Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plantar Fasciitis

• 29-04-2018 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

After a visit to the physio I have been diagnosed with the dreaded PF

Not looking for medical advice as I've already been to the doc!

For anyone who knows a lot about the condition, the details are that the ultrasound showed a 4.5 on the 'good' foot and 7.4 on the 'bad' one.

From my understanding of what the physio told me, the numbers refer to a breakdown of collagen.

I've a follow-up appointment in 2 weeks and I will be asking physio for the green light on a run I would like to do that weekend. Won't be looking to race it (Terenure 5 mile) but would at least like to jog it.

So, what can I do to make sure I'm in the best position possible? Any tips on how to speed up the healing process. This is what I'm currently doing:

1. Not running
    2. Doing all exercises physio gave me and icing the area for 10 mins 3 times a day as per her instructions too.

Extra stuff I'm doing to try speed up the process:
    3. Restorative yoga to improve flexibility
    4. Lots of turmeric tea :pac: Meant to help with inflammation
    5. Collagen supplements from health store.
    6. Drinking more water
    7. Getting more sleep (aiming for 8hrs minimim instead of average 6hrs per night which is more normal for me)

I know I can't heal overnight, and to be good enough in 2 weeks for Terenure is prob expecting too much, but at the same time, if I can do anything to prevent being out for 6months I'd like to do it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Get a tennis ball or golf ball if your sadistic and roll the $hit out of your feet. I suffered & still stuffer from it from time to time and that’s what I have found helps alleviate the problem for me. Fill a coke bottle or something similar and freeze it and use that to roll the feet either.

It will be painful to start but once your break it down the pain will ease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Something very cold on the area i found great. I had it for 18 months and got great relief with using anything cold on the area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I have to echo the golf ball comment above. Painful but worth it.

I had it last year and it kicked in usually on a mid to long run. So after 8 miles or so the pain was excruciating and would have to walk it in. Good physio advice and eccentric stretching on the achilles helped.

You should be in good hands with your advice and you are disciplined with your application of it.

Best of luck on the slow recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

...memories of the golf ball..... <shudder>

Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I had this one year,I just did,1 hour in the gym,on the bike, for 4 months,6 days aweek.Depressing stuff.My physio,told me,do more or less what's advised above,but to wear your runner's,24/7.That's from taking a p*as, to stepping into and out of the shower.Eventually it healed.But running on it would just lead to a longer recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    I had this one year,I just did,1 hour in the gym,on the bike, for 4 months,6 days aweek.Depressing stuff.My physio,told me,do more or less what's advised above,but to wear your runner's,24/7.That's from taking a p*as, to stepping into and out of the shower.Eventually it healed.But running on it would just lead to a longer recovery.

Why to wear your runners all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Because,when u step on the floor,first thing in the morning,u damage the heel again,and ur back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Walking barefoot is one thing advised not to do when struggling with PF. I was told to wear footwear with support at all times as well - runners would be an easy option I suppose.

I went with the sliotar as opposed to golf ball, had one at my desk and used it constantly. I also used the support sock for sleeping for a while too. Bottle with ice and stretching and wriggling the foot before even taking a first step in the morning, along with the recommended exercises were all a feature too.

My biggest mistake was ignoring it at first and trying to run through it. After a period of rest, treatment and the above I was able to come back very gradually and then manage it with what I knew worked for me.

Because,when u step on the floor,first thing in the morning,u damage the heel again,and ur back to square one.

This is brilliant, thank you. I've been walking around in my socks all day!! Runners are back on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I was advised and got a night brace for this reason. Keeps the foot in the correct position and prevents the instant tearing every morning as it hasn't rested incorrectly. Helped a lot. And whenever it flared its head over the last 8 years or so, a couple of nights of it put me back to normal fast. Maybe ask about one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Good article: http://www.running-physio.com/pf-new-research/

Your physio should eventually move you onto the exercise discussed in that document.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Had it for a few months, went to physio, tried both the golf and tennis ball. For me they didn't work too good.

Then I got one of these:

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Spiky_Massage_Ball/2267/39008.html

and I haven't looked back since! The spikes I find are much better at getting into the muscle than either of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cox222

Another advocate of the golf ball here. I also found that wearing a strassburg sock at night sped up healing.

My advice would be not to run until you have it under control. You may end up doing longer term damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Had it for a few months, went to physio, tried both the golf and tennis ball. For me they didn't work too good.

Then I got one of these:

https://www.physioroom.com/product/PhysioRoom.com_Spiky_Massage_Ball/2267/39008.html

and I haven't looked back since! The spikes I find are much better at getting into the muscle than either of the above.

I use something like that, but it's actually one of those laundry balls. Does the same job though.

FWIW, the only thing that has relieved the morning heel pain for me is a Strassburg sock type arrangement worn overnight - I made mine with a couple of wide resistance bands.

Still have the PF pain though since September. Doesn't bother me while I'm running but sometimes I'm hobbling for days after. Tried 4 weeks off after Dublin but that didn't help and I was getting depressed, so I'd run and hobble on alternate days.

Finally with training target races slipping, I decided to run through it for a week solid- it certainly didn't get worse and my feeling is it's slightly stronger and under control now, as long as I stick to long easy runs. Have done quite a few 100km+ weeks with no further deterioration. Hobbling after a fast 10 mile yesterday though, so it's back to the slow stuff again.

I'm also a big believer in eccentric heel raises (on a step) to strengthen the achilles and associated muscles.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

Another thing I meant to add was when I first got it and it was at its worst I had two bouts of laser treatment to break down the tissue. Worked for me along with intense rolling of the feet.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Another thing I meant to add was when I first got it and it was at its worst I had two bouts of laser treatment to break down the tissue. Worked for me along with intense rolling of the feet.

Oonegative - how long were you out of action for?

Thanks all - got a ball today on way home from work. It's bigger than a golf ball, they hadn't got any of the spikey ones. It is torture! Also, can almost hear it working - is that normal? :eek:

Oonegative - how long were you out of action for?

Thanks all - got a ball today on way home from work. It's bigger than a golf ball, they hadn't got any of the spikey ones. It is torture! Also, can almost hear it working - is that normal? :eek:

About 5 months all told, missed DCM 2012 because of it, like you I had it in both feet at some time, right one being particularly bad.

OOnegative wrote: »
    About 5 months all told, missed DCM 2012 because of it, like you I had it in both feet at some time, right one being particularly bad.

yikes, 5 months. I better reset my expectations I think.

Am doing everything that has been suggested here. Except the laser and night brace. I will bring these up with physio in 2 weeks when I'm back. The ball comes with me to work now and I do it as much as I can at desk. At lunch I do lots of stretches and I joined gym this evening. God help me. I had forgotten how much I hate the gym.

In terms of cycling, what should I be doing on the bike to maintain fitness.

Should I try to emulate my running schedule as much as I can, ie: A slow, short cycle one day, a faster, speedy session another, a 'hill' session and a longer one at the weekend?

In fairness, it's a nice feeling tonight - the legs have been worked well but the feet aren't screaming at me

Hi all

After a visit to the physio I have been diagnosed with the dreaded PF

Not looking for medical advice as I've already been to the doc!

For anyone who knows a lot about the condition, the details are that the ultrasound showed a 4.5 on the 'good' foot and 7.4 on the 'bad' one.

Update: I am just back from physio where today's ultrasound showed a 4.1 on the good foot and a 4.3 on the bad one.

Maybe the turmeric tea and collagen supplements weren't a waste of time after all.

Apparently I can return to a gentle run, so long as I feel okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 dejanp

Only thing that worked for me was really basic:
    Leg flat out on the floor - towel around foot - pull to stretch. 4-5x per day with 4 repeats in each for 40-60secs. Actually in the beginning every time I felt it hurting. Eventually build up the stretch. From just ordinary pull around the foot add to the ending wrap on the toes and pull them down - extending stretch of PF.

Insoles might work in some cases. It's a game of trial and catch...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I kept a tin of tomatoes in the freezer. When I felt the need, I'd take it out and roll my foot forwards and backwards over it.
    Note: must be organic tomatoes.

Advertisement