Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Small Boat Storage

• 28-04-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I know this has been asked many times in the past but things keep changing - does anybody have a reasonable idea about storing a boat on trailer on or near the Shannon - preferably Lough Ree but id be flexible seeing as I'm driving from Dublin. I don't mind the tow up the M4 but I am under increasing pressure to find somewhere to store it on land as I made a deal the time-limit of which is running out.

I have enquired so far with various marinas located in the Inner Lakes areas outside Athlone but they either weren't too pushed as there were literally bigger fish to fry or there was no space. This time in the season might be better to ask as boats are being launched for the summer and space may be available.

Its 16ft boat on a trailer so not much bigger space-wise than a car.

The Dublin area storage yards seem happy to charge crazy rates that would have me parting with almost €1300 for the year.

It has been suggested since the boat is so small to ask a local farmer but I don't have the opportunity to do this. Perhaps for a city slicker the best alternative is to go for yard storage along the M4 (halfway) and deal with that?

If there is anybody who has had a similar sized boat and looked for storage in the midlands area or Leinster then id be glad to hear from them and how they dealt with the situation!

Regards
    P

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Did you try Lakeside Marina I know they have a few speedboats around the place, Baysport over at Hodson bay might also be worth a try, other than that it might be worth driving around and calling into a few farms and houses in the area there are a few with boats in them along the road on the drive down to lakeside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 padmack

Thanks fergal.b

I think I tried the Lakeside Marina last year but probably at the wrong part of the season. They were not really able to accommodate me or they might have said they only deal with larger vessels - i cant remember which. ill try them again and see what they say. That area is ideal for me as i know it well and its only 1 hour down the M4. Hodson in theory is great too but I seem to remember apart from the harbour itself there are plenty of lakeboats dragged up on shore for storage but I wouldn't fancy leaving my trailered boat (albeit clamped) sitting around the carpark there awaiting the attentions of some morons lounging around the hotel or environs. If I was REALLY stuck id give it a thought. For peace of mind, I am always urged to try leave it somewhere secure. There is a farmer down on the approach to Barley Harbour way that seems to look after the harbour I might see what he thinks about my proposal...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Hi there

I've sent you a private message I might be able to help you out.
    padmack wrote: »
    Thanks fergal.b

I think I tried the Lakeside Marina last year but probably at the wrong part of the season. They were not really able to accommodate me or they might have said they only deal with larger vessels - i cant remember which. ill try them again and see what they say. That area is ideal for me as i know it well and its only 1 hour down the M4. Hodson in theory is great too but I seem to remember apart from the harbour itself there are plenty of lakeboats dragged up on shore for storage but I wouldn't fancy leaving my trailered boat (albeit clamped) sitting around the carpark there awaiting the attentions of some morons lounging around the hotel or environs. If I was REALLY stuck id give it a thought. For peace of mind, I am always urged to try leave it somewhere secure. There is a farmer down on the approach to Barley Harbour way that seems to look after the harbour I might see what he thinks about my proposal...

Advertisement