Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My first fox

• 28-04-2018 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭

Got this vixen tonight with the brother in law shot at 160 yards, with my .22 shooting 42 grain Winchester subsonics.
    Absolutely delighted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Eh..... 160 with subs in a 22????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Chiparus

3 foot bullet drop?

I would not shoot at a fox at that distance with a 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Oh - she was nursing cubs :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

I can smell the whiff of cordite from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭sniperman

while im not saying it cant be done,how the hell did you judge the hold over at night?did you just fire and hope for the best,or did you really know where the shot was going??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭robbie mars

I suppose luck was on my side it was awesome

Serious question: Do you seek for the pups to end the suffering from hunger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭robbie mars

Pup was shot by brother-in-law

i would never chance a shot like that with a .22lr,not even in daylight,and what if you had hit it in the leg,or back,or some part that did not kill it right away,would have died a long agonizing death,vermin or not no animal deserves that,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I've seen foxs hit in the body with .243 100gr that needed quick follow up shots to finish the job, so luck can go both ways.
    I've dropped a few foxs with .22 subs, not that many but just enough to know that I would hesitate at shooting at them unless close in and most definitely with a solid head shot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Firstly lets everyone take a deep breath. We can discuss this without the need for subtle disparaging remarks.

Secondly to our non regular visitors. You are more than welcome to visit the forum and take part, but i'll remind you that this is the hunting forum and the discussion of ethics/morality of shooting/hunting is prohibited on this forum, as it pertains to the sport as a whole, as hunting is a 100% legal sport.

Lastly, this is for everyone. The OP said he made the shot and while the shot seems hard we have no reason to doubt the OP and i for one would congratulate him on it. You are all free to discuss the difficulty and technique and even voice you opinion on whether you would make/take such a shot, but i'll remind everyone of the same rule as above about discussing ethics/morality. All hunters know the consequences of their actions, and the OP said the cubs were dealt with after.

Mod Team.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

if we all depended on luck each time we took a shot,there would be alot of wounded animals around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

Congratulations on your first fox. Excellent wildlife management. We all learn from experience, and gain experience and knowledge as we go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Benny mcc

Congrats on your first. You can never know in the lamp if it's has cubs or not.maybe bring up the calibre a bit if you're in to shooting a lot of Fox.it's a good feeling to get the first especially at that distance. My first was many hundreds ago 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Am I not the only one to think this is just a wind up story?

It's a bit far for a 22 alright. Never did much with sub Sonics so can't say. We all exaggerate the distance sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭cubbyleader

well done pal, i loved those winchester subs when i had the .22 last summer, never got a chance to stretch it that far but this fella at 130 yards was no bother with an 80 yard zero

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

You'll never forget your 1st :)

I'm a big fan of 22lr ;) Seen many, many foxes shot cleanly with it over many years ;)

Well done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Jackdaw89

Well done on you first red fella, the .22lr is a great Rifle but probably not enough for fox at that range, it’s a sickening feeling when you get a runner and worse if you don’t find him again so I’d dial down the range to 60 70 yards max. Saying that one mans 100 yard is another’s mans 50.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

congrats on your first lad first of many i hope, that fox looks like it has weaned off the cubs from milk because the fur is starting to grow back the cubs are definitely on solids, the barren vixen and dog fox will look after them. but do try to follow up on the cubs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

Got this vixen tonight with the brother in law shot at 160 yards, with my .22 shooting 42 grain Winchester subsonics.
    Absolutely delighted

Well done. Great feeling getting your first, hopefully any more to come.

Never done much with subsonicks but the few I have shot I could see the bullet travel to the target and that was only 50 yards. Not taking from your shot I'm just amazed

Advertisement