Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What scores are winning in your Club these days?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fullstop wrote: »
    That one was especially for you :P

I figured but bit anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

I dont get all the fuss to be honest.. What if it was a par 4 and he laid up playing it as a par 5 would we get the same reaction?

I struggle with the first hole on my course. Its Athy for those who dont know. Its a par 4, dog leg left with oob right. the landing zone has trees either side and bunkers. So a hook or slice and you have no shot to green. The green is long and narrow with bunkers either side I think its index 6 or 7. I very rarely score on it. If you were to average it out. So this year I took a different approach. I hit 4I or Rescue off the Tee. Hitting the fairway 8/10 times now. still leaves a 200yd approach to the green but have made it or just been a little short and now am scoring on it regularly apart from the odd brain fart.

My mate who I play with regularly goes nuts! That's not golf take the driver don't be afraid of it etc... Its not a particularly hard hole in fact if you hit a good drive you will have a wedge in. But its a low index for a reason as its the first, most people aren't warmed up, trees, bunkers, oob right surround the landing zone so Im playing the % shot.

You be amazed at the amount of people that scratch it and lets face it nobody wants to be starting their round off with a scratch! Good thread even though it went totally off topic but we rolled with it :D

benny79 wrote: »
    I dont get all the fuss to be honest.. What if it was a par 4 and he laid up playing it as a par 5 would we get the same reaction?

I struggle with the first hole on my course. Its Athy for those who dont know. Its a par 4, dog leg left with oob right. the landing zone has trees either side and bunkers. So a hook or slice and you have no shot to green. The green is long and narrow with bunkers either side I think its index 6 or 7. I very rarely score on it. If you were to average it out. So this year I took a different approach. I hit 4I or Rescue off the Tee. Hitting the fairway 8/10 times now. still leaves a 200yd approach to the green but have made it or just been a little short and now am scoring on it regularly apart from the odd brain fart.

My mate who I play with regularly goes nuts! That's not golf take the driver don't be afraid of it etc... Its not a particularly hard hole in fact if you hit a good drive you will have a wedge in. But its a low index for a reason as its the first, most people aren't warmed up, trees, bunkers, oob right surround the landing zone so Im playing the % shot.

You be amazed at the amount of people that scratch it and lets face it nobody wants to be starting their round off with a scratch! Good thread even though it went totally off topic but we rolled with it :D

Exactly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/12/sports/golf/12casper.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭valoren

On the 12th hole at Water Rock in Cork, it's a long Par 3, index 1.

It usually has a sucker pin per the below example. It's 240 yards from the back and 219 from the medal tee per below.

When playing a casual/practice round, you would go for it i.e. the Red being the apex, anything right is gone. When competing you just don't with the blue your apex. It's a hybrid for me. Left/straight/Right still gives you a chance to Gross Par or at worse a Net Par.

450456.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,616 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Par 3s should never be anything over 205 yrds for a medal tee. 220 is a joke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

callaway92 wrote: »
    Par 3s should never be anything over 205 yrds for a medal tee. 220 is a joke

Why? I agree with you in my gut, but what's actually wrong with it? I'm okay with a long par 4 that's out of range for the older members in two most days, so why not a par 3 that they can't reach from the tee? Or that I can't reach some days?

Also, the par 3/4/5 is a guideline anyway. Sometimes a par 4 plays as a par 5 and vice versa.

blue note wrote: »
    Why? I agree with you in my gut, but what's actually wrong with it? I'm okay with a long par 4 that's out of range for the older members in two most days, so why not a par 3 that they can't reach from the tee? Or that I can't reach some days?

Also, the par 3/4/5 is a guideline anyway. Sometimes a par 4 plays as a par 5 and vice versa.

Exactly, some see the par of the hole as the instructions for how to play it, whereas its that at all.

Advertisement