Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indo giving landlords tips on how to be profitable

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

The best tip for landlords to be profitable - sell up and invest in something else.

If the government and all our left wing housing charities spent half as much time addressing this type of genuine problem accommodation, as they do dreaming up ways to "protect tenants" who already have protection, we might actually improve things.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Vote4Napoleon

Profit is apparently evil😨

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

With tiny live-in toilets rented for over a grand a month and the volume of complaints from LLs being directly proportional to the skyrocketing level of rents, are LLs the new taxi drivers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I'm a Tennant myself and hate paying massive rent, but I really can't understand how people think a person who invested hundreds of thousands on a property shouldn't be allowed make as much profit as they can. It's a business. Don't like it, buy your own

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

I'm a Tennant myself and hate paying massive rent, but I really can't understand how people think a person who invested hundreds of thousands on a property shouldn't be allowed make as much profit as they can. It's a business. Don't like it, buy your own

I'm not a landlord but agree with your sentiment

However I also don't understand how some landlord's think rental income should have some form of special category as an income

- my bonus was paid last month. Taxed at my full marginal rate
    - share dividends etc are too

What is so special about rental income?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because the profit is not necessarily in monthly returns. It is in having a good portion of your mortgage paid off, then after quite a few years having ownership of an asset that is worth something.

If you're not willing to do it for the long haul, and think not factoring in the risk and losses over an extended period as many (not all) LLs seem to think then you shouldn't be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Fanny **** wrote: »

However I also don't understand how some landlord's think rental income should have some form of special category as an income

For one allow full operational expenses like a normal business

Fanny **** wrote: »

I am a landlord. I have never requested special tax treatment for rental income - just equal treatment. The issue of treating rental income "like any other business" comes up a lot on Boards. Some of the differences are:

- Not all costs (e.g. all your interest cost and LPT) are allowable for tax, so the effective rate is above the "normal marginal rate"
    - In other business, if a customer stops paying, you stop providing the service. In rentals, it takes up to 2 years to evict a non-paying tenant
    - In other business, you get to charge the same price as your competitors. In rentals, you can have 2 identical properties with 2 different price controls.

The problem is that there is a left wing agenda which is popular at the moment. "A home is a right, not a business...."... "Its the landlords property, but the tenants home...." - that type of thing. Rental business is not therefore
    given the same set of rules to play by. Maybe that is right - I don't know. I do know the effect is that there are easier ways of making money, and many landlords are leaving the business at a time when we need more rental property.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I was an accidental landlord up until about October last year, once I was out of negative equity got the place on the market.

Been burnt by a bad SW tenant, useless PRTB and then a tax bill despite making any money on a cash basis.

German investment fund bought it who plan to renovate and hike the rent - good riddance as it’s just not worth the hassle.

I was an accidental landlord up until about October last year, once I was out of negative equity got the place on the market.

Been burnt by a bad SW tenant, useless PRTB and then a tax bill despite making any money on a cash basis.

German investment fund bought it who plan to renovate and hike the rent - good riddance as it’s just not worth the hassle.

Investment fund bought your one investment property ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭Villa05

DubCount wrote:
    The problem is that there is a left wing agenda which is popular at the moment. "A home is a right, not a business...."... "Its the landlords property, but the tenants home...." - that type of thing. Rental business is not therefore given the same set of rules to play by. Maybe that is right - I don't know. I do know the effect is that there are easier ways of making money, and many landlords are leaving the business at a time when we need more rental property.

I wouldnt call the current situation regarding housing a left wing agenda.

Tennants and small landlords are basically been screwed in a system that plays onto the hands of our zombie banks.

So while we have another long tennis thread of landlord/tennant bashing. The banks Hoover up everything to try and "fix" their balance sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Villa05 wrote: »
    So while we have another long tennis thread of landlord/tennant bashing. The banks Hoover up everything to try and "fix" their balance sheets

And while people are distracted by the bank bashing a lot of rent money ends up being paid over to the government as tax.

I wouldnt call the current situation regarding housing a left wing agenda.

There are a lot of factors impacting on the current housing situation. Unnecessary building regulations, difficult planning processes, cost and availability of finance for development, and of course a government decision to move away from the direct provision of social housing. I wouldn't call any of that a left wing agenda. However, specifically for the private rental market, the "lets bring in some more rules" brigade are killing off small private landlords and are actually making being a tenant less stable and more expensive. That brigade is being driven by left leaning agenda that just wants the state to provide housing for everyone and don't see any role for private money in the sector.

The biggest irony is that while someone comes up with new rules to protect tenants every second week, nobody seems to consider or care about licensees who are in most in need of added protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

For one allow full operational expenses like a normal business

Set up a business then.

Set up a business then.

In the interest of educating me, please explain further...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

DubCount wrote: »
    In the interest of educating me, please explain further...

About how to set up a business?

About how to set up a business?

Yes....my letting business is set up in a Sole Trader format, similar to most small landlords. Do I need to change this or is it the business management or administration that should change? I'm open to all suggestions to avoid tax !!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yep - buying up half of Tallaght I was told by the estate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The biggest irony is that while someone comes up with new rules to protect tenants every second week, nobody seems to consider or care about licensees who are in most in need of added protection.
    Such as what? Giving the wrong rights to licensees would mean the end of licensees, and this in turn would screw over a load of students.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Sole traders are just as valid as a business as in incorporated company.

• Advertisement

Yep - buying up half of Tallaght I was told by the estate agent.

Hard to believe

Sole traders are just as valid as a business as in incorporated company.

I completely agree. I have always understood that holding property in a company is loaded with problems including income being liable to corporation tax and then income tax on distributions, close company surcharges, and banks not wanting to lend to them as limited liability adds risk in the event of negative equity. I was just interested to see if the other poster had a more efficient tax structure that I was missing something on.

the_syco wrote: »
    Such as what? Giving the wrong rights to licensees would mean the end of licensees, and this in turn would screw over a load of students.

Licensees have no minimum notice periods outside of "reasonable" notice. There is no restrictions on rent increases. I just don't get why there are endless suggestions for new protections for tenants, but Threshold etc. never seem to have any suggestions for licensees.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Licensees have no minimum notice periods outside of "reasonable" notice. There is no restrictions on rent increases. I just don't get why there are endless suggestions for new protections for tenants, but Threshold etc. never seem to have any suggestions for licensees.

Introducing regulation to this class of tenant would, IMHO, cause a large cohort of 'Landlords' to exit the market. Personally I think reasonable notice should be enforced but beyond that it's people renting out rooms because the money outweighs the hassle - that balance could easily be tipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭GGTrek

the_syco wrote: »

Licensees have no minimum notice periods outside of "reasonable" notice.  There is no restrictions on rent increases.  I just don't get why there are endless suggestions for new protections for tenants, but Threshold etc. never seem to have any suggestions for licensees.
    You are wrong about what the dysfunctional communist organization called Threshold and similar "homeless" industry organizations (supported by taxpayers' money) are doing about licensees:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/housesharing-2971727-Sep2016/
    https://www.threshold.ie/download/pdf/20170822164450.pdf

Of course their stupid/thoughtless proposals will make so many licensee homeless very very quickly! :'( Which home owner could be forced to keep a person in the home where he/she is living!

I shall also tell a few things about these "organizations", a few of their previous employees and managers are case officers at the RTB (direct experience) creating a massive conflict of interest that seems not to exist for the upper echelons of the RTB. In addition these organizations are so full of s..t and double standards to make me puke. At the same time they are calling for a stop to all evictions and housing as a human right to trump property rights:
    https://www.simon.ie/MediaCentre/MediaReleases/TabId/206/ArtMID/851/ArticleID/141/Simon-Communities-call-for-Constitutional-right-to-a-home--.aspx
    the Simon Community is evicting their tenants :angry::'(:
    https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/downloads/determination-order/0118-40081.pdf

There is only one solution to stop this crazyness, but it will not happen: cut absolutely all public funding to these politcal industry lobbying groups hiding behind homelessness. They would very quickly close business!

With respect to the OP article linked: usual tripe from the indo sold out journalists.

psinno wrote:
    And while people are distracted by the bank bashing a lot of rent money ends up being paid over to the government as tax.

The Government are the major shareholder in all the banks

The banks have loads of poor performing property assets. These needed to be offloaded

Government invited property funds in to buy this property at huge discount plus a close to 0 tax on any returns for the property funds

Government increases taxes on the existing businesses providing rental properties giving the property funds an unfair advantage

Government introduces legislation that makes building competing property onerous and expensive leading to supply demand imbalance. This leads to runaway inflation in the rental sector.

Banks have ridiculously high interest rates for development loans further curtailing supply ensuring that the once toxic assets they held increase significantly in value

The banks sold off these property assets at significant discount. These are losses that need to be reclaimed hence the higher taxes on the pre existing landlords. This extra taxation helps the Government attack you and put you out of business

The higher rents and various help to buy schemes pushes tennants into buying over renting creating a property price bubble and ensuring the property funds have a rising low tax income stream plus a much more valuable asset and plenty of takers to buy should they wish to cash in

So please be aware that the extra tax u are paying is being used to fund a policy that destroys you, your business and your customers while it benefits foreign property funds.

It creates another property price bubble to the detriment of the Irish economy

This is far from a leftist ideology. That is put out there as smoke and mirrors, deflect attention away from what's really going on

How there isn't riots on the streets I really don't know

As one expert said during the last crash is the only thing worse than the banks failing is the banks surviving

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

The Government are the major shareholder in all the banks

The banks have loads of poor performing property assets. These needed to be offloaded

Government invited property funds in to buy this property at huge discount plus a close to 0 tax on any returns for the property funds

And the icing on the cake- the property losses suffered by the banking sector in the implosion 10 years ago- can be carried as an asset on their balance sheets- so as to shelter the banks from paying tax for a very long time. AIB told prospective shareholders on their UK roadshows- that the revised taxation of debt- and the removal of the time limits on claiming the debts as a credit- are an asset valued at over 20 billion- wholly aside from any other factor.

I.e. the current government in addition to recapitalising the banking sector- have allowed them crystalise the same losses as an asset- and sell them a second time- to a new batch of investors, so the Irish consumer gets to pay for the same debt twice over..........

This was a policy introduced by the current government- abolishing the length of time over which a company had to amortize debt as a taxable cost- and allowing them to carry the debt as an asset in the first instance- despite the fact that it was the taxpayer who took the debt onboard.

Its actually a massive swindle, no matter how you look at it- but- its entirely legal- and vastly profitable- and its why AIB is so valuable to prospective investors- because they can shelter any profits by writing them against historic debt- indefinitely- despite the fact that the taxpayer paid for them..............

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭erudec

The best tip for landlords to be profitable - sell up and invest in something else.

If the government and all our left wing housing charities spent half as much time addressing this type of genuine problem accommodation, as they do dreaming up ways to "protect tenants" who already have protection, we might actually improve things.

Hundreds of thousands of people in Dublin share a rented bedroom with an adult they are not in a romantic relationship with, that's just vile.

erudec wrote: »

Hundreds of thousands of people in Dublin share a rented bedroom with an adult they are not in a romantic relationship with, that's just vile.

So you never shared a bedroom with a family member !

• Advertisement

And the icing on the cake- the property losses suffered by the banking sector in the implosion 10 years ago- can be carried as an asset on their balance sheets- so as to shelter the banks from paying tax for a very long time. AIB told prospective shareholders on their UK roadshows- that the revised taxation of debt- and the removal of the time limits on claiming the debts as a credit- are an asset valued at over 20 billion- wholly aside from any other factor.

Can a taxpayer bring a robust legal challenge against that. Isn't their criteria that taxation must fall under.

Advertisement