Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

i was more questioning the other posters use of the phrase 'ridiculous reasons', especially when we are being told to 'trust women' and that the reason shouldn't matter

My point was that the vast, vast majority of women will NOT abort over some trivial willy nilly reason. I asked did he know anyone who he felt would abort for such a reason, because the answer to that is likely No.
    Think of the women you know and love, you trust them, so trust other women.
    And to play devils advocate, if a woman were to abort for a petty reason such as a minor cleft palate (if there were no other chromosomal issues) for cosmetic reasons, I would argue that a woman like that should not be in a position to be caring for a child with additional needs.
    It certainly wouldn’t be in the child’s best interests to be reared by a mother like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

Lads stop answering these new No posters. They are only trolling, the admin yesterday almost blew a gasket. Clearly the racist comment was posted just to draw a response. Adds nothing to the repeal campaign and shows how lame the No campaign is.

From the left wing playbook, When you cant argue the point with someone call them racist.

Mod-Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

From the left wing playbook, When you cant argue the point with someone call them racist.

Nobody can argue with you because you have failed to submit any actual points for consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Have the No side any honour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

OK is there going to be a 50 post minimum before posting on this thread? There are so many new accounts posting racist, sexist, homophobic drivel on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Replying to Nettle soup

No because you can't defend the indefensible.

We want choice for all. Abortion will not be compulsory but it gives a choice to others that need it for whatever their reason is. Its none of my business why you want it but I will fight as much as I can for your choice to be able to have it.

I have a teenage daughter, I want her to obtain any medical assistance she needs or wants in this country.

Repeal all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I do hate to be the bearer of unpleasant news to you but Downs Syndrome isn't just a case of a child looking a bit different. Often there are inherent health issues- such as heart defects.

My neighbour had her first child at 47. No scan or anything (daughter was born in late 60s not long before me). Both parents died before Doreen left school.

I remember her as one of the happiest peoole I've evee met. But she was never out of hospital and I believe the stress of her care killed the parents before their time. She herself passed away at 22.

I doubt they'd have aborted their child had they known but do not dismiss people who abort a child with DS as making a "ridiculous choice".

The other sad reality is there just isn't the backup services in Ireland to support families of DS or other disabilities. Not everyone is able or strong enough to care for them. Is it wrong for them to want to terminate honestly I can't say because it's not me who will have go through the pregnancy or raise that child. Let women and their families make that choice, it's their lives their futures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

gmisk wrote: »
    OK is there going to be a 50 post minimum before posting on this thread? There are so many new accounts posting racist, sexist, homophobic drivel on this thread.

I don't think you could introduce such a rule for this thread in particular as it's in AH.

I think going forward though if new accounts post content like what you've described here we should promptly report them and ignore them.

We need to stick to this rather than entertaining them, it only detracts from the discussion at hand and if we know what they're saying is that bad, then it's obvious the mods do too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

....... wrote: »

Not even surprised anymore. If you could see the deleted posts you'd be like that dude that opens the box in raiders of the lost ark.

Cannot see that working to well. But keep reporting suspects and we'll deal with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

is any pro-life stance at all automatically judged to be sexist? seems to be to me anyway. Haven't seen any homophobic drivel on this thread, but I haven't read every post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Haven't seen any homophobic drivel on this thread, but I haven't read every post

Reading every post may be a good start then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

is any pro-life stance at all automatically judged to be sexist? seems to be to me anyway. Haven't seen any homophobic drivel on this thread, but I haven't read every post

Absolutely not, not all pro-life stances are automatically sexist, there have been some stances in the thread where certain posters have completely and utterly disrespected women with nothing but misogynistic statements, sure one in particular mentioned enforcing hysterectomies to stop people having abortions!

I haven't read every post myself but I've come across a few that was homophobic in previous threads. At least I'm 99% positive there was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Well, it looks like the trolls and nasties are really out in force today. And what a surprise - they are all supporting the No side.

Reeks of desperation and showing their true colours to me.

As for myself, repeal is the only sensible and decent option. Now, it's a beautiful day, I've got places to go, friends to meet. Enjoy the good weather. Have a life outside of web forums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

....... wrote: »

Is this the original Rape Committee guy again? Or god forbid are there two people out there that think an interrogation of a woman to decide whether she really was raped or not, whether she really "deserves" an abortion or not is a good idea??

Is this where we are?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It was word for word what the first guy had said about rape committee so it was same person, not sure of the name on the account though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

amdublin wrote: »
    Is this the original Rape Committee guy again? Or god forbid are there two people out there that think an interrogation of a woman to decide whether she really was raped or not, whether she really "deserves" an abortion or not is a good idea??

Is this where we are?!

There's a few with that opinion. One of the lads in college had the same one, but when I pointed out how unworkable it was, he conceded, and went back to "I just don't think its right,"

Look, I get it, babies are great. Noone disputes that.

But my wife's care comes first, and if a situation occurred that she needed an abortion, it should be our decision. Noone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

January wrote: »
    It was word for word what the first guy had said about rape committee so it was same person, not sure of the name on the account though.

They had different usernames. One was called NAGDEFI and the other Andrew Beef.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Has there ever been a pro choice poster banned?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Has there ever been a pro choice poster banned?

Rob had a 2 week ban on the last thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Rob had a 2 week ban on the last thread.

Wow. Normally its just rereg no voters.

Yeah there's been a few people on the pro-choice side banned, it's not one sided.

This story on In Her Shoes is heartbreaking. This is why we need 12 weeks without reason. It's not unrestricted. It's unrestricted as to reason. This is why we need it. For these women, yes they are the minority but there is no other way. We cannot have Rape Committees.
    "I had never known my dad. My mum gave me what information she had about him, but she hadn't known him for long when she fell pregnant with me at twenty, so it wasn't much. We got by just the two of us- things were tight but we managed. I was in college when he got in contact with me, saying that he had wanted to wait until he was emotionally mature enough to be a father.

It turned out he had lived ten minutes away my whole life. He was very successful, with a great job and multiple properties. It was a bit sickening that he had so much and never thought to help us out, but I was willing to look past that as I was so desperate to know my dad.

It was a tough relationship because he was so inconsistent. Some weeks he'd want to see me multiple times, treating me to fancy meals and inviting me to stay in his house. Other times a month would go by and I'd hear nothing. I'd be terrified every time I saw him would be the last time, that he might decide I was boring and just drop off the face of the earth again. I was emotionally drained by it all.

One night, during one of the quiet months, I was out with friends and in my drunken state decided I'd confront him and ask him if he was serious about being part of my life. I hopped in a taxi to his house and rang the doorbell, but when he opened my big speech fell apart and I just burst into tears, clung to him and told him that I loved him. What follows is blurry, but to cut a long story short, he raped me. I lay frozen on the bed for the actual act, and bawled crying afterwards. He left the room without a word. The next morning he acted so normal I would have questioned if I had dreamed it if I wasn't in so much physical pain. I was on my period and my tampon was now lodged deep inside me as it hadn't been taken out for the rape. He made me a coffee and talked about his work. I should have spat on him. But in some bizarre way I felt I couldn't pass up attention from my dad.

From then on, he paid me so much attention. Couldn't see enough of me, couldn't treat me to enough special things, couldn't say enough lovely words to me. He'd text me every morning telling me how he loved me and I was the best daughter ever. The silent agreement was that he could have sex with me. Sometimes I would cry during. Sometimes I would close my eyes. Sometimes I would stare out the window until it ended. It was agony. But I thought if I just stuck it out one day he would get over this weird need and just be my dad, that I would get the affection without having to pay for it like this.

About six months in, I fell pregnant. I told him right away, and he advised me that that was "women's problems" and I should "sort it". He refused to discuss it further. I booked an appointment in Liverpool and when I let him know he was so full of praise for what a smart and responsible girl I was. He never offered to contribute to the cost. I was still a student working Saturdays in a newsagents so it wiped out nearly all my "savings".

He said I could come to his house afterwards and recover. I stayed in a guest bedroom drifting in and out of sleep for two days, in agony with stomach cramps. At one point they hurt so badly and the bleed was so heavy that I rang him at work and told him I thought something had gone wrong and I might need medical attention. He advised me to "be brave" and hung up. I was frightened to ring a doctor because I wasn't sure where I stood legally, could I be in trouble as abortion was banned in Ireland? Instead of being in a medical facility receiving appropriate aftercare and reassurance, I was lying in an my abuser's house alone and terrified. The 8th amendment added another layer of secrecy, an extra coating of shame to my story.

It carried on for another three months. I thought I could never tell a soul what was happening because any sane person would think I was sick, a disgusting person for letting this go on. I don't know what possessed me but one night a guy that I was casually seeing was confiding in me about how dysfunctional his family was and I blurted it all out. I suppose I thought it didn't matter too much if I lost this particular person so I was safe to say it. To my surprise, instead of pushing me away in disgust, his eyes welled up with tears. He had a young daughter from a previous relationship and he couldn't fathom the idea of a father taking advantage of his child like that. Though we did not continue seeing each other for long after that, his reaction helped me to understand that I was not the person at fault here.

I cut my father from my life and I have been in counselling for the last two years. I am doing great. I suppose the point of this long winded story is that life is rarely black and white. The 8th amendment assumes that it is and does not allow for cases like mine. Even if a loophole were to come in that allows for abortion in extreme cases like rape and incest, I was not psychologically in a position to admit that that was happening to me. We need to trust women to make the right call on their situation. Please vote yes."

Mod- Come on people, ye know better than to discuss moderation on a thread. Knock it on the head or thread bans will happen for you.

I can't stand the lefty sjw types on the yes side....... I'll be voting yes (if this wasn't such a serious referendum Id vote against the lefties to piss them off :D ). Only reason I am going to vote yes is I couldn't bare to look at my daughter in the future if she needs medical help and realize that my no vote caused her pain. :( I urge everyone to forget the loonys on both sides and just make the right decision.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

January wrote: »
    Yeah there's been a few people on the pro-choice side banned, it's not one sided.

This story on In Her Shoes is heartbreaking. This is why we need 12 weeks without reason. It's not unrestricted. It's unrestricted as to reason. This is why we need it. For these women, yes they are the minority but there is no other way. We cannot have Rape Committees.
    "I had never known my dad. My mum gave me what information she had about him, but she hadn't known him for long when she fell pregnant with me at twenty, so it wasn't much. We got by just the two of us- things were tight but we managed. I was in college when he got in contact with me, saying that he had wanted to wait until he was emotionally mature enough to be a father.

It turned out he had lived ten minutes away my whole life. He was very successful, with a great job and multiple properties. It was a bit sickening that he had so much and never thought to help us out, but I was willing to look past that as I was so desperate to know my dad.

It was a tough relationship because he was so inconsistent. Some weeks he'd want to see me multiple times, treating me to fancy meals and inviting me to stay in his house. Other times a month would go by and I'd hear nothing. I'd be terrified every time I saw him would be the last time, that he might decide I was boring and just drop off the face of the earth again. I was emotionally drained by it all.

One night, during one of the quiet months, I was out with friends and in my drunken state decided I'd confront him and ask him if he was serious about being part of my life. I hopped in a taxi to his house and rang the doorbell, but when he opened my big speech fell apart and I just burst into tears, clung to him and told him that I loved him. What follows is blurry, but to cut a long story short, he raped me. I lay frozen on the bed for the actual act, and bawled crying afterwards. He left the room without a word. The next morning he acted so normal I would have questioned if I had dreamed it if I wasn't in so much physical pain. I was on my period and my tampon was now lodged deep inside me as it hadn't been taken out for the rape. He made me a coffee and talked about his work. I should have spat on him. But in some bizarre way I felt I couldn't pass up attention from my dad.

From then on, he paid me so much attention. Couldn't see enough of me, couldn't treat me to enough special things, couldn't say enough lovely words to me. He'd text me every morning telling me how he loved me and I was the best daughter ever. The silent agreement was that he could have sex with me. Sometimes I would cry during. Sometimes I would close my eyes. Sometimes I would stare out the window until it ended. It was agony. But I thought if I just stuck it out one day he would get over this weird need and just be my dad, that I would get the affection without having to pay for it like this.

About six months in, I fell pregnant. I told him right away, and he advised me that that was "women's problems" and I should "sort it". He refused to discuss it further. I booked an appointment in Liverpool and when I let him know he was so full of praise for what a smart and responsible girl I was. He never offered to contribute to the cost. I was still a student working Saturdays in a newsagents so it wiped out nearly all my "savings".

He said I could come to his house afterwards and recover. I stayed in a guest bedroom drifting in and out of sleep for two days, in agony with stomach cramps. At one point they hurt so badly and the bleed was so heavy that I rang him at work and told him I thought something had gone wrong and I might need medical attention. He advised me to "be brave" and hung up. I was frightened to ring a doctor because I wasn't sure where I stood legally, could I be in trouble as abortion was banned in Ireland? Instead of being in a medical facility receiving appropriate aftercare and reassurance, I was lying in an my abuser's house alone and terrified. The 8th amendment added another layer of secrecy, an extra coating of shame to my story.

It carried on for another three months. I thought I could never tell a soul what was happening because any sane person would think I was sick, a disgusting person for letting this go on. I don't know what possessed me but one night a guy that I was casually seeing was confiding in me about how dysfunctional his family was and I blurted it all out. I suppose I thought it didn't matter too much if I lost this particular person so I was safe to say it. To my surprise, instead of pushing me away in disgust, his eyes welled up with tears. He had a young daughter from a previous relationship and he couldn't fathom the idea of a father taking advantage of his child like that. Though we did not continue seeing each other for long after that, his reaction helped me to understand that I was not the person at fault here.

I cut my father from my life and I have been in counselling for the last two years. I am doing great. I suppose the point of this long winded story is that life is rarely black and white. The 8th amendment assumes that it is and does not allow for cases like mine. Even if a loophole were to come in that allows for abortion in extreme cases like rape and incest, I was not psychologically in a position to admit that that was happening to me. We need to trust women to make the right call on their situation. Please vote yes."

Oh my God. What that poor child went through? So heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

MODS....feel free to remove this if needed, I don't know if it's ever been posted before, it may well have been but I'm sure as hell not going back through the last 3 threads.

Anti-choicers....this man has a question for y'all

459A3FF100000578-5008931-image-a-4_1508775975984.jpg

459A3FF500000578-5008931-image-a-5_1508775996261.jpg

459A3FF900000578-5008931-image-a-6_1508776001681.jpg

459A3FFE00000578-5008931-image-a-7_1508776005175.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Genuine question?

Why do you think of a <12 week pregnancy as a child?
    What's your personal experience of pregnancy & children that brings you to that conclusion?

If you haven't already, (or for those reading along) try talking to the women in your life about it.

If you talked to me, I'd tell you that I have one child and I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks.

The miscarriage was deeply upsetting. It was a planned pregnancy, a wanted baby. . . I cried, I grieved, it took me months to recover.

Months, not years, not decades.
    I know people who've lost children, they never recover.
    Decades later it still affects them daily.

An 11 week foetus is not a child.

I have three and also have personal experience of miscarriage. I also have had to attend early pregnancy scans and even at 7/8 have been able to see a human life with a beating human heart. It's a living human being and if not wanting to murder children cause their an inconvenience leaves me open to abuse from the vocal politically correct mob then so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I have three and also have personal experience of miscarriage. I also have had to attend early pregnancy scans and even at 7/8 have been able to see a human life with a beating human heart. It's a living human being and if not wanting to murder children cause their an inconvenience leaves me open to abuse from the vocal politically correct mob then so be it

It's people who live in this bubble who.will vote no, there's no talking to them, there is no measured conversation, there is no reasoning with them.

Unfortunately this is what they believe, that women will decide at the drop of a hat to terminate a pregnancy because it's an inconvenience to them.

These are the people I ignore, time is better spent on educating the people who are genuinely undecided.

What's an inconvenience to you though? You know the majority of people who have abortions are already mothers and have used at least one form of contraception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Do you really believe that there are so many people completely fine with murdering children?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bootpaws wrote: »
    Considering all the aggression and oppression the No side insist they're facing, I've seen some alarming sentiments in their own echo chambers. Made the mistake of reading the comments on a pro-life post someone I know shared. Comments with hundreds of likes claiming to want to lock Yes voters up on the day of the referendum so we can't vote. Crazy stuff.
    Did you see the one where Enda Sherlock (Brother of Cora and Leo) threatened to bulldoze hospitals rather than let abortions happen in them.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Genuine question?

What's your personal experience of pregnancy & children that brings you to that conclusion?

If you haven't already, (or for those reading along) try talking to the women in your life about it.

If you talked to me, I'd tell you that I have one child and I had a miscarriage at 11 weeks.

The miscarriage was deeply upsetting. It was a planned pregnancy, a wanted baby. . . I cried, I grieved, it took me months to recover.

Go on I'll give it one last try.

Why do you think it is okay for YOUR beliefs to dictate MY access to healthcare even when there is no pregnancy at all, nor would there ever be?

The 8th keeps me in pain - that's it. Simple as. How can you find this right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There's actually a video of that alleged incident. There's something quite comical about the exchange really.

"Why can't I put up these posters? You made you the arbiter of all of Galway?"

"**** yourself and **** your mother"

Obviously there are fringe elements on both sides that do their fellow campaigners a disservice, this mysterious 'bearded man' is among them.

Honestly that looks like actors to me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

bootpaws wrote: »
    Considering all the aggression and oppression the No side insist they're facing, I've seen some alarming sentiments in their own echo chambers. Made the mistake of reading the comments on a pro-life post someone I know shared. Comments with hundreds of likes claiming to want to lock Yes voters up on the day of the referendum so we can't vote. Crazy stuff.
    Did you see the one where Enda Sherlock (Brother of Cora and Leo) threatened to bulldoze hospitals rather than let abortions happen in them.

Comes to something when you hear about Cora Sherlock and realise she's not the worst in the family!

Can you see any reason a woman might want an abortion?

Think about it, a woman having gone through the same experience as you, even believing the same as you, but presented with the option of needing an abortion.

What reason do you think is sufficient for her to have one? Risk of death? Risk of damage to her health? None at all?

So great to see so many people get behind the Yes campaign.

Genuine question?

I have three and also have personal experience of miscarriage. I also have had to attend early pregnancy scans and even at 7/8 have been able to see a human life with a beating human heart. It's a living human being and if not wanting to murder children because their an inconvenience leaves me open to abuse from the vocal politically correct mob then so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭FingerDeKat

Comes to something when you hear about Cora Sherlock and realise she's not the worst in the family!

the whole family are c**ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I have three and also have personal experience of miscarriage. I also have had to attend early pregnancy scans and even at 7/8 have been able to see a human life with a beating human heart. It's a living human being and if not wanting to murder children because their an inconvenience leaves me open to abuse from the vocal politically correct mob then so be it.

Doesn't matter how many times you repeat it it still doesn't make it true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I had my miscarriage at 11 weeks. I was given tablets to take at home, down the toilet it went, no one gave a hoot, but me and my husband. It is a horrible thing to have to do. That feotus was important to me. For the best part of 3 months, we had bonded with it, toyed with what gender it might be and had loved it. To hear that it had died, without us knowing made us felt awful. One thing my husband said to me when I came back front he hospital and broke the news to him was, the poor little thing. In our minds it had struggled without us knowing.

The doctors said to us it didn't struggle, it didn't feel pain, it hasn't got that kind of a nervous system.

I know how heart breaking miscarriage can be, but I'm not naive enough to think what I lost was a baby. It passed through me, I felt it leave my body. It was no more than a heavy period with tougher cramps. Despite the fact that with every cramp and every run to the loo, my heart broke more and more as I realised what I had hoped would become my son or daughter went down into the sewer, with nothing but indignity, it was in no way on a par with losing a baby or a child.

But that doesn't not stopping me voting for change. Is it worse to abort a 12 week feotus than to abandon an unwanted child? It is not good enough to day a woman's natural instinct is her maternal urges. We have spent decades trying to show that we are more than that and have more to us than that. Shouldn't we be trusted enough when we say we do not want to carry a baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

The best way to reduce abortions is not the eighth amendment, but rather to make contraception more available - something the Religious Right has historically opposed.

Using the words murder and kill, really shows how desperate the no side are. Women have died because of the 8th do we call pro life people murderers and killers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

Did you want your children? Did you consider how you would provide for those children before they were born? Did you consider if you would be a good parent?
    These are not questions I expect you to answer of course. These are questions some of us have asked ourselves when that pregnancy test is positive. When instead of being excited you are upset and terrified.
    When faced with an unplanned pregnancy you have to consider if you can or even should become a parent. Not everyone should be parents. It is a tough job. A child should be wanted and loved.

It is not about "inconvenience"

Mod-Less of that please.
    the whole family are c**ts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

The best way to reduce abortions is not the eighth amendment, but rather to make contraception more available - something the Religious Right has historically opposed.

Could you imagine if a government tried to bring in free contraception and mandatory fact/science based sex education in schools. The religious right would have a sh1t attack.

• Advertisement

mohawk wrote: »
    Could you imagine if a government tried to bring in free contraception and mandatory fact/science based sex education in schools. The religious right would have a sh1t attack.

They're trying to do just that in the near future.

No contraception is 100% effective, not all women can take the pill, some people are allergic to latex. There will always be unwanted pregnancies

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Dude89

spookwoman wrote: »
    No contraception is 100% effective, not all women can take the pill, some people are allergic to latex. There will always be unwanted pregnancies

There's more than two types of contraception

Dude89 wrote: »
    There's more than two types of contraception
    Even with 2 they can fail.

Free contraception and more availability to same along with proper sex education should be government policy rather than introducing abortion on demand

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement