Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dropped my iPhone in water

Options
  • 29-04-2018 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I dropped my iPhone into a sink of water about two hours ago and it still isn't working properly.
    I have taken it out if it's case but cannot open the actual phone to dry the inside. The display is ok but the sound is very low. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix it?
    I know that there are probably phone dedicated pages for this but need advice now and there is likely to be more people in here.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Take the battery out straight away... then stick the phone in rice (dry) and put in a warm place for a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Place it in a bowl of rice overnight.

Not because the Asians will fix it, but because the rice will absorb the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Put in in the microwave on the defrost setting for 10 minutes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Put the phone in a bag of rice, then leave in the hot press. In time, Asians will flock there to fix your phone.

Inb4 the ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Thinly veiled I have an iPhone thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Btw, dont waste anymore time on boards, you need to take the battery out asap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Odhinn

annascott wrote: »
    I dropped my iPhone into a sink of water about two hours ago and it still isn't working properly.
    I have taken it out if it's case but cannot open the actual phone to dry the inside. The display is ok but the sound is very low. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix it?
    I know that there are probably phone dedicated pages for this but need advice now and there is likely to be more people in here.

Let's be honest, it was the jacks, wasn't it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Have you tried rubbing some vinegar on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Why do iPhone owners refuse to just say "phone"? I dropped my phone in water, same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Why do iPhone owners refuse to just say "phone"? I dropped my phone in water, same thing.

Might be a nordy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

They paid a lot of money for that extra i

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Thanks, the rice thing sounds promising.
    I wanted to take the battery out but can not see how to open the phone.
    I said it is an iPhone because I thought others with iPhones might know about opening it, or if it opens at all. (Although I always call my iPad an iPad and not tablet)
    No, it was not the loo. It was a sink of water.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

That happened mé a few years ago so I took the battery out and put it all in a bag of rice. Next day I put it back together and tried switching it on. It just came on when the phone rang, I answered and it was Uncle Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can’t take the battery out of an iPhone like you would on most other phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I said it is an iPhone because I thought others with iPhones might know about opening it, or if it opens at all. (Although I always call my iPad an iPad and not tablet)

If only it wasn't an iPhone you might have been able to just pop the battery out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Put in in the microwave on the defrost setting for 10 minutes.

This. Exact same happened to me last week and looked it up. The frequency from the microwave recalibrates the battery for some mad scienctific reason. Has to be on defrost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Because the inner gubbins of an iphone isn't as immediately accessible as other kinds. So the 'take out the battery' suggestions aren't as easy to do, and alternative suggestions might be welcome?

paulbok wrote: »
    That happened m few years ago so I took the battery out and put it all in a bag of rice. Next day I put it back together and tried switching it on. It just came on when the phone rang, I answered and it was Uncle Ben

I honestly haven't laughed at a stupider joke in a long long time. That's after giving me a great chuckle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Unfortunately the rice will do no good for the phone the water will start to corrode the components. It might work for a couple of weeks but will eventually die. If you found a repair company that had an ultrasonic bath they could clean the board of corrosion but I’m not aware of any in Ireland.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Which iPhone is it? The 6s and up are water resistant and should survive a dunk just fine. There may be water in the speaker so use a desiccant like rice to draw it out.

• Advertisement

I can't open the phone as I do not have a tool small enough so have covered it in rice and left it by the radiator. There is an odd water shadow on the screen now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Rice ain't gona do sh!t...how can rice absorb water through hard plastic, especially since you cant take an iPhone apart

Happened to me and the phone was fooked.

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    Rice ain't gona do sh!t...how can rice absorb water through hard plastic, especially since you cant take an iPhone apart

Happened to me and the phone was fooked.

That's why you need to defrost it.

It is 5. Nothing special but I am dependent on it. It is a work phone, I think the contract said that staff are liable for first €150 of repair. Fingers crossed for the rice theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

If you have an airing cupboard put it in there or somewhere nice and warm. Don't bother with rice. If you're competent enough and have the tools to remove the battery do so (I assume you won't/can't) otherwise leave it off I guess for a good number of hours till the water evaporates.

Then cross fingers and toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fecked unless you can get it 'apple repaired'. I can never work out was such an anti-consumer company has so many customers. It's certainly not for it's ****ty mobile operating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Why do you let it bother you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Were you bobbing for apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's why you need to defrost it.

Aye, throw it under the grill, dry it out quicker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note:Hi folks, please bear with me while I close this and move it to Apple devices where they would have better experience of this. Please note the new forum and forum rules.

Thanks in advance,

Buford T. Justice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement