Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Comments

I'm glad this whole "Trust Women" marketing buzz is dieing off. It was more of a case of "Trust Politicians". IMO it is a case of Trust Doctors. I don't trust Doctor's to assess things like Mental Health on the grounds of abortion +12 Weeks. I believe they will always make a safe call to ensure they don't get sued.

We see this constantly with things like Sick Notes. Have you ever heard of a doctor refusing a Sick Note? Unlikely, because they are worried about being held liable. The same will apply for abortion.

This is not about 12 Weeks, this is abortion on demand with a little bit of red tape. For that reason, I will be voting no. 12 Weeks should have been proposed to enter the Constitution. There should also have been a proviso of holding a referendum in a few years time to reverse a potential Repeal. Give it a Trial run of 5-10 years, see if it's being abused and then vote again.

My predictions over he next few weeks will be that more Yes'ers will turn to undecideds, and undecideds will turn to No's. There will be a malaise from Yes voters and a lazy vote turn out due to impression the media are giving that everybody bar a handful of religious fundamentalists is for a Repeal.

The proposed Repeal will fail 52-48. The Repeal extremists will blame the government and definitely not themselves. The media will blame the government, the government will fall. The media will continue on with blaming foreign influence over the referendum. Labour/Sinn Fein/Extreme Left will run an Election campaign with a 2nd referendum as part of their manifesto. Fianna Fail will win the election.

Pretty far fetched considering Fine Gael have been consistently ahead of Fianna Fail in the polls for years, and the majority of that party is pro repeal. The government will make it to the next budget and we'll get an election in early 2019, but it will have nothing to do with this referendum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Touchee

I'm glad this whole "Trust Women" marketing buzz is dieing off. It was more of a case of "Trust Politicians". IMO it is a case of Trust Doctors. I don't trust Doctor's to assess things like Mental Health on the grounds of abortion +12 Weeks. I believe they will always make a safe call to ensure they don't get sued.

We see this constantly with things like Sick Notes. Have you ever heard of a doctor refusing a Sick Note? Unlikely, because they are worried about being held liable. The same will apply for abortion.

This is not about 12 Weeks, this is abortion on demand with a little bit of red tape. For that reason, I will be voting no. 12 Weeks should have been proposed to enter the Constitution. There should also have been a proviso of holding a referendum in a few years time to reverse a potential Repeal. Give it a Trial run of 5-10 years, see if it's being abused and then vote again.

My predictions over he next few weeks will be that more Yes'ers will turn to undecideds, and undecideds will turn to No's. There will be a malaise from Yes voters and a lazy vote turn out due to impression the media are giving that everybody bar a handful of religious fundamentalists is for a Repeal.

The proposed Repeal will fail 52-48. The Repeal extremists will blame the government and definitely not themselves. The media will blame the government, the government will fall. The media will continue on with blaming foreign influence over the referendum. Labour/Sinn Fein/Extreme Left will run an Election campaign with a 2nd referendum as part of their manifesto. Fianna Fail will win the election.

But what gives you the right to decide on what I should do with my body? Fine if you have an opinion, but you should have never been given the right to dictate on what I can do with my body. This is a basic human right that is denied to half of the population of Ireland.

Women must be so stupid that they can't be trusted with their own bodies. We need the constitution to tell what a woman can or cannot do.

Abortion on demand is such an insulting phrase. As if all the women in Ireland are waiting for this to become legal so they can have the joy of demanding an abortion every few months. Abortions are so much craic that we won't be able to help ourselves from having more and more.

Regardless of the reason why a woman needs an abortion, no one should have the right to decide on this matter. It's for the woman and only that woman to decide on a course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Abused?

This whole premise is based on women being granted abortions only if you approve.

Thinking you should have a say in someone else’s healthcare is a mindset I just can’t understand.

Should we extend that to other areas of healthcare?

Who are you to say what reasons are good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

So you don't think doctors are qualified to assess a patient's mental health? That's bizarre.

Could you please explain how you think it will be "abused"?

Why would the Repeal extremists blame either the government or themselves?

Why do you think that you know better than the government, the healthcare professionals, women and girls everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

kylith wrote: »
    What about me? I’m pregnant. If I get sick I can be denied treatment until I’m dying. If I miscarry I can be denied treatment: the idea of winding up like Savita is horrifying. I get no say over the management of my labour.

That’s the 8th amendment.

For me it depends on the seriousness of your sickness. It's a balancing act whereby the woman's life should never ever be at risk so if the pregnancy is downright dangerous to the woman, the doctor treating her should operate on the "as far as practicable" rule for the baby's life. The ideal is for yourself and your baby to be fine. All pregnant women suffer to a greater or lesser degree in order to produce offspring, it's part of the price we pay and it's usually worth it. I don't think it's right to end the baby's life because a woman is having a very tough pregnancy but as above if that tips over into real concern that's the point the doctor puts the woman first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

You're effectively saying that because the referendum terms aren't framed exactly as you want then you'll vote no. But honestly that always going to be the case - if you got your exact referendum then it wouldn't be the perfect fit for lots of other people.
    This attitude is pretty much making it impossible to ever get this repealed. It's almost as if people (not necessarily you) are striving to find excuses to vote No with this 'oh, I'd love to vote yes and I agree with so much that yes is saying/aiming for but because of this one area of concern that doesn't quite suit me then I must reject everything and vote no'.

I really think you are a Yes voter at heart by the way - getting this bloody amendment out of the constitution is so important and then move forward.

ELM327 wrote: »
    No, no it isn't
    It's a particular ridiculous piece of legislation, restricted only to this last bastion of child abuse, baby killing and church interference of state law. Sounds like a middle east country? No, that's Ireland. 2018.

The absolute bullheaded BOLLOXOSITY of your position telling a woman something completely opposite to what her doctors are telling her is equal parts delusional and ridiculous.

Calm down there love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Mrsmum wrote: »
    For me it depends on the seriousness of your sickness. It's a balancing act whereby the woman's life should never ever be at risk so if the pregnancy is downright dangerous to the woman, the doctor treating her should operate on the "as far as practicable" rule for the baby's life. The ideal is for yourself and your baby to be fine. All pregnant women suffer to a greater or lesser degree in order to produce offspring, it's part of the price we pay and it's usually worth it. I don't think it's right to end the baby's life because a woman is having a very tough pregnancy but as above if that tips over into real concern that's the point the doctor puts the woman first.

Would you agree with a woman having an abortion if due to epileptic seizures she might end up brain damaged due to having to come off her medication? Oh and she also has 3 children who need her well & healthy and a husband who wants her around in full health for the next maybe 40 years or so.

But that is fine for you! You can make that choice of suffering all you want.
    However, I should also have a choice of not suffering, if that is what I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

Climbed up Croagh Patrick on Saturday. Just at the 'shoulder' part with the small pond/lake it's not unusual to see rocks in the formation of someones name. This time there was a rock formation that read 'repeal 8th'. As I proceeded to the summit I met a group of people with pink hi vis vests that had vote no to repeal signage.

On my way down the rock formation was destroyed. I won't be in the country for the vote and if I was I'd still be unsure what way to go, however I thought that act was pretty pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

justshane wrote: »
    Climbed up Croagh Patrick on Saturday. Just at the 'shoulder' part with the small pond/lake it's not unusual to see rocks in the formation of someones name. This time there was a rock formation that read 'repeal 8th'. As I proceeded to the summit I met a group of people with pink hi vis vests that had vote no to repeal signage.

On my way down the rock formation was destroyed. I won't be in the country for the vote and if I was I'd still be unsure what way to go, however I thought that act was pretty pathetic.

I agree with you, people are allowed have different views.good on you for doing the climb it's on my bucket list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Calm down there love.
    No worries there, 27%.
    You're diverting again.

At least you or your child wasn't killed by the church and buried in a sewer in tuam.
    Or abused for their whole life in the magdelene laundries.

Love , care, compassion and human rights will win.
    Your doctored photos, lies, and trolling will lose.
    We have love on our side.

#trustourwomen
    #repealthe8th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Which one? The putting the rocks down in 'repeal' or the removing of said rocks?

Or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

erica74 wrote: »
    So you don't think doctors are qualified to assess a patient's mental health? That's bizarre.

Could you please explain how you think it will be "abused"?

Why would the Repeal extremists blame either the government or themselves?

Why do you think that you know better than the government, the healthcare professionals, women and girls everywhere?

1. I have explained why I wouldn't be trusting of a doctor's decision.

2. People will show up 12+ weeks pregnant to a doctor and say they are depressed, may I please have an abortion.

3. If they lose the referendum. Please read previous post.

4. The female, political and healthcare vote is divided. I am being asked to vote on what I think should happen to an amendment in the Constitution and that is what I will do.

erica74 wrote: »

The NO side (all 27% of them and the american imports) think they know better than everyone.
    After all, their rosaries are more important than decent healthcare.
    Touchee wrote: »
    +1

Pretty petty of course but I'd expect nothing less from "love both" and their ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Oh my, we are going to need a Boards group hug after all of this referendum.

Still a divided country,always have been,always will be.

By 'suffering' I mean no pregnancy is a walk in the park but that alone imo (and we all have our own opinions which we will take into the ballot booth with us) is a pretty poor reason to stop the baby in it's tracks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Planespeaking. I am sorry that you are in such pain. Truly. However your situation as an argument for repealing the 8th I am not convinced about. I still contend that even if the 8th was repealed, situations like yours would continue because doctors etc have to be sure there isn't a pregnancy and that is because the general population of women and indeed men out there would not thank them for harming an unknown pregnancy. As long as a woman is having periods there is a possibility of being pregnant in their eyes. The reason they have to be sure is not imo because of the 8th but because of the legal repercussions for themselves. This is the same all over the world.
    No, no it isn't
    It's a particular ridiculous piece of legislation, restricted only to this last bastion of child abuse, baby killing and church interference of state law. Sounds like a middle east country? No, that's Ireland. 2018.

The absolute bullheaded BOLLOXOSITY of your position telling a woman something completely opposite to what her doctors are telling her is equal parts delusional and ridiculous.

Plus I grew up in the UK, been treated there many times.

I also once required a scan for gallstones. Was asked "any chance you can be pregnant ?" Said no*, scan done. Its just us who distrust women.

* actually used Victoria Wood's Dinnerladies' joke about "not unless sperm can get through a sash window" but you get my drift.

• Advertisement

No, there will be nothing further heard, like after the divorce and SSM referenda.
    Unless there's a no vote, in which case the campaign for another referendum in 3-5 years when more godbotherers will have died off will begin in earnest.

By 'suffering' I mean no pregnancy is a walk in the park but that alone imo (and we all have our own opinions which we will take into the ballot booth with us) is a pretty poor reason to stop the baby in it's tracks.

Oh you really have zero clue!

No, there will be nothing further heard, like after the divorce and SSM referenda.
    Unless there's a no vote, in which case the campaign for another referendum in 3-5 years when more godbotherers will have died off will begin in earnest.

Haha you really keep pushing the god thing, that has no basis in my decision to vote no, maybe the other 26% !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Stahp, 3-5 years? How long was it between Lisbon 1 and 2? We'll be campaigning for another referendum asap if this one is defeated. It's just too important an issue to let lie for another few years.

AnneFrank wrote: »

Haha you really keep pushing the god thing, that has no basis in my decision to vote no, maybe the other 26% !!

Likewise my Catholicism has nothing to do with my vote here being yes or my yes vote in the previous equal marriage vote.

However I'm telling the truth so....

Would you agree with a woman having an abortion if due to epileptic seizures she might end up brain damaged due to having to come off her medication? Oh and she also has 3 children who need her well & healthy and a husband who wants her around in full health for the next maybe 40 years or so.

Yes if a doctor says she is in danger of that happening, the as far as practicable rule should apply imo.

• Advertisement

Well I have had four children plus five miscarriages so I know at least as much from personal experience as many people on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Yes if a doctor says she is in danger of that happening, the as far as practicable rule should apply imo.

Her life is not at risk.
    Nothing the doctor can do.

January wrote: »
    Stahp, 3-5 years? How long was it between Lisbon 1 and 2? We'll be campaigning for another referendum asap if this one is defeated. It's just too important an issue to let lie for another few years.

If we lose this one, I can see another referendum in a couple of years but with an amendment to the constitution to cover FFA only. That will pass easily but I'd say there'll be a reluctance from politicians to go any further. BUT I'm hoping this campaign will make women realise they can speak out about their experiences and the campaign to repeal will be even stronger next time. Still confident we can do it this time though!

Well I have had four children plus five miscarriages so I know at least as much from personal experience as many people on here.

You know enough to confirm your own views but not enough to consider all aspects.

That’s clear from your repeated denials that women are being denied treatment despite not being pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Thankfully when the 8th is repealed the as far as practicable clause won't come in to it. It will be purely the choice of the woman with guidance from her doctor and the support of her partner and children along with I'm sure the relief of her extended family & loving friends.

• Advertisement

No worries there, 27%.
    You're diverting again.

At least you or your child wasn't killed by the church and buried in a sewer in tuam.
    Or abused for their whole life in the magdelene laundries.

Love , care, compassion and human rights will win.
    Your doctored photos, lies, and trolling will lose.
    We have love on our side.

#trustourwomen
    #repealthe8th

Absolutely nothing to do with anything I have written in my posts. And you say I'm diverting !

Regardless of the reason, I should have a choice. Before a pregnancy, we are women with full autonomy over our bodies. As soon as we become pregnant, we somehow lose that autonomy and have to be told by other people what we can or cannot do. The loss of autonomy is so obvious, as it has been specifically included in the Constitution.

This is so unfair => denying me my right to do whatever I please with my body. I have a mental block while trying to understand why so many people have the right to vote on my body.

You are defending the pregnancy, I am defending the woman. The pregnancy would not exist without a woman's womb. As such, we cannot hold more value on the pregnancy over the woman.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but I cannot understand why do I have to be dictated by other people on what I can do with my body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

wexie wrote: »
    Which one? The putting the rocks down in 'repeal' or the removing of said rocks?

Or both?

The removing of the rocks. If someone puts in considerable effort to make a sign fair play to them, leave it. If the rock formation said vote no and was removed then I'd still find the act pathetic.

Personally, if my health is at risk then I want the right to decide what medical treatment is best for me. Taking into account ALL information from medical professionals.
    Are you seriously saying that you think I should actually be dying before I get treatment?

Yet you did not believe me that my pain was real or worth saving. You'll note I'm affording you the respect you denied me earlier.

2. People will show up 12+ weeks pregnant to a doctor and say they are depressed, may I please have an abortion.

By people, you obviously mean women.
    So, why do you think that a woman who can request an abortion at anytime before 12 weeks of pregnancy, would somehow wait till she is 20 weeks before asking for an abortion?
    Exactly what do you think of women?

Just taken my pain meds just so I can do some housework.

Leaving myself at risk of opiate addiction or overdose (sometimes 2 make no difference and I'll take more- or a mix of them plus codeine just so I can exist).

Love Both my hole. I don't matter.

bubblypop wrote: »

Not much it would appear.

Regardless of the reason, I should have a choice. Before a pregnancy, we are women with full autonomy over our bodies. As soon as we become pregnant, we somehow lose that autonomy and have to be told by other people what we can or cannot do. The loss of autonomy is so obvious, as it has been specifically included in the Constitution.

This is so unfair => denying me my right to do whatever I please with my body. I have a mental block while trying to understand why so many people have the right to vote on my body.

You are defending the pregnancy, I am defending the woman. The pregnancy would not exist without a woman's womb. As such, we cannot hold more value on the pregnancy over the woman.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but I cannot understand why do I have to be dictated by other people on what I can do with my body.

My answer to you is Because someone else is depending on you to put their life before your need to have the same rights to bodily autonomy as a man who cannot by biology have that life inside him. We should value what we are incredibly able to do rather than reducing it to nothing.

Ps don't mean to leave anyone hanging and not replied to but other things to do today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I’m not talking about ‘a tough pregnancy’. I’m talking about miscarriages turning septic. I’m talking about epileptic women having to come off the medication that stops their seizures. I’m talking about ARM against medical best practise. That is what the 8th means.

• Advertisement

My answer to you is Because someone else is depending on you to put their life before your need to have the same rights to bodily autonomy as a man who cannot by biology have that life inside him. We should value what we are incredibly able to do rather than reducing it to nothing.

Not. All. About. Foetuses.

Can't make that too clear. But still if you are capable of putting a mythical non existent entity above a real living human then I don't think you'll ever see reason.

I have a friend who is a paramedic. Its akin to him attending an RTA and refusing to treat someine just in case a nephilim needed assistance somewhere in Narnia.

Not. All. About. Foetuses.

Can't make that too clear. But still if you are capable of putting a mythical non existent entity above a real living human then I don't think you'll ever see reason.

I have a friend who is a paramedic. Its akin to him attending an RTA and refusing to treat someine just in case a nephilim needed assistance somewhere in Narnia.

This post reminded me of this image.
    Slightly NSFW due to mild language content

January wrote: »

I was trying to be conservative (no pun intended)
    Yes there should be another one straight away, as soon as the referendum commission is made full time and given the power to remove blatantly false billboards or other sources of misinformation

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Moiratat

Ps don't mean to leave anyone hanging and not replied to but other things to do today.

Did I not value my baby? So I reduced him or her to nothing? Despite if I carried my child to term and somehow wasn't viciously beaten to miscarry by my abusive rapist "boyfriend", I would've been left homeless and unable to care for my sisters and brother who are now living their best life possible because of a sacrifice I had to make. Do not belittle my decision because I loved my baby and in an ideal world I would have kept that child but we do not live in an ideal world, far from it actually, we live in a world where I had to make the most heart wrenching decision of my life in secrecy and terror and live with myself in disgust and shame after with a large percentage of my country believing I'm a murderer.
    Please don't take this as aggressive as this is my experience of the eighth and the pain it has caused me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The debate can't be about the hard cases when what is proposed is to replace the 8th with the majority of abortions being healthy women aborting healthy unborn.
    The hard cases which are a very small percentage can't be used as a reason to go from one position where abortion is allowed in certain cases to abortion for any reason at all. From a position where all human life has a value, to where certain human life is disposable if desired because one can kill the unborn life rather than it being required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The repeal side seems to be focused on infighting today? Why are people arguing over who's reason to tick "Yes" is better? Should focus not be getting people to tick yes?

Moiratat wrote: »
    Did I not value my baby? So I reduced him or her to nothing? Despite if I carried my child to term and somehow wasn't viciously beaten to miscarry by my abusive rapist "boyfriend", I would've been left homeless and unable to care for my sisters and brother who are now living their best life possible because of a sacrifice I had to make. Do not belittle my decision because I loved my baby and in an ideal world I would have kept that child but we do not live in an ideal world, far from it actually, we live in a world where I had to make the most heart wrenching decision of my life in secrecy and terror and live with myself in disgust and shame after with a large percentage of my country believing I'm a murderer.
    Please don't take this as aggressive as this is my experience of the eighth and the pain it has caused me.

It's down to 27% now, so not that large anymore :)
    Rest assured as each year passes the number gets less and less.

I know I'm only a randomer in a forum, but you did the right thing for you and your family unit, at the time. This is why we need to trust our women, as they will make the right decision for themselves.

The only right you do not have currently is to have the termination here. Your right to an abortion is enshrined in our constitution.

RobertKK wrote: »
    The debate can't be about the hard cases when what is proposed is to replace the 8th with the majority of abortions being healthy women aborting healthy unborn.
    The hard cases which are a very small percentage can't be used as a reason to go from one position where abortion is allowed in certain cases to abortion for any reason at all. From a position where all human life has a value, to where certain human life is disposable if desired because one can kill the unborn life rather than it being required.

These rights are already enshrined in our constitution. See the 12th and 13th amendment. If that is your position why are you not campaigning for repeal of those 2 amendments (right to travel and to procure information on abortion).
    pjohnson wrote: »
    The repeal side seems to be focused on infighting today? Why are people arguing over who's reason to tick "Yes" is better? Should focus not be getting people to tick yes?

Agreed. There was one poster , a mod (not of this forum, but still, you'd expect better), who seemed determined to argue with everyone. But we've left it at that. We are all on the one page, REPEAL.

#togetherforyes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

bubblypop wrote: »
    By people, you obviously mean women.
    So, why do you think that a woman who can request an abortion at anytime before 12 weeks of pregnancy, would somehow wait till she is 20 weeks before asking for an abortion?

Q1. Economic changes. Relationship issues. Doesn't like the sex of the baby. Many reasons.

Q2. I think some are nice and some are not nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

These rights are already enshrined in our constitution. See the 12th and 13th amendment. If that is your position why are you not campaigning for repeal of those 2 amendments (right to travel and to procure information on abortion).

It is enshrined that abortion can happen in certain cases, there is not censorship of information if it is asked for, and women can't be stopped travelling because it is impracticable for starters.
    It doesn't mean we have to go down the wrong road because others have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement