Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cultural appropriation outrage.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

J. Marston wrote: »
    I like that she says she's leaving the post up. A lot of people would feel forced to remove it and beg for forgiveness for doing nothing wrong.

What's worse/more confusing is the guy got 180,000 likes for his post.
    It's not that much really. America has a population of nearly 330 million and world wide there's over 7.5 billion, so it's only the tiny few that jumped on the bandwagon. What I'm confused about is how this tweet has garnered so much attention? Thankfully most people don't agree with him and like others have said, fair play to her for not taking it down and issuing some bs apology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I hope the 40k retweets are along the lines "check out this dickhead wokesplaining cultural appropriation..."

The 170k likes suggests there are a lot of absolute bileous fcukers out there. At the end of the day, theres a young girl wearing a dress she likes to her first ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's like white privilege, those on about it are nearly always white and incredibly privileged.

Jeremy is just another spoilt little lord that have come to dominate the Left in so many places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

J. Marston wrote: »
    I like that she says she's leaving the post up. A lot of people would feel forced to remove it and beg for forgiveness for doing nothing wrong.

What's worse/more confusing is the guy got 180,000 likes for his post.

I know, I am so impressed that she hasn’t been cowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I know, I am so impressed that she hasn’t been cowed.

If she was any kind of public figure (actress, journalist, politician, etc) she would have done so already as it could influence her career. Sadly only a "random" person can resist that kind of pressure.

(to be clear, I do get it also takes courage and determination for her to keep it online as she is being subjected to a lot of unjustified abuse, I just meant to point out that sadly we live in a world where a few hundred thousands determined haters can force a public figure to go their way even though it is completely unjustified).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This is why I will never create a Twitter account, due to the sheer number of fùcknuggets who use it.

This is why I will never create a Twitter account, due to the sheer number of fùcknuggets who use it.
    I don't have a twitter account but I still can't escape the nonsense that goes on there. It's like journalists spend their days looking for a tweet they can make a nonsense story out of and it gains traction until everyone knows about it. I'll be glad when everyone reaches outrage fatigue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wow, I was expecting something genuinely offensive. What a pathetic man. Stunning dress. I wore a short blue Chinese dress to one of my debs, it cost about €10 and nobody bitched about it. Simpler times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The girl in question missed a trick - she should have replied to the guy "I would appreciate it if you didn't take Our Lord's name in vain. It's offensive to me"

You know, fight nonsense with nonsense as the old cliche goes :)

• Site Banned Posts: 218 ✭✭A Pint of Goo

Bit offensive how the Asian man is wearing traditional white head gear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm shocked that someone who believes that cultures shouldn't mix would also be a racist. I mean, that's unheard of.

Wow, I was expecting something genuinely offensive. What a pathetic man.

Btw do we know if he has any kind of connection with the girl, or was he just browsing twitter randomly looking for someone to have a go at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

seamus wrote: »
    I'm shocked that someone who believes that cultures shouldn't mix would also be a racist. I mean, that's unheard of.

But that's just what this is, its not outrage because of 'cultural appropration' what he's saying essentially is

'you can't wear this dress because you are white'

Or another example ' you can't have that hair because you are white'

Imagine what would happen if anyone turned around and said you can't wear that kilt/double breasted suit or whatever because you are black/Asian....

It's odd times we live in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Has got on the Beeb’s radar. Will be interesting to see the reaction. I honestly think a lot of people are beginning to experience outrage fatigue.

C98_D17_F0-_C789-4_C6_E-_A0_B7-_ABF8760_C691_D.jpg

I just think the fact that the bbc think it worthy of reporting is just as sad.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just think the fact that the bbc think it worthy of reporting is just as sad.

Yes and no.

Yes it is sad as in it should be obvious the guy is full of himself and there is nothing to discusss.

But no it isn’t because this stuff is becoming widespread and need to be brought to the eyes of the public so that people know what’s going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

We have even worse appropriation here in Ireland.
    There is a new beer called Rockshore that is made in Dublin, but marketing devils are using west of Ireland imagery to promote it and they're saying it is inspired by the west.
    Yet again that shower above in Dublin rips off our western heritage and culture to line their own fat pockets and further our decline.
    This appropriation/theft must somehow be stopped.

Are they using Shannon Water yet?
    That's where they get the inspiration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I suppose it would be offensive to his culture to give the fuckin' eejit a flake of a tonfa as well? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I hope that the chinese mens suit style makes an impact over here. they look way better than the suit and tie we all wear.
    She looks stunning in that dress. Guy is just a hater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

My favourite one of these was a black girl going apesh*t at some white guy in a college over dreadlocks. The same dreadlocks Spartans were wearing thousands of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Y'know what, I can get over the guy being offended. He's a total hypocrite, but he can be offended if he wants.

What really, really, really is pissing me off is the amount of abuse intentionally thrown at an 18 year old girl who just wore a dress. It's astoundingly pathetic and who knows how she's going to handle all this.

Same here. It's just bullying but the bully has found a way to justify it and has managed to get other people on board with the bullying.

This guy knows he can't just come out and start abusing her on Twitter so a better angle is to accuse her of something (basically Racism in this case) and then loudly shout the accusation hoping that others will join in, which they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

IndiansPhotoLogo.jpg

Shiny chavtastic tracksuits with smallpox. Hmmm.

You got me thinking lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

taserfrank wrote: »
    The girl who wore the dress was wrong to defend herself to that nutjob. She should have just said she bought the dress from Fook Yue.

In fairness Chinese people may be offended. Personally I find it offensive that dentists give 2.30 appointments when they could have Chinese clients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

In fairness Chinese people may be offended. Personally I find it offensive that dentists give 2.30 appointments when they could have Chinese clients.

You're a Spike Milligan fan. We (old farts) get it. :D

Billy86 wrote: »
    My favourite one of these was a black girl going apesh*t at some white guy in a college over dreadlocks. The same dreadlocks Spartans were wearing thousands of years ago.

And were in Ireland, glíbins.

Unless she herself was from a very small part of Africa or Jamaica then dreads ate not her thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Tossers showcasing themselves in the latest cultural appropriation/woke row over on twitter. Some young one wore a "dress" to her prom.
    Cue outrage...

https://twitter.com/jere_bare/status/989981023076208640?s=19

I had no idea Street Fighter II was a culture, tbh.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Btw do we know if he has any kind of connection with the girl, or was he just browser twitter randomly looking for someone to have a go at?

I wondered that too. If he did go looking for a total stranger to attack, that’s really fucking pathetic.

Whilst many liked his tweet, I’m heartened to see the support the girl has been receiving.

Hilarious to see people highlighting the actually racist tweets he has posted. :D He addressed them by saying that he was young and stupid and that he has changed. Two things:

1) some of those racist tweets are only three or four months old

2) he had no problem attacking a young person himself so even if his suspect tweets HAD been quite old, that would still be no defence.

Danzy wrote: »
    And were in Ireland, glíbins.

Unless she herself was from a very small part of Africa or Jamaica then dreads ate not her thing

dreadlocks are by no means exclusive to african american or jamaican culture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks

seems a case of cultural appropriation might be made :D

wexie wrote: »
    dreadlocks are by no means exclusive to african american or jamaican culture

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreadlocks

seems a case of cultural appropriation might be made :D

And just highlights that cultures have probably borrowed things from each other for thousands of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I don't see what's Wong
    I assume it's because they're used to stealing everyone elses ideas, and now thing it's Sum Tin Wong that someone has stolen their ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

If were Chinese I'd be flattered that westerners are interested in Chinese culture and fashion.

• Advertisement

here's another example of outrageous cultural appropriation

Lets just hope that Erdogan doesn't go to war over this, would seriously hurt Ikea share prices

As the Left moves further and further away from its Working Class base and takes positions that are of no relevance to bread and butter issues but instead are part of the safe outrage topics like this, as it becomes increasingly a lifestyle movement for the well to do activists it will lose most of its political support.

It is already happening in much of Europe.

The same righteous hectoring did for the Catholic Church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ah komono, leave it out!

So I was curious and asked a Chinese person I am close to about this ...

She was aware of it and the story has made it to Chinese social media, and she told me a few interesting things:
    - firstly there is nothing sacred about Qipaos and they are considered a fairly neutral outfit (there is no spiritual or historical meaning to them and people claiming there is one on Twitter are being mocked by the Chinese)
    - secondly in her opinion there is nothing wrong about wearing one in that occasion and she is absolutely not precious about a white American woman wearing it
    - thirdly online comments from Chinese people are rather amused by this; they see it as an foreign problem and don't feel they are involved in this as Chinese

Bob24 wrote: »
    So I was curious and asked a Chinese person I am close to about this ...

She was aware of it and the story has made it to Chinese social media, and she told me a few interesting things:
    - firstly there is nothing sacred about Qipaos and they are considered a fairly neutral outfit (there is no spiritual or historical meaning to them and people claiming there is one on Twitter are being mocked by the Chinese)
    - secondly in her opinion there is nothing wrong about wearing one in that occasion and is absolutely not precious about a white American woman wearing it
    - thirdly online comments from Chinese people are rather amused by this; they see it as an foreign problem and don't feel they are involved in this as Chinese

White Left or baizu has become a term of insult in China.

It is used for any person, regardless of race, who is rich and righteous and preaches on safe topics rather than pressing economic ones. Ie much of the modern Left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What we need is a graph showing the area where too much diversity creates appropriation.

Although there are instances when I can see people getting pissed of about items from their culture being used in different ways than the origin that results in the original idea being lost.
    Take Saint Patricks Day for example, green beer, stupid hats and f***ing leprechauns. I wouldn't call this cultural appropriation but bloody hell it can be annoying.

Ipso wrote: »
    Take Saint Patricks Day for example, green beer, stupid hats and f***ing leprechauns. I wouldn't call this cultural appropriation but bloody hell it can be annoying.

Really? I could not be less bothered by all that if I tried.

Ipso wrote: »
    What we need is a graph showing the area where too much diversity creates appropriation.

Although there are instances when I can see people getting pissed of about items from their culture being used in different ways than the origin that results in the original idea being lost.
    I can live with the green beer and leprechauns, it's "St Patty's Day" that makes me want to go postal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

There are some real issues that come under the current cultural appropriation label. Blackface and yellowface can be a real issue considering cultural context. And sometimes other people's cultures can be co-opted in ways that do come across as disrespectful. But there is a lot of bandwagon jumping and while men do fall foul of it, more and more often it seems to be very young women who are targeted with great bile for actions that clearly weren't meant to cause any offence.

And I do have to say, that when toward the end of October I see articles written about how Halloween is meant to be a fun time to dress up and express yourself, please do so with respect for other people's cultures, I roll my eyes at the utter hypocrisy. Halloween (as we know) is a festival with cultural religious roots that are very far removed from your average American Halloween party. Personally I enjoy the way Halloween has changed but if you are going to lecture people on co-opting your culture then maybe don't do so while blithely co-opting someone else's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Its all just virtue signalling thanks whoring bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    It's like journalists spend their days looking for a tweet they can make a nonsense story out of and it gains traction until everyone knows about it.

There seems to be a generation of so-called journalists who think that chasing down a story means browsing Facebook and Twitter. Have you seen the lazy manner in which they are reported? Screenshots from the Twitter exchange interspersed with text that just repeats whats in the Twitter screenshots. Just in we missed it, I suppose. I'd be amazed if the hack writes even 20% of the non-story's content.

"Tweedledum and Tweedledee are it it on Twitter"

Tweedledum and Tweedledee took their feud to Twitter today when Tweedledum accused Tweedledee of breaking his nice new rattle. "Hey Tdee, thanks for breaking my nice new rattle," he tweeted.

*****************SCREENSHOT*******************

@TDUM: Hey Tdee, thanks for breaking my nice new rattle #waaah

Tweedledee however denied the charge, tweeting. "Nothing to do with me mate."

@TDee: Nothing to do with me mate. #waah

Tweedledee added, "It wasn't such a nice rattle anyway."

@TDee: It wasn't such a nice rattle anyway. #haha

Check in again soon for the big stories as they arrive...

...etc. Rinse repeat and await Pulitzer prize.

Advertisement