Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With Trees

Options
  • 27-04-2018 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

41702271602_9848fc52cf_c.jpgUntitled by stephen harborne, on Flickr

41702265762_f6924bea31_c.jpgUntitled by stephen harborne, on Flickr

Hi All
    Looking for some help with some trees i planted not so long ago
    What animal is causing this damage
    Can the tree be saved and how do i stop it
    Thanks
    Zebrano

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭theminstrel

Possibly rabbits.
    These might help:
    http://www.thegardenshop.ie/tree-guard/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

It could also be a hare and for some reason I get these in the garden occasionally instead of rabbits which are probably too slow to avoid the foxes that live nearby. Either way they could kill the tree if they remove the bark all the way round the trunk. I used some leftover drainage pipe and cut pieces into about 60cm sections and length wise so I could rap them around the trees I had damaged. No more hare damage after this but still lost one of the trees they had done too much nibbling on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

+1 on hares. I’m tormented with them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Zebrano wrote: »
    41702271602_9848fc52cf_c.jpgUntitled by stephen harborne, on Flickr

41702265762_f6924bea31_c.jpgUntitled by stephen harborne, on Flickr

Hi All
    Looking for some help with some trees i planted not so long ago
    What animal is causing this damage
    Can the tree be saved and how do i stop it
    Thanks
    Zebrano

Def hares. Plagued with them here. Ruined a full beech hedge on me. Drainage pipe is good, but if you don't like the look of it you can make guards with a roll of chicken wire. Nearly invisible but seems to keep them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

If the bark has been stripped all the way round, you could cut strips of bark from other parts of the tree and tape them on, to bridge the gap. If done early enough, the tree will recover.

Advertisement