Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi, Odroid or cheapo laptop for video calling?

Options
  • 29-04-2018 1:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,942 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to set up video calling for a relative so that she can see her grandchildren more often.
    I've already set up a laptop for another relative and launch viber using Teamviewer. That relative has wifi, a space for the laptop and it's permanently open and ready to go.

This time around it's a little more complex because there isn't really space for a laptop permanently opened and she will be using a neighbours wifi.

Options appear to be Raspberry Pi or Odroid beside the TV or a cheap laptop in the press under the TV.

Using the neighbours wifi means that she will probably need an external wifi adaptor eg, Alfa probably on the end of a long USB.

I'd use her TV (HDMI) as the display device.

Teamviewer is easy to install on Windows, supposed to be easy on Pi and fussy to install on Odroid.

Viber desktop is again easy on a PC, not supported on Pi but might be possible on Odroid via the Chrome browser?
    Alternatives for Pi are JITSI but that would require also installing JITSI everywhere on the other end of the connection whereas Viber is already in widespread use.

I like the SFF of the Pi and the Odroid, the PC underneath will be messier and will require the lid open and overheating may become an issue in the enclosed space.

My concerns about the Pi and Odroid are that they'll struggle to run the external devices and the video conferencing app.

Overall I suspect a Pi/Odroid system to cost around €200, whereas the laptop will cost around €350.

Has anyone ever used a Pi/droid for this kind of app before and how did it work out?

Tx.

Advertisement