Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watchmen- HBO-(***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭fluke

Speaking of tracks - the closer to ep 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Haunting use of music throughout the show so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭KilOit

Very underrated show, not many talk about it other than fans on the internet.
    Watching since it started and looked forward to every episode. Everything about it is fantastic. Episode 6 is the the best piece of TV I've seen since BB Ozymandias

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught episode 6 and gotta chime in, that was a fantastic piece of television. Layered, dramatic, emotional and masterfully put together. A deft hours deconstruction of the entire vigilante aesthetic and subtext of wearing masks, mixed in with the tragedy of black American history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Cartman78 wrote: »
    It's a brilliant show imho - haven't seen anything like it really since the Leftovers finished
    Took me a while to get into this- seen 3 episodes now- but really like it now. Lindelof is brave, bold and so refreshing; The Leftovers was one of my favourite shows ever- this is really warming to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

pixelburp wrote: »
    Caught episode 6 and gotta chime in, that was a fantastic piece of television. Layered, dramatic, emotional and masterfully put together. A deft hours deconstruction of the entire vigilante aesthetic and subtext of wearing masks, mixed in with the tragedy of black American history.

You need to get on 7 .. like immediately!

1.7: Wow. That episode was beautifully crafted, kept me on board and able to follow, had two big hit-home moments
    Grandma June and The End
    and just worked so well. I mean like
    I guessed it was the husband when yer wan pointed out that she hadn't asked
    but how they did still caught me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Another great episode this week, turning into an excellent show

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm enjoying it but it's also starting to feel a little bit too contrived around Angela's character. Not only is she
    Hooded Justice's granddaughter but she's also Manhattan's secret lover?
    C'mon.

But that's Lindelof for you. At least he has the balls this time around to be more blatant in his everything's connected!!" approach to storytelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

I think this is the greatest, weirdest, disconnected, connected, bizarre, exhilarating show that I have seen in years.

In terms of entertainment / anticipation I cannot wait for each episode and what wonders it might bring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I was unsure at the start of this. I really got into the middle of it, but as soon as were back on Sister Knight, I just don't care.

So her granddad is the Hodded Justice? ok. So never in one of Hodded Justice fights did his mask slip a little? It feels like a major stretch just to connect this two. Now she is the lover of Dr Manhattan?.

The whole thing with Jed wife and Silk on the chair was bizarre. I know they were trying to be self-aware about it, but it came off so cheesy the big bad guy speech about his plan that the Senator did to Silk.

Still no sign of Glass. I guess he survived the fight and put all those guys down somehow?. I hope it comes together and ends strong but since Sister Knight will probably be the foucs of it all, I doubt I care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just watched the last episode after a trip to Seattle. Trieu's building is the exact same design as Amazon HQ, the "spheres", based on curved pentagons.

800px-Amazon_Spheres_from_6th_Avenue%2C_March_2017.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭boccy23

jface187 wrote: »
    I was unsure at the start of this. I really got into the middle of it, but as soon as were back on Sister Knight, I just don't care.

So her granddad is the Hodded Justice? ok. So never in one of Hodded Justice fights did his mask slip a little? It feels like a major stretch just to connect this two. Now she is the lover of Dr Manhattan?.

The whole thing with Jed wife and Silk on the chair was bizarre. I know they were trying to be self-aware about it, but it came off so cheesy the big bad guy speech about his plan that the Senator did to Silk.

Still no sign of Glass. I guess he survived the fight and put all those guys down somehow?. I hope it comes together and ends strong but since Sister Knight will probably be the foucs of it all, I doubt I care.

Who's Silk? Do you mean Laurie Blake? I have to say the chair scene for me was just brilliant. Totally unexpected. The dodgy remote and trapdoor were brilliant. And the Laurie cuts through all the sh*t and says "I'm not interested in your plan". I love her and think she elicits a lot of what the viewer is thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's a great show. Very happy with it.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent again.

I wonder what Alan Moore would make of this. I mean I'm assuming he's refusing to even acknowledge it exists, but it is by far and away (okay it's a low bar), the best adaptation of his work. Along with 'Mr. Robot', it's the best show currently airing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not liking the trial scene for Ozymandias, its just too wacky, I would have way preferred if it was a subplot about him plotting to escape his prison on Titan or wherever he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

ixoy wrote: »
    Excellent again.

I wonder what Alan Moore would make of this. I mean I'm assuming he's refusing to even acknowledge it exists, but it is by far and away (okay it's a low bar), the best adaptation of his work. Along with 'Mr. Robot', it's the best show currently airing.

My guess even if he liked it he would never admit it publicity and would in fact say it was crap.

Thargor wrote: »
    Not liking the trial scene for Ozymandias, its just too wacky, I would have way preferred if it was a subplot about him plotting to escape his prison on Titan or wherever he is.

It's Europa orbiting Jupiter. Probably adds effect in the back of some peoples minds because 2010 said we're not supposed to land there. It does for me.

Titan orbits Saturn.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭strawdog

Starting to get some good mainstream write ups now

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/dec/07/watchmen-tv-show-masterpiece

Positive mention in the IT round up of the year's TV too
    https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/tv-radio-web/tv-in-2019-a-year-of-big-and-unhappy-endings-1.4103257?mode=amp

The end of year lists have come at a good time and could propel the show to more prominence, but at the very least should convince HBO to persist with it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thargor wrote: »
    I do wonder if there's something more here. Veidt was a genius, fully in control who fooled an entire world almost. This imprisoned version is indeed a bit wacky so hoping we see what starts him tipping into this OTT insanity.

I'm assuming that - and this is speculation just from the show, not based on the books:
    Lady Trieu is his daughter and his plea for help on the moon is likely 'Help me daughter' and not 'Help me Dr. Manhattan'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ixoy wrote: »
    Excellent again.

I won't say I know much of Moore's state of being, but he has often given the impression he has a very low opinion of TV and film to begin with, that they might be the "low arts" to him, but I could be way off base. Wouldn't surprise if he simply says he hasn't watched it, if asked, and doesn't intend to. He's a fairly eccentric chap, that much seems fair to say.

Slydice wrote: »
    You need to get on 7 .. like immediately!

Yeah, that was a helluva ending all right, though it's hard not to be cynical at how convenient everything is tied together. Still, wowsers, what a show, with the ticking clock now the prospect of a
    white supremacist Manhatten
    in a version of America with no term limits haha. The moments of surrealism in this remain so brilliant though, the elephant being the standout

Also, with two episodes left I'm still holding out hope for a bonkers Robert Redford cameo, playing himself of course. His presence has been everywhere in this liberal dystopia and to swing an appearance by the "retired" actor would be glorious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'm sickened this & the Mandalorian are both ending within 2 weeks of each other. I'll have binge watched The Witcher well before the New Year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭al87987

Really is an outstanding show.

Look forward to it every week like no other show since maybe GOT. Succession was similar maybe but in a different way.

Every time I think I've reached peak tv, something else comes along to get me hooked.

al87987 wrote: »
    Really is an outstanding show.

Look forward to it every week like no other show since maybe GOT. Succession was similar maybe but in a different way.

Every time I think I've reached peak tv, something else comes along to get me hooked.

It really has been better than it had any right to be: all would have been forgiven for maintaining a caution about this, given the sheer height of mythological awe the original book has achieved. Yet it's almost the perfect "sequel" to an adaptation really, one to use as a tool of comparison in future: take the status quo, run with it, extend out and build your own thing. And be confident enough in your work not to constantly call back (except in thematic ways, or the odd visual easter egg like the Knot-tops) with winks or narrative clones. It's fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It really has been better than it had any right to be: all would have been forgiven for maintaining a caution about this, given the sheer height of mythological awe the original book has achieved. Yet it's almost the perfect "sequel" to an adaptation really, one to use as a tool of comparison in future: take the status quo, run with it, extend out and build your own thing. And be confident enough in your work not to constantly call back (except in thematic ways, or the odd visual easter egg like the Knot-tops) with winks or narrative clones. It's fantastic stuff.

It really is fantastic stuff. Episode 6 was cinematic- its cinematography an absolute joy to watch. As for its provenance, it's really complex (wilkipedia is too much of a maze, with spoilers). For those, including me, who have seen the film (seen it twice) but never been comic-book/graphic novel fans, this captures where many of us are coming, in our bewilderment:
    https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2484461/watchmen-6-thoughts-about-hbos-show-from-someone-who-didnt-read-the-comic.
    I'm in the process of going through the HBO website for the series https://www.hbo.com/watchmen, more particularly the Peteypedia section, before carrying on to episode 7. After reading the Peteypedia section I'll probably carry on watching til the end, then do more research, then watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭robwen

Keep watching till the end of the credits this week, ep 8

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great to see a show that’s so fundamentally shaped by its characters that it carries over to the very structure of individual episodes. The sequence where Manhattan
    moderates a conversation across time
    is such a smart use of the character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Was the watchman graphic novel more of an ensemble piece with equal time to Nite Owl Roschach and Veidt? My one criticism of the show is that too much time is spent on the Angela character, her past, her relationships, her storyline. Interesting to see how this could change if they get a season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was the watchman graphic novel more of an ensemble piece with equal time to Nite Owl Roschach and Veidt? My one criticism of the show is that too much time is spent on the Angela character, her past, her relationships, her storyline. Interesting to see how this could change if they get a season 2.

I think a few week's of the show was basically about a single character. Looking Glass, Dr Manhattan & Laurie Blake all had episodes based around their character.
    Lady Trieu, Judd Crawford & Hooded Justice had episodes where they were front and centre too.
    Angela at times was a bore but I was happy whenever she was Sister Night or not playing Mom to their kids. I swear when they disappeared last night I thought they were going to be revealed to be placed in her imagination by Cal/Jon because their characters were so one dimensional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Suicide by c/kavalry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another fantastic episode. Performance from the actor who plays Cal wasn't overly great, but he did well enough. Regina King was great, as was Jeremy Irons (whose more subdued performance in Karnak was a welcome change from his general OTT performance in previous episodes on Europa). The story beats were great and how they used Manhattan's time differentials to great use, and the final part where Angela and her grandfather talk through him was genius.

Really excited for the finale. This has turned into one of the best shows of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

robwen wrote: »
    Keep watching till the end of the credits this week, ep 8

Thanks, I hope there wasn't after credit scenes every week or else I've missed out

Thanks, I hope there wasn't after credit scenes every week or else I've missed out

There was.

Just this week.

• Advertisement

Wait, there have been after-credits scenes each episode? Ah FFS! How instrumental have they been to the series?

Scratch that I am getting my series mixed up.

This week was the only one on Watchmen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭DenMan

I love this series so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I wish next week wasn’t the last episode. Hopefully it’s finished off in style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

What a show! Best I've "watched" in years. Don't know anything/much about the comics, apart from the movie a few years back (which i can barely remember)..but this show has had me hooked from the start. Fantastic all round. I'm sure there's so many nods and winks I'm missing out on but enjoying all the ones Lindelof has written into the series.
    Must check out the leftovers too off the back of this.

• Advertisement

Wait, there have been after-credits scenes each episode? Ah FFS! How instrumental have they been to the series?

Each week has had a promo for the next episode. This week was the only one with a proper aftercredits scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

A god walks into abar, Haha. lindelof, you son of a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

If anyone is interested in The Leftovers after this, I’d recommend not giving up after season 1. The show takes a huge leap in quality after S:1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭ollkiller

kerplun k wrote: »
    If anyone is interested in The Leftovers after this, I’d recommend not giving up after season 1. The show takes a huge leap in quality after S:1.

This. The first season of The Leftovers is very slow and trying. But it's all a setup for Season 2 and 3. Which are some of the best television ever made. The episode International Assassin in Season 2 will blow your f***ing mind apart. Television of the highest caliber. And the cast are fantastic.

ollkiller wrote: »
    This. The first season of The Leftovers is very slow and trying. But it's all a setup for Season 2 and 3. Which are some of the best television ever made. The episode International Assassin in Season 2 will blow your f***ing mind apart. Television of the highest caliber. And the cast are fantastic.

Must give it a try myself. I'm the only person I know who liked all of Lost (yes it was really awful in places, but it also hit some amazing highs with terrific actors and episodes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Leftovers is brilliant. Very well acted, and written and the soundtrack is one of the best.

I think the first season is loosely based on the book then Lindelof went his own way and nailed it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I've yet to watch the Leftovers but I was a Lost fan. It was a fun ride while it was around. After this though Lindelof will have to be cut far more slack by people over the internet as he has well and truly nailed it*. There should be no more "ugh.... but it's by the guy who wrote Lost and Prometheus."

*Subject to the finale not bombing harder than Game of Thrones:pac:

Big fan of the use of the Blue Danube for the Dr Manhattan scenes, nice throw back to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but I read last week that the big blue Dr.Manhattan "intimacy device" Laurie went to use in episode 3 was called Excalibur.

Excalibur.

Ex-Cal-Abar :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

She's totally going to find magic waffles in the kitchen next week and get his powers from them :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement