Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenancy rights as an adult child?

Options
  • 28-04-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Can a mother throw her adult son out of a council house just cause she feels like it?

Comments

niki92 wrote: »
    Can a mother throw her adult son out of a council house just cause she feels like it?

It should be mandatory imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

why wouldn't she be able to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

Is his name on the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You're 26 OP per your username, time to stand on your own 2 feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You're 26 OP per your username, time to stand on your own 2 feet.

Hi Niki's Mom...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 niki92

wench wrote: »
    Is his name on the lease?

Yes

frag420 wrote: »
    Hi Niki's Mom...:D

Fyi its nothing to do with my mam, its for a friend who has to stay with me now cause his mam put him out because he wont come home before 9pm to suit her, after living with her nursing her back to health after an accident and now shes come into a money she wants him out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Im pretty sure the 1916 proclamation had a provision directly inhibiting this, any legal experts that can confirm?

In the mean time, tell him to change the Wifi password..gives you leverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes

If his name is on the lease, not just on the annual income return, then No.

But it would be very unusual for his name to be on the lease.

Im pretty sure the 1916 proclamation had a provision directly inhibiting this, any legal experts that can confirm?

In the mean time, tell him to change the Wifi password..gives you leverage.

She has changed the locks leaving him locked out with no belongings, no notice even

• Advertisement

If his name is on the lease, not just on the annual income return, then No.

But it would be very unusual for his name to be on the lease.

As far as I know its joint tenancy house is in both their names

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭piplip87

Fyi its nothing to do with my mam, its for a friend who has to stay with me now cause his mam put him out because he wont come home before 9pm to suit her, after living with her nursing her back to health after an accident and now shes come into a money she wants him out

Her house = Her Rules regardless of age. If he was that unhappy why not just move out ?. Jaysus I know there are some who cannot leave home due to financial circumstances but a fit healthy person over 21 should really be out on their own.

She has changed the locks leaving him locked out with no belongings, no notice even

Oh right, that's pretty ****ty in that case, has he tried meeting up with her to find a compromise?

piplip87 wrote: »
    Her house = Her Rules regardless of age. If he was that unhappy why not just move out ?. Jaysus I know there are some who cannot leave home due to financial circumstances but a fit healthy person over 21 should really be out on their own.

And leaving in a treehouse in Clondalkin no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

niki92 wrote:

Probably more to the story than that. But I don't his name is on the lease, why would it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

If his name is on the lease, then no she can't. I'd be getting onto the council in that case.

It would be quite strange that his name would be on the lease though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

hdowney wrote: »
    If his name is on the lease, then no she can't. I'd be getting onto the council in that case.

Yes she can ,she likey she's the actual tenant and he's only on the rent , which means she can throw him out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes she can ,she likey she's the actual tenant and he's only on the rent , which means she can throw him out

I specifically said if his name was on the LEASE she can't. Obviously if his name isn't on the lease there's nothing he can do about it.

Advertisement