Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop not performing as advertised

Options
  • 30-04-2018 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭

Hey:

A macbook was bought online from Irish Apple store - should have (as advertised) 10 hours battery life.

The laptop runs for approx 2hours. Support was contacted, and all diagnosis steps followed (running minimal apps etc). Support confirmed settings etc are ok and should be getting closer to 10 hours. They advised to take it to an Apple store (nearest is Belfast - in a different country!)

This doesn't seem right - surely the contract to purchase is with Apple Ireland and they should do something more to remedy / investigate the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

New or Refurb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The contract is with where you bought it from. Sometimes it is easier to deal with the manufacturer directly, but the responsbility still lies with the retailer.

However you don't have to bring it to an actual Apple Centre, should be able to bring it to an authorised repair agent either.

That's assuming it was bought new. If it was bought refurbished or as 2nd hand, there are no options except to ask for a refund/replacement really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Its a brand new Apple Macbook, bought from apple online store 1 week ago. Support staff telling the purchaser to go to Belfast seems crazy - especially for an almost 4000€ machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There would be an authorised repairer closer most likely unless you live in a very remote area.

How long ago did you buy it? Within a certain timeframe you can just outright request a refund from them.

They are also liable for return postage costs in this scenario.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I recently bought a refurb Macbook Pro 13" 2017 model.

After a good 4 hours of working on it it was still at about 30% so I was quite happy. I didn't expect it to get anywhere near 10 hours as they always overstate the battery performance by testing it under minimal usage intensity, but I was definitely happy with how long it run for.

Were you doing something like watching video with the volume up high? e.g streaming Netflix?

It might also be that with a new machine it's got more stuff running in the background in the first few hours of usage, so that could be it also (not definite on this but I swear I heard it in relation to phones at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

km991148 wrote: »
    Hey:

A macbook was bought online from Irish Apple store - should have (as advertised) 10 hours battery life.

The laptop runs for approx 2hours. Support was contacted, and all diagnosis steps followed (running minimal apps etc). Support confirmed settings etc are ok and should be getting closer to 10 hours. They advised to take it to an Apple store (nearest is Belfast - in a different country!)

This doesn't seem right - surely the contract to purchase is with Apple Ireland and they should do something more to remedy / investigate the issue?

Where are you based OP?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Apple have a 14 day no quibble returns policy. You won’t get 10 hours, but you should get 5 or 6 anyway with brightness down, etc.

I dont do macs - it was a friend and she has had plenty of them over the years. macbooks do seem to get a lot closer to 10 hours than other laptops.

It seem that there was a dodgy process constantly running, so maybe not a hardware issue after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

A dodgy process that shipped with it, or something that was installed by the user?

• Advertisement

seagull wrote: »
    A dodgy process that shipped with it, or something that was installed by the user?

Nah some Adobe cloud sync sh!te installed after purchase.

Advertisement