Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cherry blossom tree recommendation

Options
  • 29-04-2018 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi i'd like to get some recommendations for cherry blossoms. I went to the local garden centre but they just overwhelmed me with the amount of different types. Ideally id like a pink one that's small to medium and neither weeping nor totally vertical if that makes sense - as i've seen some that are very tall and narrow looking. Id like to plant in in our smallish front garden which is on a street with a lot of sun during the day and one thats not too tall and we've a bungalow. Any help that you experts could give would be greatly appreciated! thank in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Someone with more expertise may tell you otherwise but I wouldn't consider planting a cherry blossom any where near a house. Their roots can be quite destructive to drives, paving and even foundations.
    You mention you have a small garden so I'm guessing it'd be too close to the house for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I'm no botanist, so take this with a pinch of salt...

I don't think there's such a thing as a "cherry blossom tree". It's just a cherry tree that blossoms, which I assume all of them do until they get old and manky.

Grown on their own rootstocks (i.e. not grafted), cherry trees will get VERY big and develop big roots. They're also not tree that ages gracefully, after couple of decades they get tatty and stop blossoming.

But cherry trees grown for fruit are grafted on to more dwarfing rootstocks, for various reasons (like an orchard full of 10m trees will be low productivity and impossible to harvest).

So if you pick the right rootstock, the tree will be right sized for your garden, you'll get blossoms and then fruit.

https://www.orangepippintrees.com/articles/fruit-tree-advice/rootstocks-for-cherry-trees

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

As to a specific recommendation, I picked Stella cherry on Gisela 5 for my garden.

Generally the more dwarfing the rootstock, the more fussy the tree is about soil and staking. If you have less space, maybe Gisela 6.

Here's a list of varieties. There are others.

http://www.fruitandnut.ie/cherryvarieties.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭Thud

Lumen wrote: »

I don't think there's such a thing as a "cherry blossom tree". It's just a cherry tree that blossoms, which I assume all of them do until they get old and manky.

I think there are ornamental blossom only versions that don't fruit

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I have small northfacing front garden and was given a cherry "Amanagawa" nearly 40 yrs ago. It has done me proud every year and stays neat. It is about 10 ft tall now but with a small 'footprint' as column shaped.

• Advertisement
Advertisement