When you say planted them , were they properly chitted ? when you say died , does that mean the stalk broke off or the seed potato rotted? if you give us a detailed account of what you have done we may be able to help you.

Eamonn8448 wrote: »
    When you say planted them , were they properly chitted ? when you say died , does that mean the stalk broke off or the seed potato rotted? if you give us a detailed account of what you have done we may be able to help you.

I put the pot outside on a sunny day and it was really windy so the wind like blew them to the side and then they couldn’t even stand up straight if you know what I mean. My plants were really thin and someone in my class grew them and his ones were successful so im like confused on what to do. At the start i didnt water them everyday and they were stored inside only if it wasnt sunny so basically that was everyday.

Conflats wrote: »
    Can you explain in detail what you did?

Where did you get the seed potato? What did you plant it in?

As I have said growing them is easy. From what your saying you planted them didn't water them put it outside in the wind and the stalks broke? Or have I read things incorrect?

As regards your attitude please reread the way you've typed your response. Your close to being an adult and you can't take any kind of questioning or criticism. In university you won't have your hand held in lectures, you will be on your own with majority of the learning been through self taught means through study. Don't be so quick to dismiss what others are saying to you just because it's not what you want to hear.

I am not here to pick a fight with you but I am not going to help with your problem if you don't show some effort to engage in a meaningful way

I bought the seed potatoes from woodys and I planted them in a pot.. I did water them but not at the start as my teacher said they didn’t really need watering.... I know they’re easy to grow but I’ve read a lot of information and im just confused at this point on what to do

EA22 wrote:
    I bought the seed potatoes from woodys and I planted them in a pot.. I did water them but not at the start as my teacher said they didn’t really need watering.... I know they’re easy to grow but I’ve read a lot of information and im just confused at this point on what to do

Okay well your teacher informed you wrong then. After planting you should have watered the tuber in.

What size pot did you use? How deep did you sow it?

Get compost, get seed tuber, stick in pot cover with compost, water in plant.

What is the purpose of this exercise for you? You grow a potato and write about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭LaLa2004

My six year old grew potatoes in a large plastic pot last year.
    Plant potato seeds.
    Water them.
    Leave outside for ages.
    It rained. Sun shone.
    Potatoes grew.

Advertisement