Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short haul planes

Options
  • 27-04-2018 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is a silly question but I see Ryan air have bought new short haul planes from Boeing.

How do they get them across from from the factory?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Fly them over direct..

Full tanks and no passengers can do it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Thanks. Was just wondering would the fuel tanks hold enough fuel...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AFAIK they've been doing it since WW2 to get fighter planes over as the cargo ships were being torpedoed left right and centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry_tank

Yeah the tanks hold just under 20.9T of fuel. Just enough to get them over to Dublin.

The tailwind helps, going West-East. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Latest delivery arriving this evening.
    39937226530_727670a025_c.jpg

• Advertisement

b757 wrote: »
    Yeah the tanks hold just under 20.9T of fuel. Just enough to get them over to Dublin.

Fixed your post

Fixed your post

Jesus, embarrassing.. Need sleep. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

ED E wrote: »
    AFAIK they've been doing it since WW2 to get fighter planes over as the cargo ships were being torpedoed left right and centre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferry_tank

That involves adding extra tanks inside the cabin, and is still done for small planes crossing the ocean, beyond their usual range. The Ryanair 738s do it without adding extra fuel tanks, just they have no passengers or cargo aboard except possibly an extra pilot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

b757 wrote: »

Tanks hold 22150kg, 22.1t, usually land with between 3.5t - 4.0t on board

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Hi, sorry if this is a silly question but I see Ryan air have bought new short haul planes from Boeing.

How do they get them across from from the factory?
    It's Ryanair, not Ryan Air.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭selfbuild17

Do Ryanair pilots travel to he US and bring them home or do Boeing pilots deliver them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Ryanair pilots fly to Seattle
    Ryanair apparently has a ticketing agreement with Aer Lingus to use the new DUB-SEA direct service to streamline the process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Which cabin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

basill wrote: »
    Which cabin?

Mainly economy cause the pilots have to pay for it themselves and get reimbursed by the company, a lot of them get upgraded for free on Ethopian though to business

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

billie1b wrote: »
    Which cabin?

Mainly economy cause the pilots have to pay for it themselves and get reimbursed by the company,

Wow! That’s incredible, can’t believe Ryanair crews have put up with such rubbish for so long, if you’re Crew and your company need you to position somewhere then they make sure it’s organised for you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

roundymac wrote: »
    It's Ryanair, not Ryan Air.:mad:
    To be fair this could be the annoying autocorrect on iOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Many thanks for the replies

Thanks

Roy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

billie1b wrote: »
    Mainly economy cause the pilots have to pay for it themselves and get reimbursed by the company, a lot of them get upgraded for free on Ethopian though to business

Your havin a laugh. I wouldn’t go anywhere to deliver an aircraft half way across the world unless all my airfares and allowances were all sorted prior to leaving base to position to SEA........The idea of chasing hundreds of euro out of my personal account after delivering an aircraft is at best comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

That's ridiculous, even by Ryanair standards! How they get anyone to actually do it is beyond me, I certainly wouldn't. 

At least they've now got a non-stop option with Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Interesting thread over on PPrune in their Terms and Endearment section of Norwegian rostering. Best Western hotels overlooking the runway you just landed on for minimum rest before doing it all again. Doesn't surprise me in the least that FR would treat its crews as they do as they have no shortage of willing victims. Same goes for Norwegian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

An awful lot of people traveling for business purposes claim reimbursement of the cost from their employer and as paying by credit card they get paid before the money leaves their account. It’s not really a big deal for most people.

The opportunity to visit Boeing and pick up an aircraft is probably one that most pilots never get. Sounds like it would be fun and I’d say there’s no shortage of volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

Cloudio9 wrote: »

The opportunity to visit Boeing and pick up an aircraft is probably one that most pilots never get. Sounds like it would be fun and I’d say there’s no shortage of volunteers.

Save the romance for somewhere else, it’s a bum deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

Interesting thread over on PPrune in their Terms and Endearment section of Norwegian rostering. Best Western hotels overlooking the runway you just landed on for minimum rest before doing it all again. Doesn't surprise me in the least that FR would treat its crews as they do as they have no shortage of willing victims. Same goes for Norwegian.

It's not just the LCC's that are doing that. My company is a "full service" carrier, and there's plenty of airport hotels and minimum rest layovers (some as short as 12-16 hours).
    One hotel we use it's situated about a mile off the end of one of Chicago's runways. Traffic departing or arriving overhead from 6am to 11pm.

Ive a good few friends at Norwegian, many of whom came from Ryanair, you can’t even compare the two, Norwegian are streets ahead in terms of employment conditions and attitude to employees.

Oh it would be fun alright, but you know who has an even better time! The pilots who are sent there, provided flights and accommodation by their company, get to visit Boeing and fly a brand new aircraft home, and get a per diem to top it all off, that’s when you can claim it’s fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

An awful lot of people traveling for business purposes claim reimbursement of the cost from their employer and as paying by credit card they get paid before the money leaves their account. It’s not really a big deal for most people.

Any company with any semblance of good corporate governance would provide the logistics for their staff as well as having the ability of the staff doing the arranging and claiming back the cost. It looks like Ryanair forces staff to arrange and pay for the logistics of delivering the aircraft from Boeing...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

It looks like Ryanair forces staff to arrange and pay for the logistics of delivering the aircraft from Boeing...:eek:

That’s overstating it a little, no? They’re “arranging the logistics” to the same extent as they arrange the logistics of every flight they operate in the course of their employment, presumably in partnership with the company’s flight planning team.

The staff are expected to organise their own travel and claim the expenses back. This is the case in a lot of companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

So, Have I picked this up right :

a. BFI - DUB ( something like 4500 miles :eek: ) Non-Stop ?

b. 10% of fuel still in reserve on arrival ?

Cant be just the jet stream, what magic juice do Boeing fill it with ?

Sounds like a bum deal for the pilots. Whats the typical flight time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

0lddog wrote: »
    So, Have I picked this up right :

a. BFI - DUB ( something like 4500 miles :eek: ) Non-Stop ?

b. 10% of fuel still in reserve on arrival ?

Cant be just the jet stream, what magic juice do Boeing fill it with ?

Sounds like a bum deal for the pilots. Whats the typical flight time ?

Typical flight time is almost 9 hours.

Have a look here of the flight of a recent RYR arrival.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ei-gjr#112d5ddb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

MOL is on record as saying that his "Pilots are glorified taxi drivers". That says it all IMO.:(

Advertisement