Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear piercing

Options
  • 29-04-2018 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

My 5 year old wants her ears pierced.
    Where's best to get it done? Maybe around drogheda/balbriggan/swords?

And how much should I expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It's very young. Maybe wait a few years? I would hope most reputable businesses would refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Yeah I'm not sure about getting it done. She wants to and I don't see why not. If there are reasons to wait please let me know! I could be missing something obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Avoid the certain accessories type shops and find a reputable piercing place I'd check out tattoo places there piercing is way beyond what you get from a shop assistant with a gun and less likely to suffer any infections or reactions .

• Registered Users Posts: 16 carj

Yeah I'm not sure about getting it done. She wants to and I don't see why not. If there are reasons to wait please let me know! I could be missing something obvious.

As her ears grow, the piercing could end up migrating and not looking good at all.. It can end up too close to the edge of the earlobe and would look terrible as she got older and would also stand a chance of being ripped out sideways if caught.

I got my first at 12, and had no issues, so that's the age I'd recommend.. (I have 27 piercings in total so I'm very pro piercing :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

A lot of kids get it done around communion, so age 8. Dd got it done then and a few months later they had to come out. Her ears were a mess. Waited til she was 12 before getting them redone and went to Cl**res. They did both ears at same time, told her they'd count to 5 and pierced on count of 2. They go through the cleaning regime and you get the lotion as part of the piercing cost. She had no issue with them. I'd say the first time problem was due to wearing cheap earrings. She now wears sterling silver all the time. She's had another piercing done since and again they are fine. I couldn't clean them for her as I personally cringe at the thought in case it would hurt her (my issue). You will have to be meticulous with the cleaning, making sure to turn the earring a half turn each way without catching any hairs. If your daughter is ok with pain - cuts and grazes- then she should be fine. If she wails like a banshee with a papercut I'd wait a while :-)

I paid €40 for dd's - it depends on the earrings you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 carj

I'm from the UK originally, didn't think about the religious aspect..

I'd definitely say find a proper piercer that will do it with a needle and not a gun. They'll also give aftercare instructions. They also probably have a minimum age limit (for a very good reason!)

In general, you want to touch them as little as possible, clean the crust bits with a cotton bud and saline solution. Don't twist or play with them as that can lead to infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Rainbowdash1

Yeah she is the type to wail like a banshee. I suspect that would be the end of this. She'd get the shop and change her mind!
    However I think I'll wait a few years. Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Ghekko wrote: »
    I paid €40 for dd's

At the potential risk of looking like a complete clown, what is the meaning of dd? :confused:

I've googled but I'm assuming that you are not on about some class of Designated Driver ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

skallywag wrote:
    At the potential risk of looking like a complete clown, what is the meaning of dd?

Darling/Dear Daughter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

skallywag wrote: »
    At the potential risk of looking like a complete clown, what is the meaning of dd? :confused:

I've googled but I'm assuming that you are not on about some class of Designated Driver ...

Sorry - it's dear daughter - shorthand speak I suppose. I always thought it was universally used on chat forums along with Dh (dear husband), oh (other half) etc, until this week when it was pointed out on another thread on boards that it's a 'mumsnet' lingo. I'm not a member of mumsnet myself but do use another parenting chat forum who also use the shorthand versions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Ghekko wrote: »
    Sorry - it's dear daughter - shorthand speak I suppose. I always thought it was universally used on chat forums along with Dh (dear husband), oh (other half) etc, until this week when it was pointed out on another thread on boards that it's a 'mumsnet' lingo. I'm not a member of mumsnet myself but do use another parenting chat forum who also use the shorthand versions :)

Worth noting that it's also against the charter of this board...

Advertisement