Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are your no-no's with dating?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Lol I like the response...

I'm intrigued by Tina Robinson look alikes especially covered in ink...

But she wouldn't like the kitch en sync

il_570xN.788033625_bb16.jpg?version=1

Swipe left.....

fatknacker wrote: »
    Yeah I used to feel paranoid about using online dating for so long. Then I realised "fuk it" if I'm still on here. Nothing wrong with being picky and having standards. I tried being less picky and it didn't work out. Several times. So if there are some dopes who see my head on there for a while (even though they are too...) then I'm not going to get put off by their comments.

Most of my friends consider me to have high standards, or rather 'unrealistic' standards. I've always believed it's best to be with someone you're crazy about than simply treading water. I don't mean just standards about their physical appearance but also the personalities I know that suit me best.

The funny thing is that most of those people who said I have such high standards, went into serious relationships, got married and had kids... and they're all, for the most part, divorced/separated or incredibly unhappy in their situations.

There is such pressure on us to conform to a certain type of lifestyle. i.e. that remaining single is somehow a terrible state and we should all be rushing madly into relationships or marriage. However, I've noticed that such relationships often don't suit the person, and they'd probably be much happier single.

So, I say, go with what feels right for you, and throw in some practical considerations too. Take your time in finding someone, and if you don't, well... just enjoy your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭Mackerel and Avocado Sandwich

The funny thing is that most of those people who said I have such high standards, went into serious relationships, got married and had kids... and they're all, for the most part, divorced/separated or incredibly unhappy in their situations.

Ditto for me. You saw it on this thread where someone is trying to tell me how awful I am because I have been single for 3 years. I mean wtf is wrong with me right?!?!

Ditto for me. You saw it on this thread where someone is trying to tell me how awful I am because I have been single for 3 years. I mean wtf is wrong with me right?!?!

Dude, I've been there. I still am. I'm 41 years old and a bachelor. I have zero interest in marriage or kids. Oh, I haven't removed it as an option but it's never been a particular interest. Different strokes for different folks.

My family which are rather traditional have only recently stopped pestering me about marriage and kids. When I lived in China, every time I returned home for a holiday, my mother would have set up a dozen blind dates with women I had absolutely no interest in. She didn't (and still doesn't) understand that I don't find the vast majority of Irish women attractive (the cultural attitudes and body types). And I've received a lot of criticism from Irish people when they quiz my preferences... But then I've found that women are allowed to be picky but men shouldn't be. We're supposed to love all those curves... Ugh.

Edit: I've also been called a race-traitor because I was engaged to a Japanese woman, and generally prefer Asian women to Western women. Oddly enough (not really), men tend to understand this difference in preference, but many women find it somehow offensive. And yet, these same women had experiences with black men and considered it perfectly acceptable. The double standards people have about dating/relationships is just bizarre sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

If they have a cock, or once had a cock.

Yet you'll hope they have one soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Edit: I've also been called a race-traitor because I was engaged to a Japanese woman, and generally prefer Asian women to Western women. Oddly enough (not really), men tend to understand this difference in preference, but many women find it somehow offensive. And yet, these same women had experiences with black men and considered it perfectly acceptable. The double standards people have about dating/relationships is just bizarre sometimes.

I find that kinda surprising. I would have expected you to be called a misogynist for preferring Asian women.

psinno wrote: »
    I find that kinda surprising. I would have expected you to be called a misogynist for preferring Asian women.

I find that the only people who know/use the word misogynist tend to be on boards or social media. :D

Anyway, how would I be a misogynist by preferring, say, Japanese women to Irish women? It doesn't mean that I hate or despise Irish women... Just that I don't find most of them attractive. It's like saying that if you don't like women with red hair, then you're a misogynist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I find that the only people who know/use the word misogynist tend to be on boards or social media. :D

Anyway, how would I be a misogynist by preferring, say, Japanese women to Irish women? It doesn't mean that I hate or despise Irish women... Just that I don't find most of them attractive. It's like saying that if you don't like women with red hair, then you're a misogynist...

I didn't say I thought you were a misogynist just that I thought it was more likely you would be called a misogynist than a race traitor. Asian women generally are pretty attractive to me. Women from some asian countries anyway.

psinno wrote: »
    I didn't say I thought you were a misogynist just that I thought it was more likely you would be called a misogynist than a race traitor. Asian women generally are pretty attractive to me. Women from some asian countries anyway.

Oh, I didn't think you were calling me a Misogynist. Just wondering at the logic. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    In addition to the stuff mentioned already
    Machu Picchu photos were a no no for me when I was on Tinder. Every girl had them and boasted about their love of travel. As if treading the same steps as countless millions of others made them special. I doubt 1 in 10 could tell you the first thing about the Incas.

Especially when they're so far away in the photo that you can barely see them. I might as well be looking at TripAdvisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

Especially when they're so far away in the photo that you can barely see them. I might as well be looking at TripAdvisor.

I get matches from New York sometimes...living not far from Shannon Airport all the airline staff are gamey.....

The love a coffee in the foyer and a romp in the ensuite...

They say they don't usually do nsa

Like reallllyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

'Shopping' as a hobby.

Duckface profile pics.

Dog ears/nose profile pics...not sure if I should take you out for a nice meal or take you to the park for a sh1t.

'High maintenance' ....would you buy a car that was 'high maintenance '?

Smoking.

Profile pics surrounded with hapes of drink or in a toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

'Shopping' as a hobby.

Duckface profile pics.

Dog ears/nose profile pics...not sure if I should take you out for a nice meal or take you to the park for a sh1t.

'High maintenance' ....would you buy a car that was 'high maintenance '?

Smoking.

Lol love it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,074 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bit ironic complaining about too much drink with that username.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭Jimmy Dags

Someone who is obsessed with Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

"Non smoker, non drinker" yet their photo shows them with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.

Jimmy Dags wrote: »
    Someone who is obsessed with Christmas.

Most of the zombies unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Men in a football jersey
    Unless they're actually playing, in which case it's a plus

Pics of a group of mates. They're always the least attractive.

And where are they all meeting conor mcGregor? Another left swipe

"Non smoker, non drinker" yet their photo shows them with a pint in one hand and a fag in the other.

#sarcasm

tupenny wrote: »
    Men in a football jersey
    Unless they're actually playing, in which case it's a plus

Pics of a group of mates. They're always the least attractive.

And where are they all meeting conor mcGregor? Another left swipe

oic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

I come across so many profiles every day of women that have a single non-descript picture of a patch of grass or the sky or just some random image they took off Google. First thing that comes to mind is that they're a paranoid basket case looking to find out if their ex or current boyfriend is using Tinder. Second thing is that it's a nosey cow that likely tells everyone she'd never use dating apps but as soon as she's alone she's on it straight away looking at everyone. It's so prevalent now, not a day goes by where I don't come across at least a few of these nutjobs hiding behind an anonymous profile. Do guys do this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭irishrebe

Except nobody said that. It's one thing to be single for 3 years, it's another to be actively on a dating app for 3 years looking for a relationship and not find anyone who meets your standards in all that time. But don't let facts get in the way or anything.

Dude, I've been there. I still am. I'm 41 years old and a bachelor. I have zero interest in marriage or kids. Oh, I haven't removed it as an option but it's never been a particular interest. Different strokes for different folks.

My family which are rather traditional have only recently stopped pestering me about marriage and kids. When I lived in China, every time I returned home for a holiday, my mother would have set up a dozen blind dates with women I had absolutely no interest in. She didn't (and still doesn't) understand that I don't find the vast majority of Irish women attractive (the cultural attitudes and body types). And I've received a lot of criticism from Irish people when they quiz my preferences... But then I've found that women are allowed to be picky but men shouldn't be. We're supposed to love all those curves... Ugh.

Only a total racist nutjob would use a term like 'race traitor'. There are plenty of stereotypes and cliches about men who prefer to date Asian women though, and from my time in Asia, I'd say quite a few of them are true in many cases.

irishrebe wrote: »
    Only a total racist nutjob would use a term like 'race traitor'. There are plenty of stereotypes and cliches about men who prefer to date Asian women though, and from my time in Asia, I'd say quite a few of them are true in many cases.

You really can't comment about anything without having some kind of dig, can you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bit ironic complaining about too much drink with that username.

It's a username, not a lifestyle.

Except nobody said that. It's one thing to be single for 3 years, it's another to be actively on a dating app for 3 years looking for a relationship and not find anyone who meets your standards in all that time. But don't let facts get in the way or anything.

Did I say what I was looking for? Jesus you sound so bitter. Not having much luck yourself? I do recall you posting something in relationship issues now that I think of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    I come across so many profiles every day of women that have a single non-descript picture of a patch of grass or the sky or just some random image they took off Google. First thing that comes to mind is that they're a paranoid basket case looking to find out if their ex or current boyfriend is using Tinder. Second thing is that it's a nosey cow that likely tells everyone she'd never use dating apps but as soon as she's alone she's on it straight away looking at everyone. It's so prevalent now, not a day goes by where I don't come across at least a few of these nutjobs hiding behind an anonymous profile. Do guys do this too?

Yuuuuup, the grass the sky, a meme, a cartoon character, I always think they're the guys who are like "women are so superficial, if they don't like my profile without a photo then who wants to date someone that stuck up" meanwhile they get to judge everyone without being judged or fear of rejection. IMO if you have a non photo as a photo your bio would want to be f-ing tremendous to expect to get any level of response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Yuuuuup, the grass the sky, a meme, a cartoon character, I always think they're the guys who are like "women are so superficial, if they don't like my profile without a photo then who wants to date someone that stuck up" meanwhile they get to judge everyone without being judged or fear of rejection. IMO if you have a non photo as a photo your bio would want to be f-ing tremendous to expect to get any level of response.

I sometimes think it's someone who wants to see what's on the site/app but doesn't want to participate. Maybe they're already in a relationship. They don't want a match, they just like the idea of swiping.
    Or maybe they're checking it out before they dive in. See if the people on the app are the kind of people they'd want to date.

Eitherway I'm swiping left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

No it isn't. I didn't want to go out with someone I found acceptable as apposed to great. It took a while but so what?

Why should she settle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Katgurl wrote: »
    No it isn't. I didn't want to go out with someone I found acceptable as apposed to great. It took a while but so what?

Why should she settle?
    That poster is really starting to sound a lot like someone with a lot of pent up frustration.. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

givyjoe wrote: »
    That poster is really starting to sound a lot like someone with a lot of pent up frustration.. :pac::pac:

I'm a bit confused. Me? This is my first post on this thread.

Anyway to get back to the OP, I would absolutely not have anything to do with guys who put up topless photos. Even if they were in great shape, it just came across so vain and needy.

When it comes to actually being on the date, any man who could not be discreet about checking out other women was an absolute no-no. Obviously an attractive person draws your eye but there is no excuse for leering.

Anyway to get back to the OP, I would absolutely not have anything to do with guys who put up topless photos. Even if they were in great shape, it just came across so vain and needy.

Agreed, it's only ok to be topless on the beach!

You really can't comment about anything without having some kind of dig, can you?
    Am I not allowed an opinion? You don't think a lot of the women who commented on that to you were thinking the same?

Did I say what I was looking for? Jesus you sound so bitter. Not having much luck yourself? I do recall you posting something in relationship issues now that I think of it...
    I'm dating someone, so have not used any app in quite some time now. It probably won't last because I'm emigrating, but I'm not one of those people who sits on Tinder for hours every day, swiping away and looking for something 'better'. I prefer to actually get to know people and build up a relationship. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I'm a bit confused. Me? This is my first post on this thread.

When it comes to actually being on the date, any man who could not be discreet about checking out other women was an absolute no-no. Obviously an attractive person draws your eye but there is no excuse for leering.

I didn't mean you, sorry I didn't make that clear!:o

I'm dating someone, so have not used any app in quite some time now. It probably won't last because I'm emigrating, but I'm not one of those people who sits on Tinder for hours every day, swiping away and looking for something 'better'. I prefer to actually get to know people and build up a relationship. Each to their own.

And that's what I do is it? You like jumping to conclusions don't you? You know nothing about me you mad yoke.

And that's what I do is it? You like jumping to conclusions don't you? You know nothing about me you mad yoke.
    I didn't even mention you. Who is jumping to conclusions now?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jesus Christ, nobody cares! Live and let bloody live.
    'Each to their own' she says, while casting judgement on everyone who doesn't think like her...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Vela

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Height or weight requirements. I'm not short and I'm in decent shape, but I don't want to date someone who is that shallow.

I don't think it's shallow to specify what you're attracted to. For example, weight isn't a definite deal breaker for me, although I tend to go for well-built guys. But height is a deal breaker for sure. I'm 5'10 and I date guys around my height or taller, but I don't want to date someone who's 2+ inches shorter. That's not being shallow, it's simply what I do and do not find attractive. In the same way that I have a few tattoos and there are men who might not find that attractive.

I don't see the problem with writing that on my profile (even if most guys ignore it) because it stops me wasting their time and vice versa.

Vela wrote: »
    I don't think it's shallow to specify what you're attracted to. For example, weight isn't a definite deal breaker for me, although I tend to go for well-built guys. But height is a deal breaker for sure. I'm 5'10 and I date guys around my height or taller, but I don't want to date someone who's 2+ inches shorter. That's not being shallow, it's simply what I do and do not find attractive. In the same way that I have a few tattoos and there are men who might not find that attractive.

I don't see the problem with writing that on my profile (even if most guys ignore it) because it stops me wasting their time and vice versa.

Well I'm taller than you, but I wouldn't message you if you specify height. I just don't think there's any need to put it down, it puts me off anyway.

Jesus Christ, nobody cares! Live and let bloody live.
    'Each to their own' she says, while casting judgement on everyone who doesn't think like her...
    Yes, God forbid there would be discussion and debate on an INTERNET FORUM on a thread specifically dedicated to things that are red flags to you when dating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

because I'm emigrating.

Do they have internet there? Just wonderin'

Well I'm taller than you, but I wouldn't message you if you specify height. I just don't think there's any need to put it down, it puts me off anyway.

If someone doesn't specify it on their profile but filters guys based on height is that different? not having a go, just wondering

cantdecide wrote: »

hopefully not...

• Advertisement

If someone doesn't specify it on their profile but filters guys based on height is that different? not having a go, just wondering

Well of course it's different, you don't see that they're filtering by height.
    I mean we all have our ideals but if I ever see profiles with no this, no that, I instantly skip, there's no need for it and it doesn't come across as friendly.

Vela wrote: »

See, this is what I don't get. You have a massive laundry list of things you won't accept in a woman, some of them very trivial and petty, yet you find it too demanding/shallow when a woman has a height preference? Why are your preferences valid and acceptable while hers indicate a shallow mind? I genuinely don't understand this. Is it because it's a physical attribute?

See, this is what I don't get. You have a massive laundry list of things you won't accept in a woman, some of them very trivial and petty, yet you find it too demanding/shallow when a woman has a height preference? Why are your preferences valid and acceptable while hers indicate a shallow mind? I genuinely don't understand this. Is it because it's a physical attribute?

But I don't list all of my requirements on my profile!!! This is a discussion about dating no nos! I'm not going around saying all these things to people, these are private preferences. I am posting anonymously on the internet. You dig?

cantdecide wrote: »
    because I'm emigrating.

Yes. Already on quite a few forums there. It's a place where they actually understand debate and discussion. Try it sometime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I prefer pale, ginger/blonde guys. Just my type!

I was once told that makes me racist.

I asked if a black woman who refused to date a white person would be similarly racist.

"No, why would she ?".

Short answer - like what you like, date who you want, be happy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement