Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your no-no's with dating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I've read in a number of articles that women rate moody looking men as more attractive than smiley looking men. Also when I see pictures of myself where I've put on a fake smile I always think I like a profoundly mentally handicapped person.

Solution, get someone to take a pic when you're genuinely happy!
    I don't mind the odd straight face pic but lads who look like a sour git in every pic aren't doing themselves any favours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

The whole, looking for a relationship thing cracks me up....

But can only meet you once a fortnight...fck off

Men are looking for a woman who's a lot more free spirited than that.

And by the way, if you got to know a guy properly and noticed the red flags, you'd have made the right decision.

The amount of women who hate their exes and dump their **** on a date is phenomenal.

I say why did you marry him ?

Answer : because he made me feel like nobody else would want me...

My Answer : don't be blaming him for your inability to see it wasn't a healthy relationship to begin with...

There's lots of mental illness out there, how can a woman or man say that about someone else.

Sick behavior

A few of you on here are coming across bitter and angry. When relationships don't work out it's easy to feel incredibly hard done by. I know this and have experienced such feelings in myself. The truth is people make all sorts of decisions for all sorts of reasons. They too have their history, hurts, fears and a whole internal self you will never be privvy to. He or she isn't horrible for not wanting to be with you.

A few of you on here are coming across bitter and angry. When relationships don't work out it's easy to feel incredibly hard done by. I know this and have experienced such feelings in myself. The truth is people make all sorts of decisions for all sorts of reasons. They too have their history, hurts, fears and a whole internal self you will never be privvy to. He or she isn't horrible for not wanting to be with you.

That's why anyone who really wants to live a life of moderation and break free from the past and put a cork on resentsmets should consider
    going to psychotherapy.

Sometimes trying to fix one hurt with the potential of another is insane.

I dont think posters are bitter, I think they're having a laugh at the online dating scene, and are aware it's a load ****e.

A friend of mine she's into the fetish scene,yoy she told me she met really nice, intelligent and attractive people on fetlife....

It's a dating site for people who are open about their sexual desires and there's no bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A friend of mine she's into the fetish scene,yoy she told me she met really nice, intelligent and attractive people on fetlife....

It's a dating site for people who are open about their sexual desires and there's no bull****.

I guarantee you someone, somewhere is complaining about fetlife.

Example, I checked just now and every post on the official Fetlife twitter feed is about problems with the site not working correctly. Leaving that aside I bet people have the same issues with users there as on POF or Tinder or whatever. It's human nature.

I don't know why people feel that just because something isn't for them that it's BS and what their cousins neighbors friend is using is so much better.

I don't see any more BS on online dating than I see in real life. The world is full of different types. Stop obsessing about the weirdos you don't get on with and try to find some weirdos you do. That's it.

• Advertisement

That's why anyone who really wants to live a life of moderation and break free from the past and put a cork on resentsmets should consider
    going to psychotherapy.

Would you consider it yourself?

there's bullsh1t everywhere

Yes I'd consider you try it, you're of the caliber psychotherapy could maybe help you out.

Fair play to you if you need it, go for it.

Yes I'd consider you try it, you're of the caliber psychotherapy could maybe help you out.

That wasn't the question. But you know that don't you.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

LOL.

• Advertisement

Fair play to you if you need it, go for it.

Lookit. Your posts are a mix of being happy without dating, to wanting to meet someone, to how hard it is to meet someone, and frustration around the whole thing. Having a chat with someone might help figure out what it is you want and why your confused in the first place.

Lookit. Your posts are a mix of being happy without dating, to wanting to meet someone, to how hard it is to meet someone, and frustration around the whole thing. Having a chat with someone might help figure out what it is you want and why your confused in the first place.

Your obsession with my posts are quite worrying.
    Where did I say I want to meet someone, Im hypothetically talking about different subjects around the online dating scene.

I think you're lost in translation.

Im quite happy single.

Im not desperate, I've jumped through many of the hoops in the online dating scene.

Frankly I don't give a damn.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Try_harder wrote: »
    And no baggage - I'm a bit like Ryanair on that one.
    Anyone past 25 has some sort of baggage. Crazy, beautiful
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    You don't see an issue with a man specifically stating in his bio that overweight women should swipe left?
    If a man stated that he like a particular girl, there'd be outrage.
    taserfrank wrote: »
    No one will go near me.
    What have you done to change this?

Last date I was on was about a month before moving over here to Toronto, so I'm planing to u my game, and lose some weight. If you're not attracting women, improve yourself.
    Tinder actually have a podcast about it, and they go through the stats of what kinds of profiles get responses, it's actually quite interesting!
    Got a link handy? Always interested in improving myself.
    Whispered wrote: »
    curvy
    Dating in Ireland, this 8/10 times equalled fat, with the 2/10 being non-Irish. Over here in Toronto, it may can fat, but it'll often mean a great figure.
    Grayson wrote: »
    I find ok cupid is the best site out there. Because of all the questions they ask the matches are pretty good.
    I gave up on OKC, as it seemed full of bots at the time (when multiple women have the exact same style of writing and phrases, it gets suspicious. May look back into it.
    zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Too many traveling photos, can't stand that
    Have seen so many selfies with this in the background. 3/4 of them tend to be hot.
    "will fill this in later" - ugh

All photos in side profile - just look at the f-ing camera!
    Or even worse; all photos taken look like she was unaware that they were taken, thus the profile seems even more shady!

=-=

As for high heels, I state I'm 6' 6" in my profile, so that the 5' 10"ers can wear their heels :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

I was online dating for the last 3 years pretty much, it's hard work but I met someone recently and it seems to be working out well, so hang in there.

Anyway. Some women say things like "Looks aren't important but I love beards and tattoos". How stupid.
    Only head shots means they are fat.
    Any mention of rugby, no thanks.
    Yoga pics. Christ.
    Brazilians don't do it for me for some reason, and there seems to be 1000s of them in Dublin.
    Arty pictures are a turn off.
    Any picture where they're playing a guitar or singing on stage.

Also, how come every single girl in their 30s seems to live in Goatstown or Dundrum?
    You sound like hard work. You don't like women who express a preference for beards and tattoos while simultaneously dismissing an entire nationality. You don't like head shots, yoga pics or 'arty' pics or pics of them on stage (do you have something against women with musical talent or what?) or any mention of rugby. Exactly the type of demanding checklist mentality person I'd run a mile to get away from. Spending three years on online dating sounds about right. I'm amazed you ending up meeting someone who lives up to your standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Hammer89 wrote: »
    1) If their opening message is so bland that you can't even respond. I had one message recently from an English girl and it literally said, 'Hey you alright?'. I haven't responded because beyond saying 'Yeah I'm fine thanks', like Father Stone, I'm completely stuck.

Agree with everything you said in your post but come on man! You landed the rare golden egg, a girl starting conversation.

Instead of 'Yeah I'm fine thanks' How about 'Yeah all is good with me just got a 5ft cock extension with arms to match. Got a decent fixed APR rate on them too' See? Much better and leads to more conversation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

irishrebe wrote: »
    You sound like hard work. You don't like women who express a preference for beards and tattoos while simultaneously dismissing an entire nationality. You don't like head shots, yoga pics or 'arty' pics or pics of them on stage (do you have something against women with musical talent or what?) or any mention of rugby. Exactly the type of demanding checklist mentality person I'd run a mile to get away from. Spending three years on online dating sounds about right. I'm amazed you ending up meeting someone who lives up to your standards.

Cheers. I don't think what your preferences are on online dating 100% translate into real life, I think you'll find. The sheer number of photos you look at means you often build up unwarranted prejudices against certain types of photos and profiles.
    I play two instruments myself, I just find putting pictures of yourself playing them on dating sites as a bit wanky. Like look how talented I am.
    I'm writing off Brazilians because they tend to be here to learn English and aren't in the same stage of life that I'm at. I met one in a bar once and went on a couple of dates and it was too much hard work.
    Regardless of my excruciating list of demands, I never had a problem getting dates. The beauty of online dating is that you can be picky. I hope you're ok with that, and if you're not, carry on running a mile or further if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Patrick_Swayze

Why does every girl have their favourite song on tinder as Africa by Toto? Surely someone else has noticed that..

Other things;
    No full length photos
    Photos with filters
    No bios

Especially with the photos I know we all want to show off ourselves in a good light but no point in hiding half your body/face. I try to use photos showing off most angles as there's no point in matching someone n then they see your eg.Instagram n slowly kill conversation after

Cheers. I don't think what your preferences are on online dating 100% translate into real life, I think you'll find. The sheer number of photos you look at means you often build up unwarranted prejudices against certain types of photos and profiles.
    I play two instruments myself, I just find putting pictures of yourself playing them on dating sites as a bit wanky. Like look how talented I am.
    I'm writing off Brazilians because they tend to be here to learn English and aren't in the same stage of life that I'm at. I met one in a bar once and went on a couple of dates and it was too much hard work.
    Regardless of my excruciating list of demands, I never had a problem getting dates. The beauty of online dating is that you can be picky. I hope you're ok with that, and if you're not, carry on running a mile or further if you like.
    You've missed the point spectacularly. The fact you've spent THREE YEARS online dating is in itself a red flag. As is the sort of petty, begrudging mind that would see a photo of someone playing an instrument and assume they were showing off and being wanky. God forbid someone would be proud of their achievements or wanting to find someone with things in common, eh?

You've missed the point spectacularly. The fact you've spent THREE YEARS online dating is in itself a red flag. As is the sort of petty, begrudging mind that would see a photo of someone playing an instrument and assume they were showing off and being wanky. God forbid someone would be proud of their achievements or wanting to find someone with things in common, eh?

Ok I apologise for having preferences. I think you’re missing the point of this thread. Nevertheless I shall go home and contemplate everything about myself. THREE YEARS without finding someone. I’m a failure!

You've missed the point spectacularly. The fact you've spent THREE YEARS online dating is in itself a red flag.

Only if you assume the only purpose of online dating is to have a serious relationship. Many people don't want a serious relationship, and are happy with the shorter relationships.

Hardly a red flag.

• Advertisement

You've missed the point spectacularly. The fact you've spent THREE YEARS online dating is in itself a red flag.

Only if you assume the only purpose of online dating is to have a serious relationship. Many people don't want a serious relationship, and are happy with the shorter relationships.

Hardly a red flag.
    It is for me, because I have no interest in one night stands or pointless relationships that are never going to go anywhere. There are several reasons someone is on online dating for years on end and none of them are good: a) they keep getting dumped/can't maintain a relationship, b) they have such ridiculous expectations that they can never be happy with anyone (or anything?) and c) they're not looking for a relationship (and how many are honest about that?)

It is for me, because I have no interest in one night stands or pointless relationships that are never going to go anywhere. There are several reasons someone is on online dating for years on end and none of them are good: a) they keep getting dumped/can't maintain a relationship, b) they have such ridiculous expectations that they can never be happy with anyone (or anything?) and c) they're not looking for a relationship (and how many are honest about that?)

This thread isn’t all about you love

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Ah here, get off your bitter high horse will you

Ok I apologise for having preferences. I think you’re missing the point of this thread. Nevertheless I shall go home and contemplate everything about myself. THREE YEARS without finding someone. I’m a failure!
    If you're using online dating for that amount of time, and screening that heavily, and STILL can't find anyone who meets your expectations, then the problem is you, tbh. And I say that as someone who has been accused of being too picky. The kid in a sweet shop mentality is a big issue for lots of people these days. They can't just meet someone they like and see how it goes because they're constantly looking for someone better and online dating gives the illusion that there are a thousands of better people just waiting to date you.

If you're using online dating for that amount of time, and screening that heavily, and STILL can't find anyone who meets your expectations, then the problem is you, tbh. And I say that as someone who has been accused of being too picky. The kid in a sweet shop mentality is a big issue for lots of people these days. They can't just meet someone they like and see how it goes because they're constantly looking for someone better and online dating gives the illusion that there are a thousands of better people just waiting to date you.

Yeah you’re the sort of judgemental weirdo I try to avoid. Anyway I met lots of nice people, had some short relationships, had some one night stands and now I’ve met someone and we’re both crazy about each other. What have I done wrong?

This thread isn’t all about you love
    I didn't say it was. It's a thread about dating no-nos and I stated that that was one of mine (and a LOT of women's, actually). Is that OK with you? Am I allowed to comment? Or is having an opinion another thing in your list of what makes women 'arrogant' in your eyes?

Yeah you’re the sort of judgemental weirdo I try to avoid. Anyway I met lots of nice people, had some short relationships, had some one night stands and now I’ve met someone and we’re both crazy about each other. What have I done wrong?
    I never said you did anything wrong. I said that type of checklist mentality was indicative of the sort of person I'd avoid, and something I find incredibly toxic about online dating. If it's worked out for you, grand. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

I never said you did anything wrong. I said that type of checklist mentality was indicative of the sort of person I'd avoid, and something I find incredibly toxic about online dating. If it's worked out for you, grand. I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Are you not clever enough to realise that everyone’s preferences aren’t posted on their dating profiles?

Are you not clever enough to realise that everyone’s preferences aren’t posted on their dating profiles?
    Oh, I'm very clever, thank you. Definitely more than enough to realise that your sort of mentality and attitude is apparent from about a hundred miles away. You can pick up an awful lot from even the most casual chat over text.

• Advertisement

Oh, I'm very clever, thank you. Definitely more than enough to realise that your sort of mentality and attitude is apparent from about a hundred miles away. You can pick up an awful lot from even the most casual chat over text.

Ok. Best of luck with everything!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭taserfrank

My mom always told me not to get my penis out until after dessert.

It is for me, because I have no interest in one night stands or pointless relationships that are never going to go anywhere.

As I said, many people are online looking for shorter relationships, rather than something serious. I didn't state what your preference was.
    There are several reasons someone is on online dating for years on end and none of them are good: a) they keep getting dumped/can't maintain a relationship, b) they have such ridiculous expectations that they can never be happy with anyone (or anything?) and c) they're not looking for a relationship (and how many are honest about that?)

Wow... rather judgmental, aren't you? You really lumped all responsibility for anything negative on him. Dating usually consists of two (or more) people.

And as for C, many people are. I am, and I've never had any shortage of women interested in having shorter relationships with a clear understanding that marriage is definitely not going to happen. The key is to be honest from the beginning, and most of them are happy to turn into friends later, rather than disappearing from your life.

I'm sure from your posts that you wouldn't be interested in that, which is fine. Your choice. However, many other women are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Has to be a pic of at least head to hips..
    So many women put pics up of just their face..... And there's too many 'pretty' women out there with emmmm well!? lets just say bigger bodies that their 'pretty' face would suggest!?!?

Close up, high angle facing downward, cuts off juuuuust low enough to let you know there's ample cleavage but not what lies beneath it... to be honest it's often the lack of confidence in their body type that is as much a turn off.

It is for me, because I have no interest in one night stands or pointless relationships that are never going to go anywhere.

As I said, many people are online looking for shorter relationships, rather than something serious. I didn't state what your preference was.
    There are several reasons someone is on online dating for years on end and none of them are good: a) they keep getting dumped/can't maintain a relationship, b) they have such ridiculous expectations that they can never be happy with anyone (or anything?) and c) they're not looking for a relationship (and how many are honest about that?)

Wow... rather judgmental, aren't you? You really lumped all responsibility for anything negative on him. Dating usually consists of two (or more) people.

And as for C, many people are. I am, and I've never had any shortage of women interested in having shorter relationships with a clear understanding that marriage is definitely not going to happen. The key is to be honest from the beginning, and most of them are happy to turn into friends later, rather than disappearing from your life.

I'm sure from your posts that you wouldn't be interested in that, which is fine. Your choice. However, many other women are.
    The thread is about 'dating no-nos'. Is it not obvious that each person is talking about their own preferences? I said people who are online on the sites for years are a red flag for ME. I love how it's fine for someone to be judgemental regarding the type of women they will or won't date, down to their choice of activity in the photos, but God forbid I should judge someone who has been online dating for years and never managed to find anything substantial?
    As for your question, yes, dating consists of two people, but if someone is unable to maintain a relationship with anyone? Red flag. I have a male friend like this, who has been online dating for years. I used to wonder why he had so many short term relationships and now I know him better, I see why. He has some very serious character flaws like selfishness (tried to get his new girlfriend of 2 months to move her birthday party from a club to a pub because he doesn't like clubs), as well as that 'kid in a sweet shop' mentality. The first argument, first disagreement and he's back on Tinder looking for the next one. He'll never be happy and he'll never find what he wants, because HE is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

taserfrank wrote: »
    My mom always told me not to get my penis out until after dessert.

More gold from taserface!

• Advertisement

The thread is about 'dating no-nos'. Is it not obvious that each person is talking about their own preferences? I said people who are online on the sites for years are a red flag for ME.

Except that you quoted him, and weren't referring to your no-nos of dating... You passed judgment on his situation for being on a dating site for three years, and pointed to it being a red flag. That wasn't about stating your own preferences. It was about putting him down.
    I love how it's fine for someone to be judgemental regarding the type of women they will or won't date, down to their choice of activity in the photos, but God forbid I should judge someone who has been online dating for years and never managed to find anything substantial?

You pushed your perception of value regarding dating/relationships on to him. You could have done it far better without the negative comments.
    As for your question, yes, dating consists of two people, but if someone is unable to maintain a relationship with anyone? Red flag.

Only if they're actually seeking a long-term relationship or even if they actually find someone wanting a long term relationship. You seem to have this belief that all women are seeking "meaningful" relationships, but the fact is that many women are not looking for something serious, or they claim they are, but bail on the relationship as it becomes more serious.

You didn't ask the circumstances of his experiences during those three years, or what happened. Instead you simply passed judgment on him.
    He'll never be happy and he'll never find what he wants, because HE is the problem.

And I could list the failings of a variety of female friends of mine who are single in their 40s, who had chances with perfectly lovely guys, but their own requirements prevented them from settling down. Yes, it was their failing because they wanted marriage/kids but wouldn't accept any of the men they ever met.

However, we don't know that the poster above was seeking a long-term relationship or marriage during those three years. He could as easily have been seeking more experience in dating before committing himself, or he could have been unlucky in the kind of women he met. Anything is possible.

Not an indication of a "red flag".

Sat here laughing imagining if Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich and Irishrebe met in real life and realized the others online profile on a first date.
    Or even better, a few weeks in to a relationship...

Sat here laughing imagining if Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich and Irishrebe met in real life and realized the others online profile on a first date.
    Or even better, a few weeks in to a relationship...
    That could never happen, since one of my pics is of me playing the instrument I've loved since I was 4 years old. So arrogant and wanky of me to show off my hobbies and passions like that! Of course nobody would never swipe right! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭madmac187

I’ve never seen first dates!

You might be taking the piss but there was a girl on dates that is on POF in riding gear on horseback lol did go on a date with her lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That could never happen, since one of my pics is of me playing the instrument I've loved since I was 4 years old. So arrogant and wanky of me to show off my hobbies and passions like that! Of course nobody would never swipe right! :p

What do you play? Is it the cello? I'd swipe on a cello. Maybe a drum kit.

• Advertisement

QUESTION FOR THE LADIES HERE

HOW COME A LOT OF WOMEN PUT UP PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES IN A BEDROOM OR SITTING ON A BED?

SORRY FOR SHOUTING

ALSO, DO GUYS HAVE PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES IN A BEDROOM OR SITTING ON A BED?

PLEASE DONT REFER TO GUYS WITH PHOTOS OF CARS OR HOLDING UP A FISH

JUST AN ANSWER TO THE BED THING

Thanks

Nope. For me, It would send the wrong kind of message... and TBH I haven't seen many women posing on their bed. Plenty of "sexy" poses or outfits but not on the bed. I suspect women can get away with being more aggressive in suggesting something sexual than men.

And don't do the CAPS thing. It's annoying and I will ignore you, if you do it again.

QUESTION FOR THE LADIES HERE

HOW COME A LOT OF WOMEN PUT UP PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES IN A BEDROOM OR SITTING ON A BED?

SORRY FOR SHOUTING

ALSO, DO GUYS HAVE PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES IN A BEDROOM OR SITTING ON A BED?

PLEASE DONT REFER TO GUYS WITH PHOTOS OF CARS OR HOLDING UP A FISH

JUST AN ANSWER TO THE BED THING

Thanks

YES THEY DO!!
    On the bed(lying or sitting), in the bed (often topless), standing by the bed in a suit, in a hotel room like it's that first day on holidays and someone was like"let me get a pic of you stand by the bed" it's bizarre!

It seems overtly sexual and a big no no in my book

YES THEY DO!!
    On the bed(lying or sitting), in the bed (often topless), standing by the bed in a suit, in a hotel room like it's that first day on holidays and someone was like"let me get a pic of you stand by the bed" it's bizarre!

It seems overtly sexual and a big no no in my book

My female friends tell me it means "look at me I go away for weekends, hopefully you'll be the one who brings me away the next time"
    Because I'm worth it....

Or " look how seductive I look by the bed "
    You'll be the lucky one if you get to see this.

Give me a lady with some ink, ripped Jeans, boots and a natural landscape any day...

Rather than the opposite......

Give me a lady with some ink, ripped Jeans, boots and a natural landscape any day...

What's she doing with the ink? Is she some kind of squid-woman?

My female friends tell me it means "look at me I go away for weekends, hopefully you'll be the one who brings me away the next time"
    Because I'm worth it....

Or " look how seductive I look by the bed "
    You'll be the lucky one if you get to see this.

I'm female, I know why some women do it (I wouldn't I'm not really into super posed photos). I don't get why blokes do it, as Klaz said I don't think the implicit message of bed photos lands for men the same way as it does for women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Anything with a pulse and a fanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

Anything with a pulse and a fanny.
    Doesn't have to be human for you so? You've expanded your net 1000X

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Yeah I used to feel paranoid about using online dating for so long. Then I realised "fuk it" if I'm still on here. Nothing wrong with being picky and having standards. I tried being less picky and it didn't work out. Several times. So if there are some dopes who see my head on there for a while (even though they are too...) then I'm not going to get put off by their comments.

I'd be interested in replying to about 2-3% of people on those sites, to be honest. And even then you still have to filter out those duds. That sh1t takes time. No point in wasting make up otherwise.

What's she doing with the ink? Is she some kind of squid-woman?

Lol I like the response...

I'm intrigued by Tina Robinson look alikes especially covered in ink...

But she wouldn't like the kitch en sync

• Advertisement
Advertisement