Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taylor, Jacobs, Miller, Skeete,Dogboe 28th April

• 29-04-2018 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭

No thread for Katie last night....

She’s part unified champ now...

Just don’t feel anything. These opponents are, I don’t know....muck..

Same repetitive fight pattern. Some good periods of action from Katie. Good tough inside work..showed a good chin...good work-rate...stamina...

One of Katie’s best performances even if it didn’t overly wow..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

walshb wrote: »

Same repetitive fight pattern. Some good periods of action from Katie. Good tough inside work..showed a good chin...good work-rate...stamina...

Her opponent never had KO in her whole career. I’d suggest she didn’t need to have much of a chin.

She was more of a bookies favourite that your standard up and coming star against a journeyman. That says it all really. No depth of quality in the Women’s pro game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

walshb wrote: »

Fair dues to Katie. A fine achievement regardless of opponents.
    I think Katie has not really developed a pro style since turning over. I'm not convinced by Ross Enamait being her boxing Coach either. Something doesn't seem right about the direction he's taking her in terms of pro boxing.

I fear she will be found wanting when up against Chantelle Cameron or other high level amateurs who've made the turn to pro.

It would be great if they made the rounds 3 minutes. Much more likely to see stoppages if they did that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Fair dues to Katie. A fine achievement regardless of opponents.
    I think Katie has not really developed a pro style since turning over. I'm not convinced by Ross Enamait being her boxing Coach either. Something doesn't seem right about the direction he's taking her in terms of pro boxing.

I fear she will be found wanting when up against Chantelle Cameron or other high level amateurs who've made the turn to pro.

It would be great if they made the rounds 3 minutes. Much more likely to see stoppages if they did that.

100% agreed.

I didn't see last night's fight yet, but overall I feel Katie's skills have regressed quite considerably since she turned pro, though to be fair I thought the last year or two of her amateur career were showing signs of decline also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

megadodge wrote: »
    100% agreed.

I didn't see last night's fight yet, but overall I feel Katie's skills have regressed quite considerably since she turned pro, though to be fair I thought the last year or two of her amateur career were showing signs of decline also.

Just saw her fight there and she actually looked more like her old self in it. Of course the needless 'fighting' it out when Bustos really came at her instead of using her footwork and long-range skills was still very evident. Her heart gets the better of her head in those occasions and if I was a coach of any opponent I'd be of the opinion that you just make a fight out of it from the very start and don't let it get into a 'boxing' match. With Katie's willingness to slug it out, it evens the odds out considerably for a strong physical opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I got the vibe that her digging it out and kind of fighting/slugging it with the opponent near the end was a very deliberate choice. Looked almost like Katie was enjoying the tear up, and the chance to mix it up and showcase her variety. Deliberate because she really felt no real threat from the opponent.

Could she have avoided it and made the last few rds “easier?” Yes. I am glad she didn’t, as it made the viewing more enjoyable for me. It gave me some variety... beats the usual pitter patter, 90 percent of these OTT shots missing and barely landing..

I think it was her most impressive, and for the fans, her most enjoyable pro fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Magdaleno/Dogboe was a great fight, Dogboe looks very useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Magdaleno/Dogboe was a great fight, Dogboe looks very useful.

Just watched it now, indeed he is very impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Hard to disagree with what has been said here. She is still very much an amateur in terms of taking unnecessary head shots and not being able to Mayweather her opponents. Granted it is very early days in the pro ranks after being amateur for most of her life and no doubting she can take a shot but............
    I saw her on Bernard Dunne's undercard on that electric night and to this day Ferdie Pacheco words ring around my head about women boxing. Also the lack of opponents and lack of quality in what is very much a minority sport for women means it is hard to get worked up over her wins. Still though as a fan I was happy for her and having met her and seen how not only how gorgeous she is but genuine it is hard not to begrudge her! She showed her class by giving back the belt to her opponent after.

I wasnt aware that the rounds were only 2 minutes long so the fight felt rushed so much so that they had started the American national anthem as she stepped out of the ring! Then she spent ten minutes being interviewed by the media as HBO set up the live event. But at least when Katie left those awful ole ole chants did too. Lots of cailini there but they were solely there for Katie.

Actually think this was my first heavyweight fight so was looking forward to it but it was a bore to be honest. Led out by cancer fighter Lily Weaver and in a Black Panther mask Miller looked ominous! But his opponent was totally dominated and outclassed and except for a few moments never felt that Miller had the power to do what everyone in the half empty arena wanted him to do. That didnt stop taunting him throughout!

But he was fairly nimble for a guy weighing over 300 pounds although he naturally enough tired over the latter rounds. Then again against a quality heavyweight Miller's defense would be found out quickly. He did show some good combinations and switched to southpaw at one stage to land a vicious blow and his post fight interview was entertaining!

The main event started at 11.20 local time so respect for anybody at home who stayed up! Whether it was the travel, the half empty arena or the boring preceding fight I was struggling at this stage! But the entrance certainly got the crowd going with the dancers and Jacobs in the Wakanda outfit. Add in a healthy noisy Polish contingent and the atmosphere somewhat resembled a major fight.

I really enjoyed the fight and the Pole justified his place here even though his power never troubled Jacobs but very impressed with his work rate and application. Early on he surprised the hometown boy with a fast jab and hard rights somewhat forcing Jacobs to fight. Maybe this was to entertain the fans but it did prove fascinating and engaging. I had it pretty even up until the 12th when Jacobs landed a gorgeous right to all but cement the win but his experience and craft showed.

A good interview where he credited Sulecki and his fans concluded with a shout out to Charlo.

007.jpg

010.jpg

013.jpg

Advertisement