Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell in main toilet

Options
  • 29-04-2018 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

Bought a house about 2 years ago. The house is about 9 years old. Every once in a while a bad septic tank smell comes into the main toilet upstairs. I have yet to start looking for the source of the issue. One thing I notice that is very strange (to me anyway) is there is a vent on the outside of the wall where the toilet pipe joins into, going up into the eaves of the roof. To me the could possibly facilitate the smell going from the vent into the roof and down through the light fittings into the bathroom. Has anyone ever seen a vent to go into the eves of the house before? Please see pic attached.

19av6o.jpg

The window is the bathroom with the smell, and the pipe is where the toilet joins into the sewer, but the vent goes into eves....dosn't seem right to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Courtn2

Hiya,

Take a trip to your attic. We had a similar smell but restricted to the attic.

Vent through the eaves was fine, but it was connected to the roof vent within the attic with flexible corrugated “pipe” that was waterlogged and sagging- this became a vent block meaning all the gas was venting to the attic at the join rather than outside through the roof vent.

Easy to fix, just replaced the flexi with proper wavin.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bourkg

Courtn2 wrote: »
    Hiya,

Take a trip to your attic. We had a similar smell but restricted to the attic.

Vent through the eaves was fine, but it was connected to the roof vent within the attic with flexible corrugated “pipe” that was waterlogged and sagging- this became a vent block meaning all the gas was venting to the attic at the join rather than outside through the roof vent.

Easy to fix, just replaced the flexi with proper wavin.

Hope this helps.

Tks,

That would make sense as I've noticed that it is only after heavy rain it occurs...I thought that it was due to water getting into tank pushing smell back up....I'll take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bourkg

Just an update. I went up into the attic and sure enough, the smell was worse directly over the toilet. In my case, there was about a foot and a half of corrugated “pipe” connecting the wavin pipe to the vent in the roof. The corrugated pipe was pushed on over the wavin pipe but it was extremly loose. I could fit 3 fingers in between. So I suspect the wind direction cause the smell to be blown back and out where the corrugated pipe was pushed over the wavin pipe. I bought a large hose clip and put sillicone all around the wavin pipe and tightened up the hose clip. Within 10 minutes the smell was gone.

I'm hoping this has resolved the issue. Tks very much courtn2 for your help!

Advertisement