Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to HTPC conversion

Options
  • 28-04-2018 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I have an old ASUS G73JH sitting idle and I've been kicking around the idea of turning it into an HTPC. Obviously the simplest laptop to HTPC thing is plug in HDMI and forget about it :) I'm keen to try something a little more elaborate - new case and that sort of thing. The main obstacle is that although the CPU (i7 720) and 8 GB RAM are okay the GPU can't output 4k which seems a bit redundant in 2018. It does use an MXM 3.0b GPU (Radeon Mobile 5870) which can apparently be swapped without too much bother. It seems the main compatibility issue would be heatsink in the original case which wouldn't matter if that's being changed. Anybody had experience swapping a notebook GPU? Is it a nightmare?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It would actually be easier and cheaper just to pick up a 2nd hand HTPC to be honest that'll do 4K. €150 should get you an OK one.

A new MXM card would be probably actually expensive enough and you'd still be left with a big lump of a laptop to boot which is hardly ideal for a HTPC (in terms of a new case, would you really be designing and building a custom case from scratch for it too?)

Advertisement