Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone help a luddite?

• 30-04-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all

Im hoping one of you with some expertise can help me please

Im a relatively new convert to a Mac and I have a couple of things that I would like to be able to do if someone could give me some guidance

1) I type quite quickly and I often find that I type the word "the" as "teh". Ive tried really hard to stop my fingers from doing it but it now seems habitual and I have to go back through any document email or contribution on websites to find all teh instances where Ive done it (Ive just spotted I did it in that last sentence)
    Is there any way I can set my Mac so that it automatically corrects my stupid typo rather than going back through everything I type? or perhaps just change it once so it automatically changes ALL examples in that document would be an improvement

2) Since turning to a Mac Im no longer able to post pictures to forums like boards, I used to do it a lot and it has inhibited my contributions. Im sure Im missing something obvious but all I used to have to do was locate and copy the URL? address and most times the picture would appear. Im struggling to find the URL? address using teh Mac mouse as it doesnt have the same functionality as my old right click on my PC. Can anyone help? (Yes I spotted the use of teh in the last sentence too, but its pissing me off now so Im not changing teh b*****d, or that one.

Thanks

BBDBB

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

I think I have a few solutions...

On Windows I use PhraseExpress (link to Mac version), but I think you need to purchase a license after a while. That is, it's "freemium". But it's a great program that autocorrects misspellings (?)

For the second issue, you can turn on right click by going in to your Settings - Trackpad - use the bottom right for right click.

The CMD button will also work as your shortcuts for copy / paste (cmd + c, cmd + v).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

BBDBB wrote: »
    I type quite quickly and I often find that I type the word "the" as "teh". Ive tried really hard to stop my fingers from doing it but it now seems habitual and I have to go back through any document email or contribution on websites to find all teh instances where Ive done it (Ive just spotted I did it in that last sentence)
    Is there any way I can set my Mac so that it automatically corrects my stupid typo rather than going back through everything I type? or perhaps just change it once so it automatically changes ALL examples in that document would be an improvement

teh (the) and fro (for) are problematic for me too.

My solution is simply to add them to the built in autocorrect.
    1. Open System Preferences.
    2. Click Keyboard.
    3. Click the Text tab.
    4. Choose your preferred autocorrect language from the drop-down menu under Spelling.
    5. Check the "Correct spelling automatically" box.
    6. In the column on the right hand side, add your misspelling (teh) and the corrected word (the)

Once done, any instances of teh will be automatically corrected as you type.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Thanks both thats really helpful

test the the the

Thats brilliant Mike, thank you

Advertisement