Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8th amendment referendum part 3 - Mod note and FAQ in post #1

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

RobertKK wrote: »
    Once again I respectfully ask you Robert - why are you so desperate to leave me and others like me in pain or at risk if death purely because you wish to dictate your morality to us?

I vote with my conscience, not your conscience, not someone else's conscience, my own, I will not vote for something I disagree with because someone else says I must. Yes voters will act the same way, that is democracy.

You are not left at the risk of death, which a former chairman of the institute of obstetricians and gynaecologists denied happens and who said he carried out 4 abortions under the 8th amendment to save lives and women aren't left to die.
    With Savita, it was really bad management and extremely slow to diagnose sepsis.
    Abortion being legal doesn't stop women dying. Bad practice and management is what leads to death.

Do you know that there have been times my pain has left me looking at a strip of 20 Tramadol and thinking of taking all so the pain is gone ?

I have fallen over a dozen times in recent weeks. How do I know the next fall won't be in traffic? Or I hit my head? Or at home where no one can help me?

Do not DARE to presume to limit what o and others are going through.

The 8th does not prevent abortion. They're happening. I was on a ferry three weeks ago with a young girl going to Liverpool for one.

Repealing the 8th will help people living in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well, I do think you are very wrong on your second point, but that's my opinion.

In general, I understand your pro life stance, & I respect it to the extent that you are, at least, consistent. You appear to put the unborn above everything else, & consistently. So, not a hypocrite.
    However, I do not remember any pro life movement to repeal the 13th & 14th amendments. Ever. Why is it that the prolife side just want to keep abortion out of Ireland? Even though the women have constitutional rights to information & travel for terminations?

One can't chain women to their beds simply because they are pregnant, we live in a society where everyone is free to travel unless they are under arrest by the state. Pregnant women travel and most are not travelling for an abortion, maybe it is holidays or to visit relations, or work.
    We live in the age of the internet, why try and repeal something that one can simply google, information is widely available and I don't think censorship is a good route for a nation to go down.
    I just think repealing both would be stupid as people have the right to travel if they are not under arrest, and trying to censor information is stupid unless people want the internet censored and I don't think many want that. I just think it would be pointless.
    People can travel to other countries and take drugs that are legal there and not here, but are we going to advocate every person who travels needs a drug test when they return home from a country that has legal drugs?
    I don't believe there is support for repealing things that are not practicable like censoring information and the freedom to travel when pregnant women travel and most of the time it is not for an abortion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

Most abortions in England are healthy women abortion healthy unborn lives, because they put career, their lifestyle etc ahead of the unborn life which is viewed as a problem, which would say there is something wrong in society when new life is seen as something bad.

In the future, the pro-life side will be viewed like the anti-capital punishment side is - progressive and abortion supporting advocates will be on the wrong side of history.

Most abortions in England are done on grounds of mental health.

Have you any statistics to say that it's due to career, lifestyle?

If not then you're passing opinion off as fact again Bob, and that's quite bold.

Well, I do think you are very wrong on your second point, but that's my opinion.

In general, I understand your pro life stance, & I respect it to the extent that you are, at least, consistent. You appear to put the unborn above everything else, & consistently. So, not a hypocrite.
    However, I do not remember any pro life movement to repeal the 13th & 14th amendments. Ever. Why is it that the prolife side just want to keep abortion out of Ireland? Even though the women have constitutional rights to information & travel for terminations?

One can't chain women to their beds simply because they are pregnant, we live in a society where everyone is free to travel unless they are under arrest by the state. Pregnant women travel and most are not travelling for an abortion, maybe it is holidays or to visit relations, or work.
    We live in the age of the internet, why try and repeal something that one can simply google, information is widely available and I don't think censorship is a good route for a nation to go down.
    I just think repealing both would be stupid as people have the right to travel if they are not under arrest, and trying to censor information is stupid unless people want the internet censored and I don't think many want that. I just think it would be pointless.
    People can travel to other countries and take drugs that are legal there and not here, but are we going to advocate every person who travels needs a drug test when they return home from a country that has legal drugs?
    I don't believe there is support for repealing things that are not practicable like censoring information and the freedom to travel when pregnant women travel and most of the time it is not for an abortion.

TL:DR

NIMBY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

https://www.womenonweb.org/en/page/619/abortion-laws-worldwide

Just read this article and look at the map to see how isolated we are in the developed world on this issue.
    Just ask yourself how have all these other countries got it so wrong. Are they immoral, evil, selfish or maybe they recognise that sometimes abortion is needed.
    It doesn't make it pleasant or painless but still sometimes needed.
    Look at the company we are keeping and correlate that with civil liberties and human rights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Cop out, Robert. Your principles are not principles but a desire to be protected from the sight of things. So long as you can't see it, that is fine by you. Regardless of the hardship it imposes on others. People who have to deal with reality, a reality you hide from by saying Let them get planes.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    My comments are factually correct

Any can read your previous posts on other threads and find homophobic comments from you people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones perhaps.

Do you know that there have been times my pain has left me looking at a strip of 20 Tramadol and thinking of taking all so the pain is gone ?

I have fallen over a dozen times in recent weeks. How do I know the next fall won't be in traffic? Or I hit my head? Or at home where no one can help me?

Do not DARE to presume to limit what o and others are going through.

The 8th does not prevent abortion. They're happening. I was on a ferry three weeks ago with a young girl going to Liverpool for one.

Repealing the 8th will help people living in pain.

So you are saying you are not healthy.

The constitution could be changed without it going all unrestricted, I can't vote Yes when I know what is being proposed, I can't vote Yes as I will feel guilt as I would feel complicit in allowing unrestricted abortion which is something I wholesomely disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Just going to ignore me now is it Robert?

Calina wrote: »
    Cop out, Robert. Your principles are not principles but a desire to be protected from the sight of things. So long as you can't see it, that is fine by you. Regardless of the hardship it imposes on others. People who have to deal with reality, a reality you hide from by saying Let them get planes.

You say "So long as you can't see it, that is fine by you" isn't that what some accuse pro-choice of being? They can't see the unborn so it is ok to abort.

I gave my reasons.
    Do you think censorship of abortion information would work?
    Do you think it is practicable to stop pregnant women from travelling?
    I don't to both so it is not a cop out, maybe you see different?

• Advertisement

The constitution could be changed without it going all unrestricted, I can't vote Yes when I know what is being proposed, I can't vote Yes as I will feel guilt as I would feel complicit in allowing unrestricted abortion which is something I wholesomely disagree with.

Strange how you feel guilty for feeling complicit in allowing unrestricted abortion (you are not complicit, nobody is complicit to what their vote entails), but you feel no guilt towards all the women you'll be slamming a door in the face of.

Right.

Most abortions in England are healthy women abortion healthy unborn lives, because they put career, their lifestyle etc ahead of the unborn life which is viewed as a problem, which would say there is something wrong in society when new life is seen as something bad.

In the future, the pro-life side will be viewed like the anti-capital punishment side is - progressive and abortion supporting advocates will be on the wrong side of history.

Really I only members of one group wanting to bring back the death penalty and thats the retain side via Justin Barrett.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I haven't discussed with anyone here their personal experience of abortion. I discussed it generally.
    I never tried to silence anyone discuss their personal experience, or question then on their abortion experience.
    But I have seen the hostility for posting something that doesn't go with the general narrative that the Yes side here wants and how it goes...

I don't understand why there is not more people talking and listening to people who have had abortions. In this thread you have the opportunity to discuss with someone why they had an abortion (if they feel willing to share). You can understand what goes through a woman's mind when they find themselves faced with a crisis pregnancy.

It doesn't matter if it changes your mind on how you vote, and you dont have to agree with it, but it might help you understand why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Free to travel as long as you dont go to the state for help. They sectioned a 16 year old girl, they forced a caesarean on another woman

spookwoman wrote: »
    But by voting no you are saying to others they must do as you say

As an Irish citizen I have the right to vote Yes or No, when it comes to what is in our constitution.
    I am voting for what I believe is right for this country, not what others believe, but what I believe, which every Yes and No voter will do.

January wrote: »
    So tell me this Robert, why would you deny me access to an abortion in my own country, if you're not judging me for it?

I don't believe we have to have laws in this country, because other countries have certain laws.
    You want me to judge you with the loaded question which refers to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

As an Irish citizen I have the right to vote Yes or No, when it comes to what is in our constitution.
    I am voting for what I believe is right for this country, not what others believe, but what I believe, which every Yes and No voter will do.

You are voting for what you think is right for you not your country.

JFK covered it quite eloquently in a speech.

But there are already abortions happening in this country, up to 5 women a day take abortion pills. You're not stopping abortion. One day a woman will die from taking abortion pills alone without medical supervision, what will your response be then?

I don't believe we have to have laws in this country, because other countries have certain laws.
    You want me to judge you with the loaded question which refers to you.

But we have a constitutional law that allows for women to travel for abortions... So you're not stopping abortions, you're just making them unsafe.

I don't want you to judge me, believe me. I want you to see that most women have abortions for valid reasons such as they can't afford a child (or another child), they feel they can't raise a child (or another child). We're desperate women. We are not bad women.

• Advertisement

I don't understand why there is not more people talking and listening to people who have had abortions. In this thread you have the opportunity to discuss with someone why they had an abortion (if they feel willing to share). You can understand what goes through a woman's mind when they find themselves faced with a crisis pregnancy.

It doesn't matter if it changes your mind on how you vote, and you dont have to agree with it, but it might help you understand why.

Why bother discussing with people in this thread.
    If one says anything however tiny that could be construed as being critical it would be jumped upon so I don't ask as I don't want to upset by asking personal questions about abortion, especially when it is well known how I will vote, and I know it would make it easier for something to be taken up the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You say "So long as you can't see it, that is fine by you" isn't that what some accuse pro-choice of being? They can't see the unborn so it is ok to abort.

I gave my reasons.
    Do you think censorship of abortion information would work?
    Do you think it is practicable to stop pregnant women from travelling?
    I don't to both so it is not a cop out, maybe you see different?

No but unlike you I am in favour of repealing the 8th amendment.

In 1983, abortion was illegal in the country under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act. This technically stayed on the books until a couple of years ago courtesy of the Protection of life in pregnancy legislation. What made abortion legal in Ireland was the 8th amendment simply because of the reference to the right to life of the mother. This was the basis of the X case. As a result whatever else you want to say about the 8th the truth is that it made abortion legal at a time when it was actually illegal based on an Act of parliament.

Anyone who needs to procure a termination is fully aware of the unborn. You aren't. You will never be. You cannot put yourself in their position. You cannot have the awareness that they have. You never will have the awareness they have.

I don't want to force women to travel. I would prefer they could go to their local doctors or hospital depending on their case and needs. We are not talking about whether it is practical to stop them traveling, but whether we can take away the necessity to travel by widening the ability to deal with their issues locally.

You think you don't want to stop them traveling. But you do want to compel them so you can feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Moiratat

Why bother discussing with people in this thread.
    If one says anything however tiny that could be construed as being critical it would be jumped upon so I don't ask as I don't want to upset by asking personal questions about abortion, especially when it is well known how I will vote, and I know it would make it easier for something to be taken up the wrong way.

Have you tried to see things from another perspective? If you were me, what would you have done?

But our constitution allows for unrestricted abortion, women are constitutionally protected in their right to travel to avail of abortion.
    So the constitution itself is hypocritical.
    It's not the same as doing something that's legal overseas but illegal here. It's a right in the constitution to do it, that doesn't happen with other laws.

So, why do you feel it's OK for Irish women to have abortions overseas & not in their own country?

& I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely interested in your reasoning

But we have a constitutional law that allows for women to travel for abortions... So you're not stopping abortions, you're just making them unsafe.

I don't want you to judge me, believe me. I want you to see that most women have abortions for valid reasons such as they can't afford a child (or another child), they feel they can't raise a child (or another child). We're desperate women. We are not bad women.

Should alcohol be banned because of unsafe use?
    No one is forced to pop an abortion pill, it is a choice, it happens in England illegally.
    It is like arguing cigarettes - should be legal because illegal cigarettes are more harmful than legal cigarettes, but cigarettes are legal.
    Just because it happens illegally doesn't mean it won't happen illegally if abortion was legal.

I don't view women who had an abortion as bad, I don't have to agree with the decision or with abortion. But I don't go around judging people, I know I am not perfect myself and I don't want people going around judging me, so I think it is wrong to go around judging others as bad as if I somehow was perfect. I think it is great to say positive things about people as that kind of judgment is good, but negative judgement isn't good for anyone and I am sorry that we each have judged each other as in one calling the other a liar, I don't think it is good, but then everyone gets defensive when they are called something.
    I don't think you are bad, I do wish you the best in life as we all need things to go well for us, whether we agree on things or not.

But our constitution allows for unrestricted abortion, women are constitutionally protected in their right to travel to avail of abortion.
    It's not the same as doing something that's legal overseas but illegal here. It's a right in the constitution to do it, that doesn't happen with other laws.

So, why do you feel it's OK for Irish women to have abortions overseas & not in their own country?

I believe it will normalise abortion, and rates of abortion will rise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

I have no problems with gay people at all, not like elm,it seems to repulse him

You didn't actually answer the question. Suspect nobody will believe you voted yes....

Moiratat wrote: »
    Have you tried to see things from another perspective? If you were me, what would you have done?

It doesn't change how I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This makes you homophobic

It really doesn't....
    I am gay and I don't think in anyway that is homophobic.
    I don't like to think about a man and a woman having sex either but that doesn't make me heterophobic... I hope

I believe it will normalise abortion, and rates of abortion will rise.

And you are free to believe any rubbish you wish. The fact that its been demonstrated many times in different countries that isn't true.

If you had any respect for women and what they go through during a pregnancy be it a crisis pregnancy or not, it'd change how you feel.

But you don't have any respect for them, so it won't.

• Advertisement

No but unlike you I am in favour of repealing the 8th amendment.

In 1983, abortion was illegal in the country under the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act. This technically stayed on the books until a couple of years ago courtesy of the Protection of life in pregnancy legislation. What made abortion legal in Ireland was the 8th amendment simply because of the reference to the right to life of the mother. This was the basis of the X case. As a result whatever else you want to say about the 8th the truth is that it made abortion legal at a time when it was actually illegal based on an Act of parliament.

Anyone who needs to procure a termination is fully aware of the unborn. You aren't. You will never be. You cannot put yourself in their position. You cannot have the awareness that they have. You never will have the awareness they have.

I don't want to force women to travel. I would prefer they could go to their local doctors or hospital depending on their case and needs. We are not talking about whether it is practical to stop them traveling, but whether we can take away the necessity to travel by widening the ability to deal with their issues locally.

You think you don't want to stop them traveling. But you do want to compel them so you can feel good.

The last bit is your opinion. I don't need to feel good. I need to vote on what I believe is the right thing thing, we don't agree with is a right we both have.

If you had any respect for women and what they go through during a pregnancy be it a crisis pregnancy or not, it'd change how you feel.

But you don't have any respect for them, so it won't.

That is a horrible thing to say. Just because you had a family member who did, I had too and I can have my own opinion without the crap you put in about respect.

Should alcohol be banned because of unsafe use?
    No one is forced to pop an abortion pill, it is a choice, it happens in England illegally.
    It is like arguing cigarettes - should be legal because illegal cigarettes are more harmful than legal cigarettes, but cigarettes are legal.
    Just because it happens illegally doesn't mean it won't happen illegally if abortion was legal.

I don't view women who had an abortion as bad, I don't have to agree with the decision or with abortion. But I don't go around judging people, I know I am not perfect myself and I don't want people going around judging me, so I think it is wrong to go around judging others as bad as if I somehow was perfect. I think it is great to say positive things about people as that kind of judgment is good, but negative judgement isn't good for anyone and I am sorry that we each have judged each other as in one calling the other a liar, I don't think it is good, but then everyone gets defensive when they are called something.
    I don't think you are bad, I do wish you the best in life as we all need things to go well for us, whether we agree on things or not.

I can't. I just can't Robert, I'd like to wish you well in your life but you're here stamping all over my right as a woman to decide whether to continue with a pregnancy or not. So I can't. I hope you can forgive me for that.

That is a horrible thing to say. Just because you had a family member who did, I had too and I can have my own opinion without the crap you put in about respect.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

It's also a horrible thing to say most women in the UK have abortions for career and lifestyle purposes without a shred of evidence to back up your claim other than your outright horrific view of women who seek abortions.

And you are free to believe any rubbish you wish. The fact that its been demonstrated many times in different countries that isn't true.

You are free to believe rubbish too but maybe you are blinkered to it, if you think only the side you disagree with believes in rubbish.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

I know it hurts that you failed to convince me to vote Yes.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

It's also a horrible thing to say most women in the UK have abortions for career and lifestyle purposes without a shred of evidence to back up your claim other than your outright horrific view of women who seek abortions.

It is fact, look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Moiratat

But what would have done if you were me?

I know it hurts that you failed to convince me to vote Yes.

I couldn't give a toss about convincing you to vote Yes.

Does it hurt trying to convince yourself women who seek abortions are nasty creatures who do it willy nilly to further their career and suit their lifestyle?

I've evidence to back up my claims Bob, all you do is lie and whinge when you're confronted about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,988 ✭✭✭spookwoman

It is fact, look it up.
    Fact is not all women want to have children and just because we have a womb doesn't mean we have to be have em

• Advertisement

It is fact, look it up.

97% of abortions in the UK are on mental health grounds, this is fact.

Are you of the opinion that these are done for career/lifestyle choice, or do you have any statistics to back up your claims?

I can't. I just can't Robert, I'd like to wish you well in your life but you're here stamping all over my right as a woman to decide whether to continue with a pregnancy or not. So I can't. I hope you can forgive me for that.

I still wish you the best. I don''t have to forgive you for anything, but maybe you should ignore me if that helps you.

You are free to believe rubbish too but maybe you are blinkered to it, if you think only the side you disagree with believes in rubbish.

It's like trying to reason with treacle. I give up.

Truth hurts, doesn't it?

It is fact, look it up.

I'm assuming on www.spuc.org.uk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I still wish you the best. I don''t have to forgive you for anything, but maybe you should ignore me if that helps you.

This pretty much sums up your attitude.

Smacks of “I’m all right jack”

Unfortunately she can’t ignore you because you have a say in her healthcare.

Your willful ignorance to this is astounding, but other people’s pain and suffering is ok.

I won't ignore you, I'll continue to counteract when you post misleading information so that anyone genuinely on the fence will see the actual facts.

I couldn't give a toss about convincing you to vote Yes.

Does it hurt trying to convince yourself women who seek abortions are nasty creatures who do it willy nilly to further their career and suit their lifestyle?

I've evidence to back up my claims Bob, all you do is lie and whinge when you're confronted about it.

It does hurt, or you wouldn't feel the need to constantly question, and try and put me down by saying I don't respect women, lie, whinge etc.

Just keep your negativity to yourself please, I had enough of it. You failed to convince with your 'evidence'.

I won't ignore you, I'll continue to counteract when you post misleading information so that anyone genuinely on the fence will see the actual facts.

I am not misleading anyone. I am just a No voter, which automatically makes me wrong in your eyes.

amcalester wrote: »
    This pretty much sums up your attitude.

Smacks of “I’m all right jack”

Unfortunately she can’t ignore you because you have a say in her healthcare.

Your willful ignorance to this is astounding, but other people’s pain and suffering is ok.

Most abortions are not healthcare.

• Advertisement

It does hurt, or you wouldn't feel the need to constantly question, and try and put me down by saying I don't respect women, lie, whinge etc.

Just keep your negativity to yourself please, I had enough of it. You failed to convince with your 'evidence'.

Doesn't hurt at all Bob, it's my duty to pick apart all the lies you tell.

I haven't failed with my evidence at all, yet you've seemed to failed to produce ANY evidence to support your fantastical claims.

Women have had enough of your misogyny, could you keep that to yourself instead of projecting it onto them for seeking an abortion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement