Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colonoscopy prep

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Gaeilgeoir

Just started my second batch and still waiting. Gave up at 10pm and went to bed, didn't have to get up once! I'm wondering if my high fibre diet has something to do with this, am I either so regular that there's no backlog or else it's too big a task for MoviePrep? :P

Gaeilgeoir wrote: »
    Just started my second batch and still waiting. Gave up at 10pm and went to bed, didn't have to get up once! I'm wondering if my high fibre diet has something to do with this, am I either so regular that there's no backlog or else it's too big a task for MoviePrep? :P

2nd batch should get things moving !
    I was hours waiting too and worrying about if it didn’t work. 2nd batch did.

Good luck with test :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,083 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gaeilgeoir wrote:
    Just started my second batch and still waiting. Gave up at 10pm and went to bed, didn't have to get up once! I'm wondering if my high fibre diet has something to do with this, am I either so regular that there's no backlog or else it's too big a task for MoviePrep?

Oh be prepared, it ll work alright, be very very close to the toilet for the day. Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

I had moviprep this year for the first time having been prescribed kleen prep always in the past. I found the kleen prep very difficult because of the taste and I find it very hard to keep that much liquid down. I ended up vomiting halfway through the kleen prep. I was given moviprep this time and told it was much better than kleen prep. I thought it tasted just as bad and I still vomited it all up. It always ends up taking like 6+ hours to work for me too.

My instructions told me I was allowed all clear liquids up until I started the prep at 6pm including clear broth. I didn't have anything though as I wasn't sure what was allowed and what wasn't. I was told I was allowed tea and coffee with no milk until 6pm and any clear liquids. Again I had nothing because I always get worried since it takes so long to start working for me. I've never mixed the prep with anything because I wasn't sure if we were allowed. I've started drinking a lime squash normally, maybe next time I might try mix it with that is its pretty strong and clear.

My instructions told me I was allowed all clear liquids up until I started the prep at 6pm including clear broth. I didn't have anything though as I wasn't sure what was allowed and what wasn't. I was told I was allowed tea and coffee with no milk until 6pm and any clear liquids. Again I had nothing because I always get worried since it takes so long to start working for me. I've never mixed the prep with anything because I wasn't sure if we were allowed. I've started drinking a lime squash normally, maybe next time I might try mix it with that is its pretty strong and clear.

I was given very clear instructions for klean prep last time, generally mixing it with a suitable diluted drink, and I generally can only get through about 3 litres of the stuff, when my body says enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

If you were eating high fibre the few days before the prep, you may have issues.
    If it doesn't work on the second batch, they may be able to give you an enema, but make sure you tell them it didn't work properly. The second batch SHOULD hopefully kick in soon though and when it does, stay next to the loo.

I feel lucky now tbh. I started my prep at 4pm, second batch at 7pm, was in bed fast asleep by 10pm, all cleared out!

Procedure itself was grand too, opted for no sedation or anything so just had some buscopan and was out shopping after the procedure :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I was given very clear instructions for klean prep last time, generally mixing it with a suitable diluted drink, and I generally can only get through about 3 litres of the stuff, when my body says enough

Maybe I should do the same next time instead of forcing it down and making myself sick.

Maybe I should do the same next time instead of forcing it down and making myself sick.

Just get good advice before trying anything, I've only had two procedures done, so I'm very open to suggestions as well, as this will be a regular occurrence for me. I try not force it down, but after about 3 litres, my body starts rejecting it. I've had no problems thus far by doing this, but everyone is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Ring the clinic and tell them that as you might need an enema .

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Ring the clinic and tell them that as you might need an enema .

I'm very reluctant to ring them in case they just cancel it! Surely they'd have the enemas knocking around anyway without advance notice?

Still nothing happening by the way. I've gone to the loo of my own accord a few times, to see if the sight of the toilet bowl inspired anything, nothing out of the ordinary though :P

They'd be more inclined to do the enema than cancel. You really should ring them because while they may have equipment for an enema there, they won't have allocated medical professionals for it unless they know in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭crossman47

It's not that bad. It's lemon flavoured salt mixed with sandy dioralyte stuff. Wash it down with lots of water.

I agree with that. I didn't find it at all unpleasant.

Not wanting to get graphic but what exactly should I be expecting? I've been to the loo 3 or 4 times since I started the first prep at 5pm yesterday. I never felt a need to go, I just went to see if anything would happen :P I had bowel movements (number 1&2!) each time but nothing spectacular. So I dunno, maybe I'm ok?

Not wanting to get graphic but what exactly should I be expecting? I've been to the loo 3 or 4 times since I started the first prep at 5pm yesterday. I never felt a need to go, I just went to see if anything would happen :P I had bowel movements (number 1&2!) each time but nothing spectacular. So I dunno, maybe I'm ok?

For it to have worked, you'd need to spend a few hours stuck on the toilet essentially urinating from your backside.

If all that's coming out is clear liquid, you're prepped.

deluge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

When you are pissing out of your arse you are nearly there...

I don't think I'm ever going to get there then

I dont think I'm ever going to get there then

You really need to drink lots of water too , along with the prep , that could be why it’s taking ages?

I drank plenty of water, according to instructions I wouldn't be allowed have anything at this point though, so that ship has sailed. I rang them and they said they'll probably have to do an enema when I go in

I drank plenty of water, according to instructions I wouldn't be allowed have anything at this point though, so that ship has sailed. I rang them and they said they'll probably have to do an enema when I go in

Let them worry about it now so and you just turn up ! Good luck !

• Advertisement

I'm just so mad that I had to drink that vile stuff and it did nothing :P

Colonoscopy failed completely, despite the enemas. So I paid €75 for sod all other than wasting two days of my life and having to drink that manky stuff, all for nothing. So pissed off right now. And they want me to come back in a few weeks and do it again, with addition of Senokot tablets but still with that bloody MoviePrep. Fat chance my insurance will cover a repeat so feck that anyway

Gaeilgeoir wrote:
    Colonoscopy failed completely, despite the enemas. So I paid €75 for sod all other than wasting two days of my life and having to drink that manky stuff, all for nothing. So pissed off right now. And they want me to come back in a few weeks and do it again, with addition of Senokot tablets but still with that bloody MoviePrep. Fat chance my insurance will cover a repeat so feck that anyway

I woke up during my first one, not a nice experience, but klean prep did work for me, both times. With history of bowel cancer in my family, I've no choice but to endure it every few years, with likely increase of frequency as I age. I'd imagine you ve been recommended to get it done for good reason, so maybe sleep on it, then decide, it's not a nice experience but....

Thats a shame and of course you are pissed off . But you must have had a reason to get the test done so keep that in mind . Tomorrow is a new day so sleep on it then head up and on you go

Cheers. I'll ring on Monday morning and make an appointment for the second attempt. This time I'm to take Senokot as well for three nights before doing the MoviePrep on the fourth day, so not looking forward to drinking that stuff again. I guess next time I'd better try the low fibre diet for the whole week, tricky as that will be

Ok, so I'm going for my second attempt this Friday and in an effort to ensure it works this time, I started a low fibre-diet yesterday. This will mainly consist of white bread and eggs! For dinner the plan is fish/chicken with sweet potato and mashed carrots. Does anyone know if cous cous is ok? I thought it was and proceeded to eat a load of it for lunch today, now I'm worried again :P There seem to be so few foods you can eat on a low-fibre diet.

Cous cous has about half the fibre of brown rice, so I'd probably avoid it.

For a week before my prep, I lived off of white toast, chicken, chips, and eggs. After a few days, it kinda hurt my stomach cause I'm used to a high fibre diet too, but it was fine and my prep was very very easy. I also fasted for 24 hours before the prep

White bread .
    White rice
    White pasta
    Canned veg
    Clear fruit juice with no pulp
    White chicken
    White fish
    And veg if you over cook it has less fibre than fresh

Thank you both, I'll lay off the cous cous so :) Will stick with white bread and marmalade for breakfast, chicken for lunch and fish/chicken with cooked veg or toasted egg sandwiches for dinner. I'm using my mum's diabetic marmalade, it has sorbitol in it, which supposedly helps keep you regular ;)

I miss my muesli so much already! I eat a ton of fibre and this week I can't eat any of my usual foods or snacks, so it's pretty tough e.g. my usual diet is sesame seed rye bread with peanut butter for breakfast, dried apricots for morning snack, porridge with almonds and seeds for lunch. We always have brown rice and pasta and all my snacks have fibre too e.g. Nature Valley bars, popcorn, muesli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

That's basically my prescribed diet, low residue. I miss the brown bread and fruit.

Drink loads of water. Hot water with lemon is great to erm keep things moving.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

La.de.da wrote: »
    That's basically my prescribed diet, low residue. I miss the brown bread and fruit.

Drink loads of water. Hot water with lemon is great to erm keep things moving.

Good luck!

Thanks :) I know I shouldn't be complaining when it's only for 5 days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Gael...

I will be getting another one soon (not looking forward to it but needs must) my first one I found the prep was easier because I was told to fast for two days prior to the procedure - (liquids only - clear soups, boiled sweets allowed) and then had to take picolax which was only a couple of tumblers of it - maybe you can ask about this prep - sounds harder than it is - and I was famished after the procedure -

Pretzill wrote: »
    Gael...

I will be getting another one soon (not looking forward to it but needs must) my first one I found the prep was easier because I was told to fast for two days prior to the procedure - (liquids only - clear soups, boiled sweets allowed) and then had to take picolax which was only a couple of tumblers of it - maybe you can ask about this prep - sounds harder than it is - and I was famished after the procedure -

Unfortunately it seems I'm stuck with MoviePrep. Despite it having no effect, they insist it's the best one and the only one they use. I'm to take Senokot this time as well, so we'll see if that does anything. I do generally have a very high fibre diet, so hopefully laying off it will help too ;)

Best of luck with yours!

As if the stress of worrying it won't work again wasn't bad enough, now I'm not sure if I can get it done tomorrow at all as it's not clear my insurance will cover a 'repeat procedure'. Waiting on a call back from the consultant's billing people :(

As if the stress of worrying it won't work again wasn't bad enough, now I'm not sure if I can get it done tomorrow at all as it's not clear my insurance will cover a 'repeat procedure'. Waiting on a call back from the consultant's billing people :(

But its not a repeat proceedure is it ? The first one didn't work so wasn't completed ?

But its not a repeat proceedure is it ? The first one didn't work so wasn't completed ?

That's what you'd think but it seems the Hermitage submitted the claim as a full colonoscopy and that Irish Life consider all procedure codes relating to a colonoscopy as being 'the same' procedure anyway! So I'm sitting here not knowing what to do, waiting for word from somebody who might be able to tell me. I'm due to start my prep at 5pm and I'm feckin stressed out

That's what you'd think but it seems the Hermitage submitted the claim as a full colonoscopy and that Irish Life consider all procedure codes relating to a colonoscopy as being 'the same' procedure anyway! So I'm sitting here not knowing what to do, waiting for word from somebody who might be able to tell me. I'm due to start my prep at 5pm and I'm feckin stressed out

Oh that's so annoying . Start it anyway then at worst you are cleared out for no good reason and thats not the end of the world . Don't stress just take it as it is for now

Oh that's so annoying . Start it anyway then at worst you are cleared out for no good reason and thats not the end of the world . Don't stress just take it as it is for now

The thought of having to drink that manky stuff and lose two days of work for nothing is infuriating :( I was just talking to them again and they were saying it could be recorded as a failed colonoscopy. Even then I don't know if the insurance would cover the repeat and I'm scared to ask as then it will be on record and I'll be out of options

The thought of having to drink that manky stuff and lose two days of work for nothing is infuriating :( I was just talking to them again and they were saying it could be recorded as a failed colonoscopy. Even then I don't know if the insurance would cover the repeat and I'm scared to ask as then it will be on record and I'll be out of options

Oh i know , its very annoying . Ask to speak to a supervisor in Irish Life maybe

• Advertisement

Oh i know , its very annoying . Ask to speak to a supervisor in Irish Life maybe

Just talked to Irish Life and I'll have to meet the clinical criteria for a repeat, so hopefully the doctor can sort it out tomorrow. I guess I'll just go ahead with the prep and hope for the best. This wouldn't have been a problem if he had just recorded it right in the first place but it seems he put down the wrong procedure code :(

Complete failure again! Next stop - CT Colonoscopy.

Was tempted to remind the consultant of what they say about people who do the same thing and expect different results. At least he didn't recommend a third attempt I suppose!

Complete failure again! Next stop - CT Colonoscopy.

Was tempted to remind the consultant of what they say about people who do the same thing and expect different results. At least he didn't recommend a third attempt I suppose!

So Moviprep and Sennokot together didn’t clear you out ? Maybe you’re predisposed to lazy bowel , poor muscle tone in bowel or poor reflexes ...... good luck with CT anyway ! Better to get it done .

So Moviprep and Sennokot together didn’t clear you out ? Maybe you’re predisposed to lazy bowel , poor muscle tone in bowel or poor reflexes ...... good luck with CT anyway ! Better to get it done .

The doctor mentioned lazy bowel but surely such a person would suffer from constipation, which I have never experienced in my life. Due to my high fibre diet, I tend to be extremely regular :P

Have to say the CT Colonography prep is vastly more pleasant than the colonoscopy prep. The picolax is grand and the gastrografin has merely a hint of liquorice. It's a huge relief after the torture of drinking that MoviePrep the second time, knowing full well it would have no bloody effect. The question is, though, will the picolax do anything? Time will tell I guess, coming up on three hours after the first sachet now...

Advertisement