Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCCB tripping When any Electric shower turned on

Options
  • 29-04-2018 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Looking for a bit urgent advice here please.
    So this morning my RCCB tripped when i turned on kettle. There were a few other appliances on at the time, but i thought the kettle was the culprit.
    Jump a few hours forward, many runs up and down stairs to the fuse board, re-setting RCCB , pluging stuff in and out etc.
    The current situation is with all major appliances unplugged, with all the breakers off on the fuse board except the shower breakers then whenever any of the 3 electric showers (individually isolated) are turned on it trips the RCCB.
    My theory is that the RCCB itself might be faulty .
    Do these tend to go bad?
    Any other advice offered?
    Im in a bit of a panic as Im travelling first thing for a few days and am slow to leave the family with it in this state.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

First thing I think of there is a neutral earth fault, especially if trips when any reasonably sized loads are switched on, but stays on with nothing much on.

Faulty breaker is a possibility too, but neutral to earth short is more often than not, the cause of this type of problem.

Is there an immersion?

This RCCB, is everything that seems to trip it, actually powered through it also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

glog wrote: »

Do these tend to go bad?
    No. RCD failure would more likely cause it not to trip than to trip when it shouldn't. I can nearly guarantee that it isn't the RCD at fault but an Earth fault (or excessive leakage) which they are designed to protect against. Contact an Electrician to get to the bottom of it.

Advertisement