Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse question

Options
  • 30-04-2018 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

Have been living in this house for 2 years and use the immersion hardly ever. Switched it on this morning and the fuse tripped. Looks like the immersion needs to be replaced.
    However, I noticed that the tripped fuse meant that all sockets in the living room and the electricity supply to the indoor boiler were off, too. Surely that can't be right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Have been living in this house for 2 years and use the immersion hardly ever. Switched it on this morning and the fuse tripped. Looks like the immersion needs to be replaced.
    However, I noticed that the tripped fuse meant that all sockets in the living room and the electricity supply to the indoor boiler were off, too. Surely that can't be right?

When you say fuse I presume it not actually a fuse and it's either an MCB or an RCD as you say it's tripped(Fuses blow and can't be reset). Do you know which it is?
    Why do you assume the immersion needs to be replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

aido79 wrote: »
    When you say fuse I presume it not actually a fuse and it's either an MCB or an RCD as you say it's tripped(Fuses blow and can't be reset). Do you know which it is?
    Why do you assume the immersion needs to be replaced?

Thanks, just googled MCB and RCD and it is an MCB that tripped.
    I don't know much about electrical stuff, but as switching on the immersion causes the MCB to trip, I would have thought that it is faulty.
    As I said before, we rarely use it. Hadn't been switched on since sometime last summer. No problem then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

If sockets went off as well, normally it would be assumed its the RCD that tripped.

If it is an MCB that has tripped, sockets and immersion are on one circuit, which is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It must be an RCCB which tripped going by the initial description.

Thanks, just googled MCB and RCD and it is an MCB that tripped.
    I don't know much about electrical stuff, but as switching on the immersion causes the MCB to trip, I would have thought that it is faulty.
    As I said before, we rarely use it. Hadn't been switched on since sometime last summer. No problem then.

It is unlikely that it's an MCB as stated above. Can you post a picture or some details like the C rating or the mA rating from front of the device?
    It may be a faulty element but even immersions in good working order can sometimes cause nuisance tripping in RCD's or RCCB's. How old is your immersion?

• Advertisement

It is unlikely that it's an MCB as stated above. Can you post a picture or some details like the C rating or the mA rating from front of the device?
    It may be a faulty element but even immersions in good working order can sometimes cause nuisance tripping in RCD's or RCCB's. How old is your immersion?

Can't see any rating info. There is a sticker on top of the immersion, but it's completely faded. The house is approx. 15 years old, the immersion is more than likely the same age. There is quite a bit of rust visible, where the element goes into the tank. Probably best to get it replaced.

Can't see any rating info. There is a sticker on top of the immersion, but it's completely faded. The house is approx. 15 years old, the immersion is more than likely the same age. There is quite a bit of rust visible, where the element goes into the tank. Probably best to get it replaced.

I was talking about the rating of the device thats tripping to determine if it's an RCD or an RCCB.
    Also remove the cover from the electrical connections on the immersion(with the power off) to check for rust around there. That may be the reason it's tripping.

I was talking about the rating of the device thats tripping to determine if it's an RCD or an RCCB.
    Also remove the cover from the electrical connections on the immersion(with the power off) to check for rust around there. That may be the reason it's tripping.

Oh, sorry! It's the bigger black switch on the left that comes down.

Oh, sorry! It's the bigger black switch on the left that comes down.

It's an RCD so.

Advertisement