Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad fuel at petrol station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Duckegg2018

My petrol cap locks when I lock the car, which I do every time I'm not driving it. There was no sign of damage to my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As a consumer, you can usually see what you're buying. But there seems to be no justice for anyone who buys dodgy petrol.
    Mention it to the Revenue Commissioners and The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It is almost black in colour, with black sludge at the bottom. Also, it reminds me of the smell of nail varnish remover.

That’s probably oil from the injector run off
    What’s wrong with the car ?

It started chugging 3 days after I bought petrol. Then 2 orange warning lights-the traction control and the check engine light-started flashing, and a message flashed on the dash screen, Esc Service, I think. So I took it back to my main dealer.

I presume oil shouldn't get into petrol?

It started chugging 3 days after I bought petrol. Then 2 orange warning lights-the traction control and the check engine light-started flashing, and a message flashed on the dash screen, Esc Service, I think. So I took it back to my main dealer.

I presume oil shouldn't get into petrol?

nope but it can
    did you bring the car to the people that sold it to you?

i just think that if the petrol was that bad then a lot of people would have been affected

• Advertisement

How does oil get into the petrol tank? I presume that would be something covered by warranty?
    This sounds like I might need an independent assessor to examine the car parts and the fuel.

How does oil get into the petrol tank? I presume that would be something covered by warranty?
    This sounds like I might need an independent assessor to examine the car parts and the fuel.

yeah thats my thoughts
    if an injector cracks then oil can get into the return line which brings fuel from the injector back to the tank

im not saying thats what happened but if a main fuel supplier is selling dirty petrol id be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There's a poster here, Bandara I think, who knows a lot about petrol stations.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=87218&sort=newest

Sounds like you filled up as they were, or had just finished, filling the tanks.

Tigger wrote:
    When you say visibly contaminated how do you mean ?

The petrol was almost black, with lots of sediment.

The petrol was almost black, with lots of sediment.

Yeah get an independent report done
    Can’t hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If it's the well know brand I think it is... I'm not surprised.

I suspect that they have supply issues, as it wouldn't be the first instance.

I won't buy fuel from them, not even for the lawnmower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

mikeecho wrote: »

A fruity colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Had a problem in 2014 with a local garage and 2 new vans.
    Water in his diesel. Renault has to replace 2 engines for us and Texaco paid for them.
    They found water leaking into his diesel tank.

Get a mechanic to diagnose the issue.
    Contact the head office of the brand involved, topaz, applegreen etc
    Date you purchased fuel, card statement or receipt.

After that they should test tanks at the site and let you know.

A fruity colour?

I'd be apprehensive to say that they were green

I try and buy fuel from one particular station only, but currently I'm buying from a topaz that had a complete overhaul.. new pumps, new tanks etc.
    I buy the plus fuel at a 7¢ premium,
    Whether the extra 7¢ is worth it or not.. it's peace of mind to me.

Would anyone know how long it actually takes to test fuel, tanks, pumps etc and report on it? This station claims to have done all that between a Thursday evening and the following Thursday evening, when they rang me with an apparent clean bill of health. Is that likely? The trainee assistant manager told me some samples were only sent off on the Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Maybe this lad was right all along,https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057321181/1/#post92910117. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

A fruity colour?

Do they make phones too?

Pity I can't find someone who purchased petrol there recently to strengthen my case.

Water in diesel is different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One thread moved from Motors as we don't allow two threads on the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged together into one single thread.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Pity I can't find someone who purchased petrol there recently to strengthen my case.

I would contact both the manufacturer of your car HQ and also SIMI. They may be aware of other instances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Here's a proper explanation.

1 - If a fuel station sold fuel that left that much sludge in your tank, then EVERY other vehicle that filled up around the same time would be affected. A busy station gets about 2 fuel deliveries a week, a quiet one, get some a week or one every two weeks. Underground tanks take up to 20,000 litres - so a fuel station tank of fuel would supply about 1,000 cars.
    So extremely improbable.

2 - if you don't drive much and continuously fill up without allowing the tank drop to near empty, sludge will build up. Just like a home oil tank (which are always slanted away from the outlet to prevent sludge getting into the oil line). Then one day, it gets into the combustion chamber and screws up the engine. But its not the last fill that is to blame - its a build up over time.

3 - Has the car being serviced and did the garage change the fuel filter?

4. - All fuel is basically the same - the brand is simply that, a brand. Fuel for Ireland is refined in Whitegate, Cork and Pembrokeshire, Wales. Its not refined specifically for any company, when they order, its simply the next batch they get and its brought to giant tanks in Dublin / Cork and simply dispensed on a next truck basis. Some brand add a additive, but frankly, these are gimmicks.

So i would doubt very much its the last fuel stop (unless you know of dozens of other cars using same station at same time) and more likely a gradual build up and aggravated by an unchanged fuel filter.

I'd be apprehensive to say that they were green

Complete and utter bullsh1t - but some blinkered people believe whatever they want to believe because they couldn't be arsed checking verifable facts.

Circle K/Topaz, TOP, Applegreen, Great Gas, Campus Oil, Maxol, Texaco - not ONE of them are in the refinery business. They are simply forecourt names. Its like saying that Kelloggs cornflakes are different depending on where you buy them.

Here's Pembrokshire refinery - https://www.valero.com/en-us/Pages/Pembroke.aspx

here's whitegate http://irvingoil.com/en/operations-and-partners/operations/whitegate-refinery

That's where almost ALL fuel sold in Ireland comes from. A small amount comes from Scotland at peak periods. But doesn't matter what name is on the sign - the base fuel is the same in every station. Some brands add additives, but these are generally regard as of minimal benefit except to the profit margins of those brands.

But some people will never believe verifiable facts and instead believe their own made up bullsh1t

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The variable factor I encounter is that some stations are maintained like crap. Filthy everything, rattling piddling pumps etc. Could end up with any sediment from tanks if the filters have crumbled way for starters.

There are also still some stations selling washed diesel; not to the extent that there was in 2011 or so when half the empty petrol stations in the country reopened and sold *just* diesel.

L1011 wrote: »
    when half the empty petrol stations in the country reopened and sold *just* diesel.

That was more to do with licencing - very strict licence and storage requirements for petrol. Virtually none for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,017 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CeilingFly wrote: »
    That was more to do with licencing - very strict licence and storage requirements for petrol. Virtually none for diesel.

The lack of an equivalent for washed petrol was probably more of a problem. Seeing as they were all shut by Revenue...

CeilingFly wrote:
    2 - if you don't drive much and continuously fill up without allowing the tank drop to near empty, sludge will build up.
    I've driven around 7000 km in 2 and a half months. Would you consider that much? My family tell me I'm always on the road.
    Are you saying that sludge builds up if you continuously fill up without letting the tank drop to nearly empty? I thought the opposite was the case.

• Advertisement

Sorry, my "copy and paste" didn't work so well there.

Advertisement