Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester Utd. Vs. Arsenal 16:30 : Arsene`s final furlong

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The game changer

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Utds form against the top sides has been impressive this season

If only we could have gotten more results against the weaker sides like today we could have been much closer to a title challenge
    Hopefully that's 2nd place secured

Quazzie wrote: »
    With the team that Arsenal put out, and with their away form, to only win this with a 90th minute long ball is embarrassing for United.

Not as embarrassing as your season.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

A good day for United. Champions League football secured, almost within reach of guaranteeing 2nd, and there's an FA Cup Final to look forward to as well. Very healthy progression from where the club was a year ago.

Best crisis season ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Utds form against the top sides has been impressive this season

If only we could have gotten more results against the weaker sides like today we could have been much closer to a title challenge
    Hopefully that's 2nd place secured

Sorry but when you're relying on Fellani to win against weaker sides like Arsenal, you don't challenge against City. Take De Gea out of equation and you don't get 2nd.

Sorry but when you're relying on Fellani to win against weaker sides like Arsenal, you don't challenge against City. Take De Gea out of equation and you don't get 2nd.

Suppose that is the genius in allowing de gea to play eh

Not as embarrassing as your season.

We`re in semi-final against Athletico on Thursday..could be worse. Below first nobody remembers down the line.

Good luck in the FA Cup final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Need to sign another big man with Zlatan gone, no plan C if required😉

Suppose that is the genius in allowing de gea to play eh

Only by the grace of fax ey. .. no need to be obtuse, my point was pretty clear.. Man United are massively reliant on De Gea, without him you`re in trouble. What Arsenal would give for a keeper like him.

We`re in semi-final against Athletico on Thursday..could be worse. Below first nobody remembers down the line.

Good luck in the FA Cup final.

Thanks, and good luck to you too.

Getting to the semi final has been one hell of an achievement, I'm sure you will remember it even though you say nobody remembers unless your first

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

take pep and raft of the city players out of the mix and they don’t win the league.....what an utterly bizarre logic

Thanks, and good luck to you too.

Getting to the semi final has been one hell of an achievement, I'm sure you will remember it even though you say nobody remembers unless your first

Thanks but we could still get to the final !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Only by the grace of fax ey. .. no need to be obtuse, my point was pretty clear.. Man United are massively reliant on De Gea, without him you`re in trouble. What Arsenal would give for a keeper like him.

United are not massively reliant on de Gea. People that say that have only watched a handful of our games this season.

Yeah, the only problem with that theory is it's outdated.

We have been massively reliant on the keeper and it didn't get us in the top four.

Now we are not as reliant on him and we are comfortably second and improved big time even in a year on year basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Redknapp earlier bemoaned Jose's decision to turn to Fellaini and now he's talking about it being an inspired move. He must be one of the worst pundits out there. Offers nothing of substance and his narrative of events is purely based upon the outcome. Had the game ended 1-1 he'd be saying the total opposite of what he's saying now. Total spoofer.

take pep and raft of the city players out of the mix and they don’t win the league.....what an utterly bizarre logic

How is that bizzare logic. Man City are a more complete team than Manchester United... they are not as reliant on one player as Man United are.. I think that's a fair comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Redknapp earlier bemoaned Jose's decision to turn to Fellaini and now he's talking about it being an inspired move. He must be one of the worst pundits out there. Offers nothing of substance and his narrative of events is purely based upon the outcome. Had the game ended 1-1 he'd be saying the total opposite of what he's saying now. Total spoofer.

He's the Big Show of punditry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Take De Gea out of equation and you don't get 2nd.

Never understand this argument. Take Salah away from Liverpool and they dont get CL football. Take Messi away from Barca and they aren't a GOAT team. Take Ronaldo away from Madrid etc..... Point is they are their best players and they do play for the teams so why say without X team Y wouldn't be Z? Makes no sense, all it does is make you look incredibly bitter.

Yeah, the only problem with that theory is it's outdated.

We have been massively reliant on the keeper and it didn't get us in the top four.

Now we are not as reliant on him and we are comfortably second and improved big time even in a year on year basis.

True your league position has improved, and that is your position. We`ll agree to disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

United are not massively repaint on de Gea.

Is that the plan for the summer? paint him a different colour and hope Real don't recognise him? :D

Kirby wrote: »
    Is that the plan for the summer? paint him a different colour and hope Real don't recognise him? :D

Safe enough at this point.

The Roma keeper is strongly linked, and courtouis of course.

LeeJM wrote: »
    Never understand this argument. Take Salah away from Liverpool and they dont get CL football. Take Messi away from Barca and they aren't a GOAT team. Take Ronaldo away from Madrid etc..... Point is they are their best players and they do play for the teams so why say without X team Y wouldn't be Z? Makes no sense, all it does is make you look incredibly bitter.

Sorry if it makes me sound bitter, the point I was trying to make is that they need to be more balanced and that challenging for the league means they need to be the sum of their parts. Take out Messi and they still challenge for La Liga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

This whole debate about DDG is strange and is a stupid argument to try and diminish Uniteds outfield achievements, case in point, we won the EL without him playing last year.

Liverpool are massively reliant on Salah.

Spurs are massively reliant on Kane.

City are massively reliant on KDB.

And so forth.

It's a team game and we happen to have the best keeper in the world in our team. We have also been much less reliant on him since Jose came in.

It's just a lazy, lazy argument that simply does not hold up under any kind of scrutiny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

2-1 total embarrassment from united, boring football, long balls to Fellaini, total joke, where's the entertainment factor, boreball they should rename old Trafford

^
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement

United are not massively reliant on de Gea. People that say that have only watched a handful of our games this season.

It's based off some very faulty logic applied to xg stats

This whole debate about DDG is strange and is a stupid argument to try and diminish Uniteds outfield achievements, case in point, we won the EL without him playing last year.

Liverpool are massively reliant on Salah.

Spurs are massively reliant on Kane.

City are massively reliant on KDB.

And so forth.

It's a team game and we happen to have the best keeper in the world in our team. We have also been much less reliant on him since Jose came in.

It's just a lazy, lazy argument that simply does not hold up under any kind of scrutiny.

The EL run you had last year was fairly easy to be fair.

Point is those teams aren't as reliant on those players. If they get injured or have a **** game they can stlill win.

His average number of saves this season per game is 3.3. In the last 4 seasons it was below 2.7. He has single handledly won you points this season with amazing saves.. the reverse fixture at Emirates comes to mind.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    2-1 total embarrassment from united, boring football, long balls to Fellaini, total joke, where's the entertainment factor, boreball they should rename old Trafford

A5kjp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

You should watch hockey. Ball never allowed of the ground then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It wouldn't be the type of football I'd like to watch. But....they won two trophies with it last season, and they've got a 50/50 chance of adding another one in three weeks' time. Hard to argue with that, really. And I think "embarrassment" is a bit strong as well. I doubt the majority of utd fans are embarrassed by it, are they? And I'm no lover of utd, believe me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Utd barely got out of 3rd gear today. Weren't really needing to.Nice too give Wenger one last taste of Fergie time for old time's sake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Beating a top 6 side at home
    Yera, embarrassing sure.

What's finishing below a team that plays "embarrassing" football?

How embarrassing is it not to be able to beat that team that plays such embarrassing football.

If you consider not been able to beat WBA out of 3 attempts entertaining.

Then I'll stick to this

Great result against Stoke yesterday. Nothing embarrassing about that at all.

And Arsenal still haven't claimed an away point this year..

I think you should send them an email stating that very idea.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    And Arsenal still haven't claimed an away point this year..

But at least they aren't embarassing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

blueser wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the type of football I'd like to watch. But....they won two trophies with it last season, and they've got a 50/50 chance of adding another one in three weeks' time. Hard to argue with that, really. And I think "embarrassment" is a bit strong as well. I doubt the majority of utd fans are embarrassed by it, are they? And I'm no lover of utd, believe me.

It is, its all well and good winning two ****ty trophies no one ever heard off, but for the most expensive team ever assembled to play like that is boring and embarrassing, I remember watching some great united players like gigs and kids trying to beat 4 or 5 players and score, now kids are hitting long balls to the tallest player and hoping they'll score. Total embarrassment!!!

pjohnson wrote: »
    But at least they aren't embarassing!

Nothing embarrassing at all about Arsenal.

Success year in year out thrilling the fans, can barely get a seat at the Emirates I'm told

On a side note, I absolutely love it when posters use the style of trump tweets when posting, it's becoming some kind of fetish I'm certain :D

I hear their posts in his voice which makes them even funnier

It is, its all well and good winning two ****ty trophies no one ever heard off, but for the most expensive team ever assembled to play like that is boring and embarrassing, I remember watching some great united players like gigs and kids trying to beat 4 or 5 players and score, now kids are hitting long balls to the tallest player and hoping they'll score. Total embarrassment!!!

I remember Arsenal challenging for titles. Total embarrassment coming 6th.

Am I doing this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

blueser wrote: »

A ****ty trophy arsenal fans are desperate to win, and are in the semi final of? For your own sake, just stop now!

Point is those teams aren't as reliant on those players. If they get injured or have a **** game they can stlill win.

His average number of saves this season per game is 3.3. In the last 4 seasons it was below 2.7. He has single handledly won you points this season with amazing saves.. the reverse fixture at Emirates comes to mind.

How many of the saves has he made this season that any other half way competent keeper wouldn't save?

Of course he has made almost otherworldly saves a few times this season but I've watched pretty much every game this year and I can count on the fingers of 1 hand where I could say he won us the points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Crossing is the new long ball now apparently.

adox wrote: »

The ball leaves the ground.

Should be a free to the other team when that happens I guess.

I wish you would post more often, you never fail to make me smile.

Sure don't you know objectivity and facts have no place in discussing united?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Lads he's just upset that St Totteringham's Day is cancelled again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

So you are saying if he played for Arsenal, City would be signing him this summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Also top keeper makes top saves.

It’s just nonsense. Like, if you didn’t score so many goals and concede so little you’d be ****e.

It’s are certainly a work in progress and personally I’m amazed that they may finish second but that does put into perspective somewhat the kareative about them and the teams around them. Liverpool and Tottenham are fantastic and Utd are struggling and in crisis. Yet look at that league table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

limnam wrote: »
    Beating a top 6 side at home
    Yera, embarrassing sure.

What's finishing below a team that plays "embarrassing" football?

How embarrassing is it not to be able to beat that team that plays such embarrassing football.

If you consider not been able to beat WBA out of 3 attempts entertaining.

Then I'll stick to this

Great result against Stoke yesterday. Nothing embarrassing about that at all.

Why are you bringing up Liverpool to an Arsenal fan in a Utd vs Arsenal match thread?

How many of the saves has he made this season that any other half way competent keeper wouldn't save?

Of course he has made almost otherworldly saves a few times this season but I've watched pretty much every game this year and I can count on the fingers of 1 hand where I could say he won us the points.

That's the thing, from important saves that win you games, quite a few. He has the most clean sheets in Europe this season.

Cech in February made the same point.

I think De Gea is Man Uniteds best player. The likes of Lukaku would need to step up next season to challenge City.. I wouldn't even countenance Arsenal as they are an inferior team to the rest of top 5 atm.

• Advertisement

Also top keeper makes top saves.

It’s just nonsense. Like, if you didn’t score so many goals and concede so little you’d be ****e.

It’s are certainly a work in progress and personally I’m amazed that they may finish second but that does put into perspective somewhat the kareative about them and the teams around them. Liverpool and Tottenham are fantastic and Utd are struggling and in crisis. Yet look at that league table.

There's been a gulf in class between Man City and the rest this season.. it`s something that all teams below them including the so called amazing Liverpool and Spurs need to address to win the title. I don't see why that POV is controversial..

Advertisement