Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security issue with sales rep questions

Options
  • 30-04-2018 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi! I signed up for a new prepay contract today with one of your sales reps using the chat facility.
    I was asked for the following information to set up a direct debit
    Name, D.O.B, address , phone number, phone pin , drivers license number. Bic and Iban.
    Then I was asked for my card details. The number, expiry date and cvv. Then I was asked for my password to "Verify my card"
    When I told the rep I wasn't ccomfortable giving out passwords online , I asked iif an Eir rep could contact me by phone to verify the contract.
    The rep came back moments later telling me thatmy contract had gone through.
    And he never mentioned the need for my card password again.
    Is this normal? It doesn't seem entirely aappropriate for a rep to be asking for debit card passwords!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MuddyFields.

No way that sounds kosher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,521 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Do you mean the pin for the debit card? Should never be asked for that - ever!
    If so report it - assume you had the chat emailed to you?

Should be no reason really for the credit card details to start with with DD set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LisaM3279

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you mean the pin for the debit card? Should never be asked for that - ever!
    If so report it - assume you had the chat emailed to you?

Should be no reason really for the credit card details to start with with DD set up.

I thought it was a bit strange that they needed my card details in the first place. Then when he asked for the debit card password alarm bells started to ring.
    I don't know why they'd need them if they had my bank details. It's got a dodgy feel to the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LisaM3279

So I've just been on to my bank. They were quite concerned about the whole thing and I've had to cancel my card.
    They've advised me to contact Eir about it too. As of yet I'm still waiting for an Eir rep to get back me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

LisaM3279 wrote: »
    Hi! I signed up for a new prepay contract today with one of your sales reps using the chat facility.
    I was asked for the following  information to set up a direct debit
    Name,  D.O.B, address , phone number, phone pin , drivers license number. Bic and Iban.
    Then I was asked for my card details. The number, expiry date and cvv. Then I was  asked for my password to "Verify my card"
    When I told the rep I wasn't  ccomfortable giving out passwords  online , I asked iif an Eir rep could contact me by phone  to verify the contract.
    The rep came back moments later telling me thatmy contract had gone through.
    And he never mentioned the need for my card password again.
    Is this normal? It doesn't seem entirely aappropriate for a rep to be asking for debit card passwords!
    Hi LiasM3279, 

I'm sorry to hear this. 

Do you have a copy of the transcript from this chat, if you have can you PM it to me and I'll have a look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
Advertisement