Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extending laptop to two external monitors via one HDMI port

Options
  • 30-04-2018 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭

My laptop has one HDMI output, but I want to extend the screens to two monitors via a HDMI splitter or similar.

I need to pick it up a lunchtime today in Dublin city center.

Is this something I can pick up easily in a Dealz shop or need to go Maplin or similar??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

mrcheez wrote: »
    My laptop has one HDMI output, but I want to extend the screens to two monitors via a HDMI splitter or similar.

I'd suspect that splitter would only let you replicate the same image on both screens.
    Typically a laptop can support it's own screen plus an extend to another external screen.

Someone else can correct me, because I'm vague here but I imagine if you needed a laptop to extend to two external screens (as opposed to replicating the same screen) then you'd need an external (maybe usb powered) graphics card to drive the other screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ah really? nuts. I have a USB monitor cable (USB 3.0 A to USB 2.0 B) as well, but it doesn't appear to detect the monitor despite me putting it into my USB 3.0 ports.

Do I need to get a driver for using the USB cable?!

Running Windows 10 so would assume no need.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ah really? nuts. I have a USB monitor cable (USB 3.0 A to USB 2.0 B) as well, but it doesn't appear to detect the monitor

What monitor?

ED E wrote: »
    What monitor?

Lenovo ThinkVision

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lenovo ThinkVision

Thats a passthrough! Its not for the image, just connecting mice/keyboards through the monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Easiest way to connect 2 monitors with only 1 hdmi port is one of these

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not the cheapest option but a docking station/port replication will do exactly what you want, tru to find one one ebay for cheap with two hdmi outs.

ED E wrote: »
    Thats a passthrough! Its not for the image, just connecting mice/keyboards through the monitor.

ah right! :pac:

Advertisement