Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roy Orbison Hologram Tour - 3Arena Sunday April 29 2018

Options
  • 29-04-2018 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Am at the Hologram Tour show tonite - back section curtained off but very decent crowd. Mainly older as would guess.

Images/vids strictly prohibited. Will post a quick sum up later.

This will be freaky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭lc180

Respectfully awaiting your brutally honest review :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Yes, I'd be very interested to hear your comments, as it seems to be polarising people. Some reviews of shows in the UK were polite but critical, three star efforts, while others were more scathing.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Would also know what its like to go and cheer a projector!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Yes, I'd be very interested to hear your comments, as it seems to be polarising people. Some reviews of shows in the UK were polite but critical, three star efforts, while others were more scathing.

So it’s sh!t then. Honestly I’d really hope that people just straight up refuse to pay for this crap. If the music industry thinks people are willing to pay good money for this then soon enough you’ll see artists who are alive and well using holograms for tours instead of actually doing it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Very strange show. Viewed it more of a technical exercise than a "gig" really. Was 6th or 7th row middle and genuinely couldnt see the "strings". Hilariously, "Drove All Night" was a banger.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Well! I went in expecting to either dislike it or be bored (I'm not a fan of his music) - I thought it was fantastic.

The hologram is scarily lifelike and not jarring on the eyes in relation to the orchestra - there was an audible gasp when "Roy" appeared.

I couldn't take my eyes off it and the sound in there was brilliant for once!

The visuals and set design other than the holo were equally good.

"I Drove All Night" played like a 70s disco banger.

I would go again if it was on a second night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

looks decent from the few photos i've seen.
    can't really think of any defunct bands/acts that I'd go see doing something like that though.

I see Abba are planning similar later this year.

DbLotCZXUAAog5c.jpg

Db3tqpdXcAETQIm.jpg:large

a few videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHW7US5ce34

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhyK6JVFA-J/?taken-by=laurentday

If there are any articles on the tech please share. I couldn’t see what the image was projected onto from my seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Help me Orbi-wan...

You're my only hope.

I'd say that's R2-D2 tech for sure.

I took a very short clip myself - anyone taking a phone out was approached and told to put it back.

The videos taken by cameraphones when played back as per the clips above give a sort of "apparition glare" around the hologram which doesn't do it justice - when you were there it was totally lifelike.

To a poster above who said it will replace other gigs, definitely not, but as a technology it could sit comfortably beside them. I would go to see any show using this technology. I'd say they'll be limited enough in who they recreate though - Michael Jackson for example would be much harder.

• Advertisement

looks decent from the few photos i've seen.
    can't really think of any defunct bands/acts that I'd go see doing something like that though.

I'd pay €20 to see a Prince hologram with a full live band in a club or small venue setting.

Treat these gigs like a modern take on a tribute band and price them appropriately then there is great potential here.
    But charging proper gig prices, in soulless arenas for a projection, no matter how great the orchestra/ band is wouldnt really do it for me. Each to their own though.

lc180 wrote: »
    I'd pay €20 to see a Prince hologram with a full live band in a club or small venue setting.

Treat these gigs like a modern take on a tribute band and price them appropriately then there is great potential here.
    But charging proper gig prices, in soulless arenas for a projection, no matter how great the orchestra/ band is wouldnt really do it for me. Each to their own though.

I think the same company that developed this show have a Maria Callas one planned. Definitely worth seeing even if the music wouldn't be to one's liking.

I think the same company that developed this show have a Maria Callas one planned. Definitely worth seeing even if the music wouldn't be to one's liking.

Was in Florida last year, did a tour of Kennedy Space Center where they have some exhibits with hologram technology. It was incredibly impressive.

Was in Florida last year, did a tour of Kennedy Space Center where they have some exhibits with hologram technology. It was incredibly impressive.

Here's the promo clip from BASE Technology for Callas. Looks like it's coming to Europe next winter.

Vibe from this clip of the hologram is very similar to last night.

https://basehologram.com/productions/maria-callas

• Registered Users Posts: 38,410 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How do u not knw some bands are using holograms already and were all being fooled ??? Lol

It find the whole thing sort of eery but prob cool for a once off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I wouldn't have thought it could be more that €25 until I saw your post. Quick google informed me tickets were €60 to €70 each. Divine mother of God. Someone, somewhere is having a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,794 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Was it really only an hour? Complete Ripoff if so.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

€60-70 for an hour watching a hologram :D

Seriously, why would anyone pay that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wooderson wrote: »
    If there are any articles on the tech please share. I couldn’t see what the image was projected onto from my seat.

It's basically a net, can see straight through it. Steven Wilson used it to great effect in the Olympia, add a new dimension to the show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Was it really only an hour? Complete Ripoff if so.....

Yep one hour, although my folks really enjoyed it

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    It's basically a net, can see straight through it. Steven Wilson used it to great effect in the Olympia, add a new dimension to the show

Fascinating. Is there any info on this to be found online?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Wooderson wrote: »
    Mushy wrote: »

Fascinating. Is there any info on this to be found online?

I can't find much on it right now, but basically it's a nesh-like net that has an image projected onto it.

https://www.reflectionsofdarkness.com/artists-p-t-concertreviews-156/18100-live-review-steven-wilson-essen-2018

Has a pic or two of Steven Wilson gig there. As I say, its really just a projector onto a certain type of net, that's all the detail I know right now. It is class though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

pretty sure the 2Pac hologram at Coachella was the same thing, so probably a few articles on that.

Flying Lotus used something similar a few years ago here at Forbidden Fruit, flat "screen" in front of him for visuals, think there might have also been a screen behind him to give more of a 3D look to it:

he has replaced it with a multi-mesh "cube" for visuals since then, so that there's less need to be looking directly at it:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭Zardoz

ozzy jr wrote: »
    €60-70 for an hour watching a hologram :D

Seriously, why would anyone pay that?

I'd imagine they thought they would be getting a 2 hour show at the minimum.
    An hour,seriously ,that's an absolute disgrace .
    Its not like the hologram would get tired or his voice would be worn out.

Zardoz wrote: »
    I'd imagine they thought they would be getting a 2 hour show at the minimum.
    An hour,seriously ,that's an absolute disgrace .
    Its not like the hologram would get tired or his voice would be worn out.

It was an hour and 20 mins, plus a support act from 8 to 8.30. I reckon the set list was about 17 songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,023 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I was there myself and it was about one hour maximum. No way was it anymore than that as it started at about 8.55 and finished at around 9.50/9.55.

The warm up act I think jarred the crowd as nobody was expecting it and whilst he was a good singer, it just seemed to be a time killer more than anything.

It was 16 songs as released on his latest album.

The gig itself was brilliant and a great spectacle but it did have that freaky feeling. The hologram was brilliant, you could even see fingers on the right chords and his trousers ruffling with each movement, it was excellent. I Drove All Night and Pretty Woman got the biggest reception.

A small portion of the crowd were very annoying. Clearly told not to take pictures or videos and a small bunch kept trying which resulted in staff rushing over to them and it was quite distracting.

The gig was broken up by two five minute interludes which padded the time with firstly some video interviews with Bono, Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne and others clearly from ten plus years ago. It was a bit odd. A second interlude had the orchestra playing some Big O tunes while photos and clips played behind with no audio.

All in all great but I'm delighted I won my tickets in a radio competition, the cost of tickets was way too high given there was about 50 minutes of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I timed it at about 56 minutes, it was interesting to see and something different, but glad I got the tickets for free.

Advertisement