Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your no-no's with dating?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Women with sunglasses on in every photo - I only know what half your face looks like!
    Have the tagline "carpe diem" - boring!
    Have a username ending in "...TheCat", there's loads of these for some reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Nash Quick Sawhorse

I go on and off tinder and it annoys me when Girls who keep adding me on tinder and then never speak....why bother

Zirconia wrote: »
    Women with sunglasses on in every photo - I only know what half your face looks like!
    Have the tagline "carpe diem" - boring!
    Have a username ending in "...TheCat", there's loads of these for some reason?

probably because they have 4 cats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I go on and off tinder and it annoys me when Girls who keep adding me on tinder and then never speak....why bother

That's why I move to bumble. They have to initiate the conversations. Sure there's a few times where they don't and that's annoying but it's still less effort for me.

Although here's an annoyance with bumble. There's no option to change the distance it searches. It keeps showing me women down the west.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

Grayson wrote: »
    That's why I move to bumble. They have to initiate the conversations. Sure there's a few times where they don't and that's annoying but it's still less effort for me.

Although here's an annoyance with bumble. There's no option to change the distance it searches. It keeps showing me women down the west.

Tinder is a waste of time. Bumble is the absolute bomb though, so easy to get dates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Nash Quick Sawhorse

ya ive gone on that, the distance thing annoys me as I'm in cork and no offence, Id rather match someone in the cork vicinity not ones living say from Galway/Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

‘Looking for my queen/princess’

That's hilariously cringey, do many lads actually say that?

In addition to the stuff mentioned already
    Machu Picchu photos were a no no for me when I was on Tinder. Every girl had them and boasted about their love of travel. As if treading the same steps as countless millions of others made them special. I doubt 1 in 10 could tell you the first thing about the Incas.

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Machu Picchu photos were a no no for me when I was on Tinder. Every girl had them and boasted about their love of travel. As if treading the same steps as countless millions of others made them special. I doubt 1 in 10 could tell you the first thing about the Incas.

yeah that irks me too! Like you're privileged enough to go on fancy holidays, big f**king deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Any positive mention of rugby or 'the' gym Sedated tiger photo

People listing the gym as a hobby. What's that about?

I will admit to being a rugby fan and mentioning it. It's a huge part of my life so if someone is going to find that outputting, best they know from the get-go.

Guys shooting their cuffs seems to be the new stoned tiger.

My personal bugbears:

Wearing sunglasses/a baseball cap in every single photo - everyone is good-looking in sunglasses.

"Willing to say we met in Tesco" - next!

"Any decent women left/on dis?" - bitterest man in the living room.

Pics with babies they're at pains to point out isn't theirs - hedging your bets much there lads?

Pics are all selfies - have they literally not got a single friend or family member to take a photo of them?

Pics are all group shots - no need to waste time trying to figure out which one is the profile owner, it's always the ugliest one.

Pics with celebs - nobody is impressed and you're really just highlighting how nondescript you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

The 'guess which one is me' profiles
    Self described 'foodies'
    Hey or hi one word intros on bumble.
    The above intro coupled with no info on the bio
    Profiles with no pictures, I mean what's the point.
    +1 million on the head only pics.

Girls in Leinster jerseys, shudder!

Oh yeah what's the story with women having pictures with that weirdo Brent Pope?

givyjoe wrote: »
    The 'guess which one is me' profiles
    Self described 'foodies'
    Hey or hi one word intros on bumble.
    The above intro coupled with no info on the bio
    Profiles with no pictures, I mean what's the point.
    +1 million on the head only pics.

Also, every second profile seems to a picture from a swing in the same fcuking venue. Where is this magical must have dating photo swing?!

Ugh, meant to not reply to my own post.

givyjoe wrote:
    Also, every second profile seems to a picture from a swing in the same fcuking venue. Where is this magical must have dating photo swing?!

Sophies. Took over from the giant silver chair in the Wright venue a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'd rather that than the ones posting photos of their week in magaluf. What's wrong with travelling and posting photos of exotic places? Magaluf etc doesn't count.

• Advertisement

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'd rather that than the ones posting photos of their week in magaluf. What's wrong with travelling and posting photos of exotic places? Magaluf etc doesn't count.

What's wrong with Magaluf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What's wrong with Magaluf?

What's wrong with Machu Pichu?

Shock horror. Different people have different opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Height or weight requirements. I'm not short and I'm in decent shape, but I don't want to date someone who is that shallow.

Thing is that the likes of Tinder and Bumble is pretty much based on looks.

Mine would be:
    Rugby jersey
    All group photos
    Gym pics with snapchat overlaid text
    Mad eyebrows
    Lots of holiday photos
    Motivational/funny pics as profile pics

Anything else is fair game basically.

What's wrong with Machu Pichu?

Shock horror. Different people have different opinions.

Shock horror why? Nothing wrong with MP, I think people just see it as kind of "Look how great I am I've been to X" sometimes. Everyone has been everywhere these days so who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

"No pic no reply" on a profile with no photo of themselves.

• Advertisement

Girls in Leinster jerseys, shudder!

colm_mcm wrote:
    Mine would be: Rugby jersey

Beginning to understand why I'm still single...

Oh well. Perhaps I'll meet a like-minded chap in Bilbao.

*cries into Leinster jersey in the meantime*

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

More than a few! I saw one profile that took it to an extreme- I’m paraphrasing now but essentially was “missing: my princess and light of my life. Looks like: brunette, dark eyes, big smile. Likes: dancing, intense man, laughing. If found, please contact me”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Eva Green came up to me once and said: "Pac1Man, I want you now". We kissed passionately and as my hands and eyes started to wander south, I saw the telltale glint of red under her black top and instantly knew it was going to be a wild night.

As calmly as I could with my hands trembling, I began to unbutton her top. I got to the last two buttons but to my horror, that red glint revealed itself to be a Munster jersey.

Cursing my luck once again I sat back and said, "Eva you're a lovely girl but I'm going to say the same thing I said to Scarlett Johansson last week. Rugby jerseys are one of my deal breakers so we're going to have to call it a day".

So rugby jerseys would be my bugbear too.

Well there's so much choice out there with internet dating, and rugby kind of annoys me, so I may as well skip the girls into rugby, that's the beauty of internet dating, and probably it's biggest flaw too, too much choice!

Well there's so much choice out there with internet dating, and rugby kind of annoys me, so I may as well skip the girls into rugby, that's the beauty of internet dating, and probably it's biggest flaw too, too much choice!

That's the thing.. no one has any patience.

givyjoe wrote: »
    That's the thing.. no one has any patience.

And I'm the biggest cynic in the world but I met someone recently from Bumble and it just feels so natural and easy for a change. It's so hit and miss though!

Oh any pictures with repeal the 8th t shirts etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Trump, 'Irexit' or Love Boat heads. Shrivels me quicker than a cold day off the Donegal coast.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Beginning to understand why I'm still single...

Oh well. Perhaps I'll meet a like-minded chap in Bilbao.

*cries into Leinster jersey in the meantime*

When I see a load of rugby photo's I do think "if I date this girl am I going to be doing this every weekend in rugby season"?

When I see a load of rugby photo's I do think "if I date this girl am I going to be doing this every weekend in rugby season"?

And the horrible D4 accent goes hand in hand with women who like rugby!

• Advertisement

There’s a strangely high number of women with pictures on horses and for some reason I swipe past these ones every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Christ I'm glad I met my missus the good old fashioned way.
    I was renting out a room in my apartment in Sydney. She moved in with her mate. After a few too many beers we shifted in a smelly kip of an irish bar at about 4 in the morning then we shared a bag of chips an hour later. The rest is history.
    You young people will never know romance like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Debtocracy

There are girls online with almost every undesirable trait imaginable and they still get plenty of attention. So I’m not convinced that there’s too many men out there with standards like ‘I’d never date a girl wearing a rugby jersey’, when they don’t even seem to be applying a basic standard of ‘I’d never date a drug using, single mother with borderline personality disorder’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

at the moment a friend of mine is balls deep in all this internet dating malarkey. Every time you look at him hes either swiping or on pof.

Im convinced its done him serious harm, as when we are on a night out if we're talking to a group of girls he turtles up completley.

He was never like this before he got into the online dating.

I believe online dating can do serious harm to a persons social skills.

Debtocracy wrote: »
    There are girls online with almost every undesirable trait imaginable and they still get plenty of attention. So I’m not convinced that there’s too many men out there with standards like ‘I’d never date a girl wearing a rugby jersey’, when they don’t even seem to be applying a basic standard of ‘I’d never date a drug using, single mother with borderline personality disorder’

Some of us are good looking enough to be choosy. Having your sh*t together and no baggage helps too.

If, instead of simply using the word dog, they use the term "d*ggo". :mad::mad:
    I have genuinely swiped left solely for that reason and will do so again.

*even typing it rises my blood pressure, hence the asterisk.

Oh another thing I don’t like is endless photos of themselves dressed like Mary Robinson at weddings.

And the horrible D4 accent goes hand in hand with women who like rugby!

It really doesn't. I've been going to matches for donkeys years and the stereotypical D4 contingent, both male and female, is miniscule.

Also, what about Connacht/Munster/Ulster fans? Do they all have this "horrible D4 accent?"

The funny thing is girl I’m seeing now works with horses for a living, she just didn’t post any equine photos

It's the lairy chick from First Dates, isn't it?

• Advertisement

It really doesn't. I've been going to matches for donkeys years and the stereotypical D4 contingent, both male and female, is miniscule.

Also, what about Connacht/Munster/Ulster fans? Do they all have this "horrible D4 accent?"

Yeah, D4 seems to be all over Ireland, especially with women.

It's the lairy chick from First Dates, isn't it?

I’ve never seen first dates!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

I don't like the intentionally obnoxious masquerading as quirky personality type vibe, so those kind of comments usually put me off. Also I only date within my own race and I don't date single mothers. That aside I'm pretty easygoing.

A northside friend of mine started seeing another northsider. Her and all of her friends watch rugby. Now he's in a pub every single weekend During rugby season.

It's not that any of them are bad or anything. They're lovely people. I just don't want to spend my weekends like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

mfceiling wrote: »
    Christ I'm glad I met my missus the good old fashioned way.
    I was renting out a room in my apartment in Sydney. She moved in with her mate. After a few too many beers we shifted in a smelly kip of an irish bar at about 4 in the morning then we shared a bag of chips an hour later. The rest is history.
    You young people will never know romance like that.

Met mine walking to work at 4am in toronto in the winter she was walking to work the other way. Said hello to her after a week meeting in the same spot and the rest is history
    *May have been shifting in Irish bar

Grayson wrote:
    A northside friend of mine started seeing another northsider. Her and all of her friends watch rugby. Now he's in a pub every single weekend During rugby season.

If they don't all have horrible D4 accents I'm calling bullsh*t...

• Advertisement

If they don't all have horrible D4 accents I'm calling bullsh*t...

Plenty of D4 accents on the Northside!

Plenty of D4 accents on the Northside!

Pretty sure what you're thinking of is the Mid-Atlantic accent and it has nothing to do with D4.

Pretty sure what you're thinking of is the Mid-Atlantic accent and it has nothing to do with D4.

Maybe I am, yeah, I don't actually know anyone from Ballsbridge. Equally as bad though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Some of us are good looking enough to be choosy. Having your sh*t together and no baggage helps too.

And modest. Don't forget that. Girls love a man who's modest.

And modest. Don't forget that. Girls love a man who's modest.

I've got modesty written all over my chiselled face

• Advertisement
Advertisement