Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short haul planes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

20.8T on departure, 2.7ish left on one of the recent deliveries.

8:45 flight time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭cml387

It got his hours up though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

A full week flying from airport to airport in a brand new $50m asset being bounced from airport to airport before being abandoned at a gate...

I find that story very very hard to believe, did you hear it in a pub from a drunk “pilot”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Stovepipe wrote: »
    You don't have to believe me in the slightest but it did happen and another Captain friend confirmed it because pretty much the same happened to him. Ryanair were accepting aircraft thick and fast (and not getting rid of older ones fast enough) and several crews spent all of their time collecting aircraft and they were piling up at Prestwick and the staff were trying their damnest to get them farmed out to the bases, which had a standard establishment of four aircraft per base and they were running out of room and they were short of pilots.

Was your friend that was new to Ryanair a direct entry captain or an f/o?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

He was an F/O but had come from another airline, so it wasn't his first rodeo, as they say. Ryanair's collection system was more egalitarian as they simply used any pilot to collect aircraft, as opposed to the custom and practise of legacy airlines of getting old sweats or management pilots to collect aircraft, as a kind of privilege. Ryanair boiled the collection process down to the basics; no formal ceremony, no suits, just get it and go,etc..

Not true, story is defo bullshït on his end, i’m there 17 years now and f/o’s are never sent under any circumstances to collect a/c from the Boeing factory, it’s always 2 Captains with at least 2 years service as a Captain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

And you need the HF radio + SECAL +  NAT training, it's not a routine operation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

He was getting hours by the new time anyway! Ryanair was running him flat out until he hit the 900 by August of that year and had to sit at home for the rest of the year.

Considering the airlines FTL scheme ran from April-March until last year then I calculate the maximum hours one could have by end of August to be 500.

Starting only last year, FTLs now run January-December, so maximum by end of August would be 800.

The whole story is wonderful fantasy. :eek:

PS, Crews get a good food selection provided by Boeing and I haven't heard of any crews having to book their own transport to SEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

In addition the 500+ Ryanair 737-800s have, without exception AFAIK, all been delivered from Boeing Field to Dublin. As a rule they are Dublin-based for the first week or two before being assigned to another Ryanair base. As for Prestwick being "full", that could only be said by someone who doesn't know much about that airfield. It has lots of ramp space, very limited scheduled services and a good deal of the low volume of traffic is accounted for military transit traffic. Barring some extraordinary event that led to a lot of diversions from elsewhere, I doubt that it ever suffers from pressure on parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

If you can provide the registration of the aircraft or the date, that would help. Delivery flights are closely documented and in almost all cases photographed on arrival at DUB by members of the enthusiast community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I'll strike out my posts. I don't want to be responsible for duff gen, that I took in good faith to be true, to be out there.
    regards
    Stovepipe

• Advertisement
Advertisement