Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my pc about to die? What should I do?

Options
  • 29-04-2018 4:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dell XPS 8500 - did a windows 10 update the other day and when it restarted it got to the black screen with the blue windows logo and hung there for 20 minutes. Had to force restart and it did the same again, eventually later it loaded into windows. Since then it has done this a few times.

Today I noticed that the fan at the back of the pc was starting and stopping every few seconds. Just checked it now and its not moving.

My main disk is an ssd but i have two other normal sata drive.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

1st thing I'd do is disconnect from power and then re-seat all components and connectors.
    Then download and apply latest Windows 10 BIOS and drivers from Dell for this model PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Leave it on for a few hours to complete windows updates. None of my computers have W10 because of this rubbish, I think W10 is becoming the new Vista.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

jca wrote: »
    Leave it on for a few hours to complete windows updates. None of my computers have W10 because of this rubbish, I think W10 is becoming the new Vista.

was that not W8??

daheff wrote: »
    was that not W8??

I "upgraded" my laptop to W10 from 8.1 it was a disaster every step of the way. One clean install of W8.1 later and normal service was resumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

jca wrote: »
    I "upgraded" my laptop to W10 from 8.1 it was a disaster every step of the way. One clean install of W8.1 later and normal service was resumed.

I have managed close to 1,000 upgrades from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to Windows 10 and 99.9% were seamless. Key thing is that your hardware is fully supported on Windows 10 and you have all the correct updated and supported manufacturer drivers and BIOS. Biggest advantage of upgrading is you get a serious performance boost especially when upgrading from Windows 7.

• Advertisement

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have managed close to 1,000 upgrades from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 to Windows 10 and 99.9% were seamless. Key thing is that your hardware is fully supported on Windows 10 and you have all the correct updated and supported manufacturer drivers and BIOS. Biggest advantage of upgrading is you get a serious performance boost especially when upgrading from Windows 7.

The problem with using the manufacturers drivers is W10 keeps updating them and rendering the component in question unusable, the touchpad in my case.

Advertisement