Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro 2018 - General Thread

Options
  • 29-04-2018 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

2vCmjLc.png?1

So anyone up for a Giro Thread ?

Its got Israel and its got Froome...what's not to like ??

But on the otherhand its got Sammy B, Nico & Ryan (I can TT like a superstar) Mullen..so maybe a few stage wins

Its also got a cracking course and beautiful scenery

Plus Tom Dumoulin, Esteban Chaves, Michael Woods, Bob Jungels, Tibo Pinot, Fabio Aru, Tim Wellens , Domenico Pozzovivo , Rohan Dennis, Ben Herman, Carlos Betencur, Wout Poels, Sergio Henao, David de la Cuiz and a plethora of Italian talent

And my tip for the win Miguel Angel Lopez

Come for the pasta and stay for the excitement !!
    And it could be the first GT in awhile Froome is beaten (if he lasts the duration...high winds, many illnesses (some yet to be invented) and an UCI ruling in th offing ) ....its pure melodrama all the way to Rome :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

First few stages TV coverage:

Giro d'Italia live on TV: #Giro101

Stage 1: 11:45 - 15:00 | ITT
    Stage 2: 11:45 - 16:00
    Stage 3: 10:30 - 16:00
    Stage 4: 12:15 - 16:15

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Will prob watch it once it reaches Italy

Hard to look passed Froome for this much as I loath to admit it. Himself and Deignan who's with him for this looked to be coming to good shape for this in the Tour of the Alps last week. Looks like Moviestar have doubled or even tripled down on the Tour de France and haven't sent one of the 3 big guns to this.

Aru didn't look great in the Alps, but Pinot and Pozzovivo did.

Dumoulin, hard to know he's not gone well in the few races he's been so far this season and pull out of them.

Is Bob Jungles starting ? Don't see his name on the start list and I thought he was due to ride this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2018/startlist

Startlist.

Jungels appears not to be on startlist, nor does Deignan.
    I don't know, how up to date list is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Here's the Garibaldi (59Mb):
    http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Garibaldi-20181.pdf

...and the TV Roadbook (23Mb):
    http://static2.giroditalia.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/TV-Roadbook_ENG.pdf

In other news, Jerusalem/Tel Aviv girl is back on the Eurosport ad breaks. Riding bikes. And she has a friend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eamonnator wrote: »
    https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/giro-d-italia/2018/startlist

Startlist.

Jungels appears not to be on startlist, nor does Deignan.
    I don't know, how up to date list is.

Sky have him starting

http://www.giroditalia.it/eng/squadra/team-sky-2/?refresh_ce-cp

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The official sky twitter feed listed their giro team earlier in the week... deignan wasnt listed. Would have to be a last minute switch.

Hopefully we get nico diaries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Looks like the Team Sky squad listed on teh Giro website was only provisional and looks like it is Elissonde replacing Deignan

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/chris-froome-in-team-sky-squad-for-giro-d-italia-1.3476346

Wonder what happened there , Deignan looked to be working well for Froome and in good shape last week in the Alps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Deignan out and King Kenny in ....quess SKY liked all the publicity Kenny got at Tour of Alps where he was feted for saving Froome's race ...Deignan will never ride a GT again until he leaves SKY

The Cycling Podcast were on about Jungels riding the Giro so not sure what went down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Hopefully Mullen will have a good chance in the ITT

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

looking forward to the big mountain stages especially if the weathers poxy and freezing on those stages & summits it could make things very interesting. Hopefully stages wont be cut short because of weather

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

Hopefully Froome won't feel the need to hold onto a car this time round ;-). I think the Zoncolan could be a very interesting stage. When you think of Froomes one bad day in the tour last year it was on an ultra steep finish in the Pyrenees. The Zoncolan is that finish for the entirety of the climb.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »
    looking forward to the big mountain stages especially if the weathers poxy and freezing on those stages & summits it could make things very interesting. Hopefully stages wont be cut short because of weather

I think if the weathers poxy and freezing Froome wont be able to cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

godtabh wrote: »

I'm more curious to see how the tifosi treat him. Italy seem not to mind their favourite riders being less-than-chaste so much. If it was France they'd lynch him. Italy, I'm not so sure. If they decide they don't like him, its gonna be a long 3 weeks.

Don't think the Italians were that keen on Wiggins the year he did the giro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

neris wrote: »
    Don't think the Italians were that keen on Wiggins the year he did the giro

Do Europeans Like any British cyclist? Or the British in general

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Good to hear that Nico is not just there as a domestique..

From cyclingnews:
    "Our first goal comes on day one with the time trial. It's a technical course, lots of turns, and a good time trial profile for Rohan Dennis. We want to start the Giro d'Italia with a good result there and then move on to our other objectives," directeur sportif Max Sciandri said when BMC confirmed its line-up.
    "In terms of the general classification, Rohan is motivated to see how far he can go and we plan to take things week by week. There are quite a few uphill finishes in the first 10 days so we will know more by then and, of course, the time trial from Trento is also a good one for him. Nicolas Roche also has general classification ambitions and is looking to see where he can end up. After the Mount Etna stage in the first week, we will see how Nicolas is going."

Is there velogames up yet for this?

• Advertisement

Good to hear that Nico is not just there as a domestique..

From cyclingnews:

He has been in Ireland training it the colder climate as cold is his nemesis ...hence usually no form till summer ...

There a few rolling stages that could suit him ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

What are the odds Froome starts the Giro, does the 3 days in Israel, collects the paycheck and then goes home?

If he has any idea of the case going badly against him, it may not be such an unlikely suggestion.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    He has been in Ireland training it the colder climate as cold is his nemesis ...hence usually no form till summer ...

There a few rolling stages that could suit him ..

I've seen a few things with him locally. Didnt realise it was a camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

godtabh wrote: »

Salbutamol freezes :D

Is there velogames up yet for this?

League Code: 317032120

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

The obligatory freebbetting advice all for a good cause if you scroll through the posts.

https://www.facebook.com/WheelieBets/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Pippo Pozzato is a late withdrawal - his father is ill.

• Advertisement

So wil we see Ryan Mullen in the white jersey after tomorrow ....great chance for him

Advertisement