Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What scores are winning in your Club these days?

Options
  • 28-04-2018 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

In my club most weeks any less that 40 points will get you nothing. Quite often you'd need up to 42 or 43 to win. In occasion 45.

I'm getting a little disillusioned with it. They seem to favour forward tees as they believe that is what the older membership want. It's resulting in high scores.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Similar in my place. Lots of guys giving out about it but I must say it doesn't bother me. Lads saying all sorts about it but the reality is it's the nature of the game. I've always been low single figures and I'd consider myself well able to shoot in the 40s on my day. The lads shooting in the mid 40s are normally newish to the game and their handicap is still bedding in. They'll spend years in the wilderness too, don't worry 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

In summer conditions in my place usually if you beat 36pts you’ll be there or thereabouts most of the time - obviously there are the odd exceptions and it’s a bit class dependent, but if you turned in say 38pts you’d be very happy.

It’s a bit different at the moment with forward tees and placing everywhere which really distorts it IMO. 40pts won last Saturday (granted next was 37), and 41 on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Hard to win with less than 40 in my place (Grange Castle). Although the Wednesday Comp this week was played off the Blues for the first time this year. Very windy, still very little run on the ball, so course playing as long as I've ever seen it play - ie, several par fours just not reachable in two. And 37 won it, which is as low a score as I've seen win there in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Anything from 38 on a bad day to 44 is normal on a good day.

Then there was this cracker

fAiBZsb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

dan_ep82 wrote: »

Looks like he pulled got tired towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Plenty scores over 40 up to 2 weeks ago but there was placing and a few holes with temporary short teeboxes. Wasn't much wind a few weekends either. I won a prize with 39 one week but got nowt for 40 following week.
    Starting to come back to around 38 or 39 now though with placing gone or fairway only.
    I'm in St Margaret's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

34-34would get u a class prize most days, 36 is always there about.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I play on a links so a lot depends on the weather. Last week, 44pts took the overall......72 hrs before that, 36 pts won the overall in the midweek comp on a windy, crappy day.

The more interesting thing is test there's a good mix of handicaps winning. It's not just the high handicapper on a good day scooping the winnings. There's been a few of those alright, but also plenty won by mid and low handicappers, so you feel like you're in with a decent chance if you can get a score going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

It also depends on the size of the field, on average we would have entries of 120+ so 40 would always be the mar, anything below that usually means the weather had a big impact.. On majors we can have 250 entries over2 days of play and 67 won last week. Usually 66 to 68 would be required for a major.

I played a open a few weeks ago and came 2nd with 36 but the field size was only 40 and they told me the majors would only get 80 odd players which to me devalues the prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

In general, 39-41 is the winning score around Athlone, but last week we had an absolute legend shoot 49.

26 handicap and the happiest guy in the whole club. He never stops laughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Looks like he pulled got tired towards the end.

Definitely got tired.. no way he would have put the handbrake on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fAiBZsb.png

I'd ban this lad for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Two of the birdies are temp greens so play a good bit shorter, im sure they helped.

Placing aswell, he's playing off 3 full shots lower now too. Could have just been one of those rounds where everything went his way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Two of the birdies are temp greens so play a good bit shorter, im sure they helped.

Placing aswell, he's playing off 3 full shots lower now too. Could have just been one of those rounds where everything went his way.

He also could have practiced and taken lessons all winter, so his handicap will tumble to reflect his improved ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Very unfair statement

A guy part of my previous work society off 12 shot level par before. I had played with him a few times and it was just a round where everything went his way.

The 4 bogeys at the end of the guy's round that's posted above could just be down to variance/luck running out etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

In the summer around my place if you do not break 40 you are not getting a prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Irishdaywalker

All depends on the number in the field - obviously the more in the field the chances of 1 member having a great score is higher than most - we had a winner recently with 47 points (placing) off 18 - scoring that day was very high, so it was a combination of nice weather (calm) and placing - runner up had 45 points, followed by a group of 43's. Although it was placing (last non qualifier competition before the summer rules) the Handicap Secretary was going to cut the lads who had the scores. Winning scores typically would be from 38 - 42 points, so playing each weekend, you tee it up thinking you have a chance of winning or at least being competitive. Nothing worse than going out to play just to make up the numbers or just happy to win the 2's club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This thread reminds me why I'm glad we play strokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

Even with the high points in competitions it is just a reminder that like strokeplay it all comes down to one or two shots in someones round that determines the winner.

You could post 40 points and feel you might have won but get deflated when finding out that the winner got 41.

Then you think back to the missed 4 footer on the 2nd, the duffed chip from the edge on the 8th, the drop on the 13th after a bad bounce etc all of which if they had gone your way on the day (you holed the 4 footer for an extra point, you took 3 instead of 4 because you didn't duff that chip, you got an extra point because you got a favourable bounce......) then you'd have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I wonder does strokeplay Vs stableford make any real difference though ?
    I know there's the pace of play argument, which is fair enough, and plenty of guys are put off before they even tee off when they hear its a strokes competition, but I reckon if you're having a winning score it doesn't matter whether its strokes or stableford. Chances are if you have 41pts you're probably not having any "scratches".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

V. Par competition in Killarney (Killeen course) yesterday, winner scored 8 Up off an 18 handicap. He shot 3 over gross on the back 9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Very unfair statement

A guy part of my previous work society off 12 shot level par before. I had played with him a few times and it was just a round where everything went his way.

The 4 bogeys at the end of the guy's round that's posted above could just be down to variance/luck running out etc.

On reflection I'd give that guy the benefit of the doubt. There aren't many golfers who would sabotage an under par round. Most golfers would love to say they shot a 3 under gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Russman wrote: »
    I wonder does strokeplay Vs stableford make any real difference though ?
    I know there's the pace of play argument, which is fair enough, and plenty of guys are put off before they even tee off when they hear its a strokes competition, but I reckon if you're having a winning score it doesn't matter whether its strokes or stableford. Chances are if you have 41pts you're probably not having any "scratches".

It probably doesnt make any difference to the winner, you will often have someone having "one of those days".

For me the "problem" with only playing stableford is that CSS ends up being high, so people having 37, 38 points might not get much of a cut if even a cut at all and the guy with the great score also misses out on a cut.

Fast fwd 3 weeks and those same guys come in with 40 points instead of the 38 points they would have had, had they been cut previously.

Spread this out and it means the outlier score isnt an outlier at all, there are a bunch of people around that score.

There shouldn't be a large bunch of people scoring under par every week in amateur golf if handicaps are correct.

Your handicap is a measure of your potential, not your average.
    (For now that is... :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

We had out V Par on sunday. Winner was 7 Up off 17. 2nd was 4 up off 4.

Highest score in cat 3 was 1 up. Back tees making scores more realistic now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I am off 20, won a competition recently with 38 points. I was absolutely banging the driver, short game was only OK. Went out on Saturday, and hit 22 points.
    It sums up my game, brilliant one day, dreadful the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I couldn't complain about anyone having 1 freak round or run of holes. Calling them a bandit with no context is ridiculous.

Also there are no bandits throwing in level par rounds in an open singles/bog standard early year comp at this time of the year.

Winner of the singles comp at the weekend had 48 points off 18. That's what, 6 over gross if there are no scratches?

2nd place was 41 points off 9. Without scratches, that comes out at 4 over gross. I'd say he's incredulous looking at the results and realising he lost by 7 points. If he'd shot 2-under gross, he'd still have lost.

GreeBo wrote: »
    This thread reminds me why I'm glad we play strokes!

What you mean GreeBo - you only pay strokes ?

Winner of the singles comp at the weekend had 48 points off 18. That's what, 6 over gross if there are no scratches?

2nd place was 41 points off 9. Without scratches, that comes out at 4 over gross. I'd say he's incredulous looking at the results and realising he lost by 7 points. If he'd shot 2-under gross, he'd still have lost.

Was it a full course - with no local rules ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

We have had very few competitions in my club so far because of the weather. The highest score was 40 points and the next highest was 35 from four competitions. Very seldom we get scores over 40 points.

Advertisement