Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage Requirements

Options
  • 29-04-2018 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I currently have three firearms in the house and looking get a fourth. My issue at the moment is security for the patio door. It currently has a internal keyless lock with no way of opening it on the outside. I am wondering do I need to add anything else to the door in order to meet the guidelines required for the extra security with the fourth gun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Hack12

Depends if restricted or unrestricted firearms. Requirements are on Garda website

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The kite mark on the cylinder of the lock is the easiest way to check if your lock is compliant with bs3621.

From what I understand your lock must be a deadlock lock to comply with this standard, meaning it is locked from the inside with a key and the key can be removed.

This will mean that you will have to get a locksmith to change your current keyless lock to a lock of this standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

Sorry I should have mentioned it's a sliding patio door.

It will be an unrestricted firearm. I have looked the garda website but can't find anything about bs3621 with regards to sliding patio doors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

Going to 4 means an alarm too?

As said the lock has to be key lockable & removable too. A buddy got caught on this one a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭RossiFan08

Have an alarm already just struggling to find sliding door locks that meet bs3621 standards.

Plenty of of these kind of locks but they don't seem to be bs3621 standard

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1535/1509/products/108_grande.jpg?v=1492129642

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Okay I know I'm probably wrong on this and it is in no way meant as a bypass of any officialdom but the storage conditions where partly brought in due to the amount of people storing their firearm, typically shotguns in the open porch of the house or in out buildings often with no doors let alone with locks.
    Your patio door can be likened to a house window which AFASIK dose not require a degree of standardisation as would the locks. If you want to belt and braces it so to speak you can buy security gadgets that brace against the opposing frames to deter the forced opening of the sliding door. Sliding doors have their own security issues regardless of the type of locks even the more modern ones have their week spots, but that's off the point.

I know guys and guards will argue that where the guns are stored must be up to the guide lines ie the room in which the safe is located but this is a over interpretation of the guidance note and as I have been told by previous guards the focus is on the external entry points of the building / premises that the firearms are secured in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Any burglar wasting time breaking a patio door lock is an idiot.It's a glass door in a mini glass house! A crowbar and 5seconds will get you in, albeit rather noisy, but so what?AGS could be hours away, you are not home, and if you are, so what in their minds?Your primary defence is the front door.Make sure that isn't easily broken down or into.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement