Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cultural appropriation outrage.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I don't see what's Wong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I was thinking of picking up a 3 in 1 but it might be insensitive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jeremy is a traditional Chinese name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Let me dust off my rolodex....

Ah yes, here it is...

82dk.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I saw a Chinese person wearing western style clothes today. And I didn't even get angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

We have even worse appropriation here in Ireland.
    There is a new beer called Rockshore that is made in Dublin, but marketing devils are using west of Ireland imagery to promote it and they're saying it is inspired by the west.
    Yet again that shower above in Dublin rips off our western heritage and culture to line their own fat pockets and further our decline.
    This appropriation/theft must somehow be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tossers showcasing themselves in the latest cultural appropriation/woke row over on twitter. Some young one wore a "dress" to her prom.
    Cue outrage...

https://twitter.com/jere_bare/status/989981023076208640?s=19

I wonder if Jeremy actually tweeted that wearing his Adidas baseball cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

Some people have way too much time on their hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

I wonder if Jeremy actually tweeted that wearing his Adidas baseball cap?

It's only cultural appropriation if he wears it backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It’ll be racist to order a Chinese next..

Seriously where does this **** end

It’s getting a bit ****in scary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭com1

We have even worse appropriation here in Ireland.
    There is a new beer called Rockshore that is made in Dublin, but marketing devils are using west of Ireland imagery to promote it and they're saying it is inspired by the west.
    Yet again that shower above in Dublin rips off our western heritage and culture to line their own fat pockets and further our decline.
    This appropriation/theft must somehow be stopped.

Yeah dont worry we'll be robbing your water soon too, though it will also be used to make rockshore so maybe the heritage ripoff is appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

It’s sad that’s what this is all about a dress!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

And inevitably, someone has gone through some his old tweets to reveal multiple uses of the word "nigga"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Swanner wrote: »
    It’ll be racist to order a Chinese next..

I doubt that anyone ordering from their local Chinese takeaway will ever be accused of appropriating Chinese culture, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I think cultural appropriation is disgraceful.

As a people we endured oppression from the British Empire for hundreds of years, and survived famines, chunky knitwear was at times most likely all that stood between us and death. My great great great great great grand daddy died on a coffin ship. Not because he starved, or had scurvy, but because he left his aran jumper at home and yet would ya look at these fools..........

Katie+Holmes+Heads+Broadway+Show+9ZNOUiOABnVl.jpg

sharon-stone-pic.jpg?sfvrsn=0

gwyneth%20katie%2020dec11%2004.jpg

Cultural appropriators!!!! :mad:

These days, you can get arrested just for being a man, because having a jap's eye is cultural appropriation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It’s hard to keep track of everything that supposed to be offensive these days.

But seriously, surely ever since cultures started mixing, little style things have been borrowed from other cultures. You notice a style of skirt or type of hairstyle and think it looks cute or whatever. Isn’t it kinda weird and unrealistic to expect clear delineations between cultures?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Riley Reid is young enough to be going to prom?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Jeremy's raging that she wore it better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Cultural appropriation in this sense is a pile of dogsh*t. Culture isn't land or resources; wearing a dress or listening to music etc is not denying those things to its creators. It isn't like colonialism or imperialism or slavery which was the acquisition of stolen wealth and which limited or curtailed the freedom of others.

Also a couple of points:
    1) People who yap about this sh*t are a tiny minority in real life, honestly when did anyone in this thread last come across these sort of headers? They don't matter.
    2) This isn't America, I wish we weren't constantly discussing identity politics and culture wars on this board.

• Advertisement

I doubt that anyone ordering from their local Chinese takeaway will ever be accused of appropriating Chinese culture, tbh.

Why not though. Where are the lines here ? I honestly don’t get the difference between wearing clothes from, and eating food from another culture.

I genuinely have no idea why one is offensive and the other isn’t. Am I missing something obvious ?

Why not though. Where are the lines here ? I honestly don’t get the difference between wearing clothes from, and eating food from another culture.

I genuinely have no idea why one is offensive and the other isn’t. Am I missing something obvious ?

It was a reference to what passes for 'Chinese food' in takeaways not being very Chinese at all.

It was a reference to what passes for 'Chinese food' in takeaways not being very Chinese at all.

Apologies for making you explain that :D

Not on the ball tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

We are getting outraged over a guy whose location is “eating ass”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The level of racism in some of his tweets and comments on them is madness. The amount of stupidity in this one is particularily depressing: "you obviously have no idea how sacred Qi Pao is to chinese culture. Why can’t y’all white people stick to basic ass prom dresses I’m tired of y’all"

Basically they're saying only person of a certain skin colour / race should be allowed to wear a certain type of dress. How can this not be legally considered racism?

And the sad irony in this is that in many cases it comes from American Chinese who probably know very little about what they are talking about and would be considered ignorant about Chinese culture if they were to go to China and talk with actual Chinese people (and people from China would probably be happy and amused about a Western woman wearing a Qipao).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

In my experience this is always an X-American thing, i.e. Chinese-Americans might complain, but people from China don't care (just as we don't care when they wear western clothes). However, as somebody mentioned above, how much of this is really going on in Ireland? I don't think I've ever encountered this in real life, outside of some young people in college, who still don't do it as much as Americans and practically stop on leaving college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like his Asian sweatshop made Adidas cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Utter bolix, absolutely nowt wrong with taking an item from another culture and celebrating it, or making it your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

SSr0 wrote: »
    Some people have way too much time on their hands.

...and not enough grey matter in their heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The dress is fine.

You'd swear she had 'yellowed up' and wore a lampshade on her head with the level of outrage.

The dress is fine.

You'd swear she had 'yellowed up' and wore a lampshade on her head with the level of outrage.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Yes, the obvious thing is that this cultural misappropriation nonsense is complete and utter horsesh1t. The history of mankind is a history of sharing, learning, borrowing everything from technologies to food and cuisine, medicines and clothing and hairstyles. It's how we learn from each other and progress.

The idiots who want to turn this concept on its head and weaponise it to use as a stick to beat people with are just malignant half-wits who are best ignored, in much the same way as you'd ignore the provocative slurrings of a drunk...and for similar reasons.

More nonsense from the idiot left. Hopefully PJW or Dave Cullen will destroy these idiots on their next video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Fourier wrote: »
    In my experience this is always an X-American thing, i.e. Chinese-Americans might complain, but people from China don't care (just as we don't care when they wear western clothes). However, as somebody mentioned above, how much of this is really going on in Ireland? I don't think I've ever encountered this in real life, outside of some young people in college, who still don't do it as much as Americans and practically stop on leaving college.

It's usually something done by teens and people in their 20s, in my opinion. Times are changing though. I would have gotten bullied for bringing in my lunch because it was 'different' but now it's trendy or whatever. I don't really care. I tend to stick to certain groups anyway.

• Advertisement

storker wrote: »
    Yes, the obvious thing is that this cultural misappropriation nonsense is complete and utter horsesh1t. The history of mankind is a history of sharing, learning, borrowing everything from technologies to food and cuisine, medicines and clothing and hairstyles. It's how we learn from each other and progress.

The idiots who want to turn this concept on its head and weaponise it to use as a stick to beat people with are just malignant half-wits who are best ignored, in much the same way as you'd ignore the provocative slurrings of a drunk...and for similar reasons.

Trouble is they are hard to ignore when they are becoming leaders of countries like this King Prawn Clown

JustinTrudeau.jpg

The dress is fine.

Glorious gif form

oS0CEjD.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I wore one of these to my debs back in y2k.

But look how much he's grown. He apologised to a black girl for calling her a nigger.

449591.PNG

And now he's making the world a better place by searching Twitter for girls wearing Chinese dresses and retweeting them. He probably gives himself a good tug over the pictures first but a hero like this deserves some kind of reward for devoting his time to such a worthy cause.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Have an oul gander at him in all his "glory".

ymBTWObv_400x400.jpg

Other than him there isn't a single effing thing in that pic that's culturally Chinese, and from what I can gather he's American, and using the English language(well when I say using...). The thunderous twat. He has a very punchable face, though it also looks like someone got there ahead of me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

His profile picture is evidence that he's having a good old tug at these pictures before retweeting them. Look at those hands.

Indeed Wibbs.

No way anyone would give that Dong an El Camino.

He’s beyond redemption.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

FTA69 wrote: »
    2) This isn't America, I wish we weren't constantly discussing identity politics and culture wars on this board.

I wish some Americans would come on here and tell us to stop appropriating their cultural appropriation culture.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Just look at this happy Chinese couple enjoying their day out racist culturally appropriating bastards! >-<

wedding02.jpg

Or this apparently friendly waving leader of the Chinese nation,

?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-myy7cYWl9Po%2FUUUy8glGxsI%2FAAAAAAAACOI%2FqLOjvWqGa-k%2Fs1600%2FXi-Jinping-China-leader1-15112012-jpg_144431.jpg&f=1

the western suit and tie appropriating cunt. I say we riot and break out the opium and gunships. There may be feasting on goo.

Yet another reason I don't do Twatter. I'd be banned within 12 hours.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Wibbs wrote: »
    Just look at this happy Chinese couple enjoying their day out racist culturally appropriating bastards! >-<

wedding02.jpg

Or this apparently friendly waving leader of the Chinese nation,

?u=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-myy7cYWl9Po%2FUUUy8glGxsI%2FAAAAAAAACOI%2FqLOjvWqGa-k%2Fs1600%2FXi-Jinping-China-leader1-15112012-jpg_144431.jpg&f=1

the western suit and tie appropriating cunt. I say we riot and break out the opium and gunships. There may be feasting on goo.

Yet another reason I don't do Twatter. I'd be banned within 12 hours.
    I’ve been banned from Twitter for a week for saying “ while I would use whatever pronoun they want and I truly wish transgender people happiness I find it difficult to ignore biology.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Another muppet on Twitter just Peking for a fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Defunkd

Well, he's getting his 5mins of fame; getting frontpage on imgur or reddit and will be a hashtag handle on twitter until the next righteous cause comes along. In a few days/weeks, this coolie will slide back to obscurity and good-riddance. I'd understand his outrage if she was mocking chinks by wearing the dress but she wasn't. She looks quite tasty.

Seriously, the poor girl. Calling someone racist is a very strong accusation.

I wore one of these to my debs back in y2k.

YES! Didn’t own one myself but they were the fash in the late ‘90s. And lots of girls I know who are the farthest thing from racist wore them.

Defunkd wrote: »
    I'd understand his outrage if she was mocking chinks

Christ.

• Advertisement
Advertisement