Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Emulation Discussion

1323334353638»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,051 ✭✭✭Doge

Been ages since I looked at RetroPie but here's a few things I learned watching this video:

• It now supports Netplay (figures as it uses retroarch). Seems a bit fiddly unless you can enable an option to have it enabled by default when you run a game. That would be handy for friends who are less technical that you want to play with. Also both people need to be running the same version of RetroPie / Arch.
    • It supports achievements for old games, a bit like modern consoles.
    • You can use a scraper to download artwork and preview videos.
    • The image is available to download and install from the official Raspberry Pi software (only upto Pi 4 models at the time of the video.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Inviere

Emulation setup rebuild complete, I've trimmed a LOT of fat and bloat. For whatever reason, it just feels more accessible and desirable to use now…there's still quite a lot of games & systems on it, but they're things I'll use - not just there for the sake of having them there. As an aside, Launchbox integrates very very nicely with Retroarch now which makes setting things up a little more streamlined. I grabbed about 30 or so games from the new eXoDOS (thanks Steve for the heads up), and integrated them into this new setup (not exactly an intuitive process, but once you figure out the structure, it's quite easy.)

I took the time to look at newer Big Box themes too, and found this gem…

^^ Mini Consoles Theme - A Massive amount of effort and detail gone into this, and it's not garish or in your face (you can tailor it to how you like). It's as if the majority of consoles all had official mini versions, and this is their menu system (that's how polished it is.)

So all done now, just backing up as we speak!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've a RetroPie running in the cab, though I have an Arcadepunks image to burn to a card for my Pi4, which would be better.

But I've also picked up a mayflash sensor bar, which should give me a working lightgun on pretty much everything, with a little setting up.

The sensor bar can be set to work as a mouse, which Retroarch will integrate into everything, with some luck.

Advertisement