Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your no-no's with dating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Wouldn’t date unemployed people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Dial Hard wrote: »
    You ve made your feelings on Irish women abundantly clear in plenty of other threads, BB, can we not just leave it there considering you don't even date anymore?

I'm genuinely not having a go, I'm just not sure what an avowed MGTOW-er is really going to add to this thread other than "All Irish women (sorry, 60%) are stuck-up bitches" when thankfully, amazingly, we've largely steered clear of that rhetoric so far.

Well I'm glad you're keeping tabs on my posts and remember me so well.

Im talking about the dating scene, not Irish women in general.

You log into pof and come back 6 months later,shes I'll guarantee you'll see the same brats on it.

Same old cliches, looking for a relationship.....

Maybe meet once a fortnight for two hours, come on is that a relationship.

Or wants to date nothing serious, but do as I say not as I do.

Men going their own way has lots of advantages....we're not all like big John on YouTube.....

Like femminists....we're not all burnt or resentful towards the opposite sex....

I just love being single, and having half sleeve tatoos,stubble, athletic and a silver fox has it's advantages....

Im not desperate, quite happily single loads of female friend's some are femminists....some are not.

I say it as I see it, no offense to be taken...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

you’re all over the place burrito wtf are you on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can be size 10-14 and be 'curvy' in that you have a reasonable figure with fuller hips/bust/whatever.

However, it's amazing how many women call themselves a 'curvy girl' when they're clearly (and often morbidly) obese. Or else try to hide their figure by taking all their photos from weird angles.

I met a girl one time who was quite average looking in her many photos (weight wise) but was absolutely massive in real life - so big I didn't even recognize her, and she was clearly significantly older too so the pictures she was using were probably years old.

We're talking size 10/12 in photos, to maybe 20+ in person, just for clarity.

I'm too polite a person to make any sort of deal of it and figured a drink or two can't hurt anyway but we were just talking about online dating and she actually started giving out about men using old and misleading photos, I was just honestly speechless.

Another time, some time later, the same thing happened again, but this time I just couldn't let it go and had to say to her that it was quite an unfair thing to do, to create an image and expectation that was not really remotely representative of who she was in person. She actually flew off the handle and started calling me a shallow pig, etc.

I don't really have any no-no's for online dating but radically misleading photos would be the main one. Ironically it's nothing to do with weight, I wouldn't ever rule out someone based on weight unless they were pretty extreme, but it's the deliberate attempt to put forward what is essentially a lie and expect people to just be fine with it.

Can't stress enough that I'm absolutely not talking about 'putting your best photos forward' because obviously we all do that, but more the seriously misleading photos that effectively paint a picture of a different person altogether.

Having said that the vast majority of people I've met are really nice and exactly what I expected, and I honestly if you make any sort of vague effort online at all, it's pretty easy to get dates.

It seems to me a lot of guys put in a) no effort into their profiles and b) even less effort in attempting to engage women in actual decent conversation and then end up moaning about how the problem is with the women rather than them.

Most women are inundated with messages all the time. "Hi how are you today" isn't going to put you at the top of their list. If you make a decent effort with your profile too, women will often message you first because you stand out from the driftweed.

you’re all over the place burrito wtf are you on about

I come from a land down under......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This what is/isn't curvy debate has just reminded me of living abroad (many lines of latitude north). Being over there wasn't so notable as coming back. Walking down the street goes from normal to walking through the elephant paddock. We're a nation with such rampant obesity.

If Irish women and men weren't such pigs this wouldn't be such an issue on dating sites. And no, you aren't a big boned anomaly among the pan european population love, you're a little pig (obvious exceptions for non imagined medical causes).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Collie D wrote: »
    Oh, and teachers. Nothing against them in general but I'd probably resent having to take holidays at specific times of year

Yeah, specifically half term, easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas.What a chore!

ED E wrote: »
    This what is/isn't curvy debate has just reminded me of living abroad (many lines of latitude north). Being over there wasn't so notable as coming back. Walking down the street goes from normal to walking through the elephant paddock. We're a nation with such rampant obesity.

If Irish women and men weren't such pigs this wouldn't be such an issue on dating sites. And no, you aren't a big boned anomaly among the pan european population love, you're a little pig (obvious exceptions for non imagined medical causes).

It's great going incognito here I totally agree with you there.

Nothing much you can do with a Rolex face and a Casio strap....

But a Casio face and a Rolex strap....im OK with that.

I find the girl next door look and a fit body more attractive than the stunning face and stunning figure....

Casio face and Rolex strap does it for me.

It's great going incognito here I totally agree with you there.

Nothing much you can do with a Rolex face and a Casio strap....

But a Casio face and a Rolex strap....im OK with that.

I find the girl next door look and a fit body more attractive than the stunning face and stunning figure....

Casio face and Rolex strap does it for me.

Casio face and rolex strap? What are you on about?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

He totally doesn't need or want a watch in any case.

• Advertisement

Casio face and rolex strap? What are you on about?

Am get with the wit.

It's a metaphor....

He totally doesn't need or want a watch in any case.

That's what I thought given all the MGTOW stuff but I don't think Beefburrito knows what he wants :)

I will break it down for you, he likes women with ok faces and gre!t bodies.

I'm not all that familiar with what those watches look like. Although as I say weight can be worked on, face not so much :p

That's what I thought given all the MGTOW stuff but I don't think Beefburrito knows what he wants :)

Yes you're right about that, but sure I'm spontaneous and I'll admit yes I'm not great at relationships...

Im OK at everything else though lol

I'm not all that familiar with what those watches look like. Although as I say weight can be worked on, face not so much :p

Well a girl next door look is nice...shes not ugly she's not hot..

Pleasant looking....like a not so dramatic looking landscape where the sun goes down or rises and it's beautiful none the less.

Im come from an artistic creative back ground, so I tend to speak metaphorically rather than the way regular people speak.

So I'm sorry if I come across all confusing to some here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Collie D wrote: »
    Oh, and teachers. Nothing against them in general but I'd probably resent having to take holidays at specific times of year

To be fair, you'd have the entire summer and large swathes of the year to choose from!

givyjoe wrote: »
    To be fair, you'd have the entire summer and large swathes of the year to choose from!

Lecturer's are worse....dated one for 6 month's and she threw strops because I wouldn't take time off to join her on her jaunts around Europe on college holidays...

I said hun off with you go yourself and enjoy the break, I'll be OK here...

An evening in Doolin, looking towards the Aran Island's, listening to cafe Del Mar from my bose Bluetooth speaker and a take away coffee is more beautiful than anywhere else in the world...

Sure love Doolins grand, you go to Valencia I'll be OK in Clare, safe flight now.

See you next Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

givyjoe wrote: »

True but then you're going away at peak and the costs and numbers of people that go with that. Plus I'd resent her again when I had to go back to work after my week off and she takes up golf or goes backpacking in Peru.

I don't want to start an off topic debate about teachers' holidays so I'll point out I know these issues are all my own :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Im come from an artistic creative back ground, so I tend to speak metaphorically rather than the way regular people speak.

No-country-for-old-men-tommy-lee-jones-25069727-450-276.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

What this thread is telling me is lots of us are rushing to judgement over insignificant things. (Don't tell me someone wearing a rugby shirt is categorical proof that that defines their character). Too many reasons to shout next or block (why do you need to block???, are you being stalked by someone on a horse) instead of trying to find someone you maybe engage with for some quirky or unexpected reason.

Kinda scary to think people are approaching dating with an attitude of if there's one thing wrong, I'm swiping left. Much more likely to remain single with this attitude.

And yes, I'm partly talking to myself here.

If I go on tinder/bumble I'm faced with hundreds of women and just their photo's most of the time. So you see 5 photo's and make a judgement call. When the people put up those photo's they thought of it as a reflection of who they are.

Sites like okcupid are generally better because they get you to answer questions and put in a description but when you're looking you do tend to cast a wide net.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    No-country-for-old-men-tommy-lee-jones-25069727-450-276.jpg

You're an artist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I'm not suggesting people shouldn't try to find their ideal partner but I think there's a tendency now to not tolerate any feature you dislike because the absolute perfect partner is out there. Which, I believe is false.

I remember reading though a girls list of requirements online and she was down to just a few percent of people without going through the hard to quantify ones. Just stuff like height, age and having a degree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Vlad Kelly

Ah yeah, apart from the old racism I'm sound as ****.

Haha yeah sure. The weird irony with you leftist creeps is out of everybody you have the lowest opinion of racists, yet you throw the word around at the drop of a hat. It's really quite revealing as to how low your character is.

glasso wrote: »
    "A la carte feminism" would be an appropriate way of putting it lol.
    "Let's just keep the guy paying bit cos that's nice".
    If a guy was on say 4 dinner dates in a month, 60 euro a head if it was a decent place with drinks and tip that's 500 squid.

(not to derail the thread because there are hundreds of feminism threads)
    I wouldn't call a woman who insists on a man paying a feminist. And I don't know any feminists who do.

Grayson wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a woman who insists on a man paying a feminist. And I don't know any feminists who do.

Neither would I. Not a feminist certainly. A cheapskate more likely, or simply a "user". Fine, I'm kinda traditional so if I invite someone out I'm good with paying for the first few dates (within reason), but I wouldn't accept a woman who expected me to pay for everything all the time. Ireland is far too expensive for that kind of dating.

But then TBH the dating I've had here has usually been split equally. It's only in more traditional (and cheaper) countries where there is the expectation of the man paying for everything.

So I'm sorry if I come across all confusing to some here.

:pac:

I didn't really mean that they would be feminists per se- more the a la carte attitude to "equality".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I don’t know Mr Burrito, I lived in London for years and couldn’t get a date to save my life. In Dublin it’s easy. I don’t think you can generalise to that extent.

Really :eek:
    That doesnt make sense based on a numbers game at all
    The more women the more likely you are to get a date
    In Toronto/Sydney/London/Paris i could get a date every day if i wanted it was never the case in Galway where i always did ok but it was not comparable
    I cant really talk about Dublin as i only go up for nights out

irishman86 wrote: »
    Really :eek:
    That doesnt make sense based on a numbers game at all
    The more women the more likely you are to get a date
    In Toronto/Sydney/London/Paris i could get a date every day if i wanted it was never the case in Galway where i always did ok but it was not comparable
    I cant really talk about Dublin as i only go up for nights out

Agreed, population plays a big role in dating, but there's also the 'dating scene' which in more populous areas becomes an established community. NY, for example, is an amazing dating scene with very little effort needed to find someone for dating.

I was surprised he found London difficult, but I guess it would depend where you were hanging out and who your friends were. I'd recommend the bars around the professional/office areas. Seriously strong dating culture there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Question for the ladies that have an online dating profile, how many messages a day do you get and what prompts you to delete them or reply?
    Good banter, attractiveness etc......

This attitude drives me insane
    My sisters say that about themselves and there kids and i get so angry
    My brother and i are 6 ft 13-14 stone, they are 5 5 and the same weight and neither our parents are fat, my nephew is 6ft and 19 stonne and they coo over how big a man he is :confused:. The obsession with fast food in Ireland is mad

Agreed, population plays a big role in dating, but there's also the 'dating scene' which in more populous areas becomes an established community. NY, for example, is an amazing dating scene with very little effort needed to find someone for dating.

I was surprised he found London difficult, but I guess it would depend where you were hanging out and who your friends were. I'd recommend the bars around the professional/office areas. Seriously strong dating culture there.

Nail on the head buddy, used to go to cocktail bars on fridays and its was really easy purely due to the relaxed environment and number of people
    I never have or will partake in the chase in NY :( #regrets
    A friend of mine goes to Boston every summer and loves it although i suppose the advantage of a irish accent there is massive

Nail on the head buddy, used to go to cocktail bars on fridays and its was really easy purely due to the relaxed environment and number of people
    A friend of mine goes to Boston every summer and loves it although i suppose the advantage of a irish accent there is massive

Ahh well, I went to speech classes to lose my accent. haha. It was important for my line of work at one stage to have a neutral accent.

Nah, NY or any major city with an established dating scene is more focused. The problem I find with Ireland is that going out is very diluted. People are mostly out "in general" rather than any real desire for dating. Oh, sure there are a few bars (in Dublin) which supposedly are geared towards the pickup/dating scene, but they're quite seedy places with the entire focus being on ONS usually with people getting wasted drunk on the way. There's very little in the way of classy bars where women & men dress up properly, flirt and work slowly towards the sexual element.

NY was fun, but it's a very brittle and arrogant city. The dating scene is very unforgiving with people often being very harsh with each other. There's also massive gossip circle so word gets around quickly about everyones business... I enjoyed it for a while but became disillusioned. Money, wealth and connections are incredibly important, and i find that kind of thing very superficial.

TBH I've found better dating scenes in Europe and Asia. German cities like Munich are really good, and I'd highly recommend Milan. It's an annoying city but the dating environment is really good. Very focused, and very honest about it. But my favorite city for dating is Tokyo. Japan is just fantastic for their dating scene, both with Japanese people and with the expat community. A very positive experience.

Boston’s nightlife is incredibly boring compared to Dublin for e.g. Most of downtown is like a ghost town at night and most of the bars are trendy cocktail type place where you’re assigned a server and a table for the night and there’s not much interaction between anyone. There’s the likes of Durty Nellys etc which are pretty good but compared to many cities we don’t know how good we’ve got it in Dublin and most of Ireland for nightlife.

The problem I find with Ireland is that going out is very diluted. People are mostly out "in general" rather than any real desire for dating. Oh, sure there are a few bars (in Dublin) which supposedly are geared towards the pickup/dating scene, but they're quite seedy places with the entire focus being on ONS usually with people getting wasted drunk on the way.

Just say Coppers :)

• Advertisement

Ahh well, I went to speech classes to lose my accent. haha. It was important for my line of work at one stage to have a neutral accent.

Nah, NY or any major city with an established dating scene is more focused. The problem I find with Ireland is that going out is very diluted. People are mostly out "in general" rather than any real desire for dating. Oh, sure there are a few bars (in Dublin) which supposedly are geared towards the pickup/dating scene, but they're quite seedy places with the entire focus being on ONS usually with people getting wasted drunk on the way. There's very little in the way of classy bars where women & men dress up properly, flirt and work slowly towards the sexual element.

NY was fun, but it's a very brittle and arrogant city. The dating scene is very unforgiving with people often being very harsh with each other. There's also massive gossip circle so word gets around quickly about everyones business... I enjoyed it for a while but became disillusioned. Money, wealth and connections are incredibly important, and i find that kind of thing very superficial.

TBH I've found better dating scenes in Europe and Asia. German cities like Munich are really good, and I'd highly recommend Milan. It's an annoying city but the dating environment is really good. Very focused, and very honest about it. But my favorite city for dating is Tokyo. Japan is just fantastic for their dating scene, both with Japanese people and with the expat community. A very positive experience.

It really shouldn’t be that complicated. Be friendly and nice and dating in Ireland is great, lots of nice people out there.

Just say Coppers :)

Coppers :D

It really shouldn’t be that complicated. Be friendly and nice and dating in Ireland is great, lots of nice people out there.

Did I say it was complicated? Irish dating is fine for the Irish people who prefer that kind of dating.

I've stayed single most of my adult life, and I've lived abroad extensively. Every country has different kinds of dating environments. Personally, I enjoy a variety of dating scenes, but don't particularly enjoy the scene here in Ireland. It's not an insult. Just a preference.

As for "nice" people, there are loads of nice people everywhere. But we're talking about dating... and dating is affected by your own personal preferences. We just have different preferences. I prefer rather slim women who enjoy wearing dresses, light makeup and high-heels. I find that to be rare here in Ireland. And again, that's not a dig at Irish women... I just don't find most I've met to be attractive. No doubt many of them wouldn't be attracted to me either.

I loved Koeln so such a chill place and great for it, only been to Italy with the wife so cant speak about it in a romantic way
    Its funny what you say about NY as i heard it was similar to Toronto which for me is the best city ive ever dated in. The girls were so relaxed it was such a change of pace, no notions that every date needed to be a future spouse (I was 28 so talking about that age in Ireland obviously not younger)
    I enjoy a night out in Dublin but its been to those seedy places :pac:
    My best friend currently lives in China having spent the last two years in dublin and he was saying how he only went on two dates with Irish ladies in the capital the rest were international women
    I think in Ireland people go out to get ****ed drunk not ****ed :pac::pac:

Boston’s nightlife is incredibly boring compared to Dublin for e.g. Most of downtown is like a ghost town at night and most of the bars are trendy cocktail type place where you’re assigned a server and a table for the night and there’s not much interaction between anyone. There’s the likes of Durty Nellys etc which are pretty good but compared to many cities we don’t know how good we’ve got it in Dublin and most of Ireland for nightlife.

Ive never been buddy, but i do enjoy a cocktail bar :o
    Im not massive into the drinking culture but i do think Dublin can be a great night out 100% as can Galway. I actually will say ive never had a bad night in the capital but i never got the feeling its got a great dating scene which is off course different to the night life
    Once you leave the cities in Ireland the night life is super cliquey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Brae100 wrote: »
    Someone posted earlier that their turn off was if if a man had children. I've seen this sentiment expressed by a few women on POF and am intrigued by it for a couple of reasons. I don't think men state in their profile that they wouldn't date a woman with kids (very much open to correction here as I am not familiar with other men's profiles). But as a lone male parent I was surprised to see this requitement in some women's profiles. In my experience, most women are actually very positive about a man who has kids and is proven in that area.

I don't think it's strange at all. Not all women (or men) want children. No problem if it's just a fling but what if the relationship deepens? All of a sudden, you have children in your life where you hadn't planned to.

And, children are understandably at the forefront of a parent's mind. In the early, heady days of dating, half the fun is flitting away spontaneously for a dirty weekend whenever you please. Not so easy to do when one of you is a parent. Children always are a consideration in any plans, naturally. Not everyone wants to deal with that, depending on the stage of life they are at or if they just don't want children themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

You're an artist

You're a dope

I dont agree with that buddy. Irish girls can be some of the rudest/aggressive women that walk this earth and guys with the massive drinking culture just as much
    *Off course there is nice people out there but its a minority

Did I say it was complicated? Irish dating is fine for the Irish people who prefer that kind of dating.

I've stayed single most of my adult life, and I've lived abroad extensively. Every country has different kinds of dating environments. Personally, I enjoy a variety of dating scenes, but don't particularly enjoy the scene here in Ireland. It's not an insult. Just a preference.

As for "nice" people, there are loads of nice people everywhere. But we're talking about dating... and dating is affected by your own personal preferences. We just have different preferences. I prefer rather slim women who enjoy wearing dresses, light makeup and high-heels. I find that to be rare here in Ireland. And again, that's not a dig at Irish women... I just don't find most I've met to be attractive. No doubt many of them wouldn't be attracted to me either.

This is exactly it, why do they seek insult in it :eek:
    Good chance im not there type just so happens i am a sexy Italian Argentines type ;)

Its funny what you say about NY as i heard it was similar to Toronto which for me is the best city ive ever dated in. The girls were so relaxed it was such a change of pace, no notions that every date needed to be a future spouse (I was 28 so talking about that age in Ireland obviously not younger)I enjoy a night out in Dublin but its been to those seedy places :pac:

The thing is that it depends on what you're looking for and the type of places you go to find it. In NY I was working for prosperous Financial consulting firm, so my social circle were all colleagues or the people working in legal firms nearby. There wasn't any real need to explore further since the women available were already stunning, but they would never be described as relaxed. :D Highly intelligent career driven women with serious ambitions.

I didn't get to experience the other parts of NY so much. Went to a few football games, did a few street pickups (which were nice), but I have little experience of the other dating scenes there. Id imagine the college scene would be quite something, alas I'd be in the creepy age group for them. :pac:
    My best friend currently lives in China having spent the last two years in dublin and he was saying how he only went on two dates with Irish ladies in the capital the rest were international women
    I think in Ireland people go out to get ****ed drunk not ****ed :pac::pac:

Your friend would probably confirm this but China is incredible for finding a girlfriend or casual dating. Yes, the cliches come to mind and they're kinda true, but being exotic in a foreign country is quite nice, and make the whole part of finding interested women much easier. (I lived in China for 7 years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I don't recognise this at all. Where do you live?

This is exactly it, why do they seek insult in it :eek:
    Good chance im not there type just so happens i am a sexy Italian Argentines type ;)

Dunno... I just put it in to avoid the inevitable poster who chooses to get offended as if I'm insulting the entire population.

The thing is that it depends on what you're looking for and the type of places you go to find it. In NY I was working for prosperous Financial consulting firm, so my social circle were all colleagues or the people working in legal firms nearby. There wasn't any real need to explore further since the women available were already stunning, but they would never be described as relaxed. :D Highly intelligent career driven women with serious ambitions.

I didn't get to experience the other parts of NY so much. Went to a few football games, did a few street pickups (which were nice), but I have little experience of the other dating scenes there. Id imagine the college scene would be quite something, alas I'd be in the creepy age group for them. :pac:

Your friend would probably confirm this but China is incredible for finding a girlfriend or casual dating. Yes, the cliches come to mind and they're kinda true, but being exotic in a foreign country is quite nice, and make the whole part of finding interested women much easier. (I lived in China for 7 years)

Ya he is a big fan of China, he does prefer Korea though. Hes 6 7 so he stands out anywhere.
    I worked in recruitment so my group in Toronto was anything from Investment bankers to the local barman. Its what i loved about there, people mixed so well
    The best looking girls in Toronto were in the service industry no doubt about it. Girls i dated there had degrees in teaching/finance/etc but choose to work in the bars. Moxies/Earls girls were clearing 75k a year serving
    A lot did it till late twenties then got into there career but rightly or wrongly they usually had found a downtown man by then

Street pick ups. Jesus you guys are odd.

Street pick ups. Jesus you guys are odd.

Its not that strange tbh
    Like i said i met my wife walking to work at 4am
    If i never said hello we wouldnt have got to know each other

• Advertisement
Advertisement