Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50cc Motorbike...why arent more people using them?

Options
  • 30-04-2018 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hi all

Newbie to the biking.

Just bought myself a smashing little motorbike, a 50 CC Chinese Clone of the Honda ss50. 4 speed with clutch.

Super little thing, looks nice and retro, and goes ok, for a 50cc. Its not the fastest but gets along. (Obviously prefer more power, but it will do)

Dont understand why more peole arent using little things like this for the commute. The traffic is killing me.

Better than a moped, look a bit more impressive I think.

Insurance €209 with Carol Nash.

On the road including VRT and courier from the UK for only €1400 Brand new.

Can drive on car license.

Image attached. https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipNduDQywhgNCGSO_XI5en__BysXr0s-5Vn84NLH

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Feels like someone is selling these ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

listermint wrote: »

Probably loads of places selling them. Definitely in the UK, OP bought his there ðŸ™႒

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

dermatrov wrote: »

Thoughts?

Hammond Lane

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭dermatrov

Hi there.

Yes, you can add "AM" to the B license for free, and can drive 50cc's. I added it last year when I was etting one of the new credit card licences

Easy way back on the road.

Cheers

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Not selling it, i just bought it.

Got it from a garage in Milton Keynes
    listermint wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I reckon Dermatov could be an agent. Google image rather than a pic of your own bike

http://www.cheapbikesrus.co.uk/2017-ss50-retro-1960-s-1970s-moped-50cc-motorcycle/

Max Speed restricted to 45KMH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

gctest50 wrote: »
    Max Speed restricted to 45KMH

Easily overcome I'd imagine..

jca wrote: »
    Easily overcome I'd imagine..

Then it's not a moped any more - you need a proper bike licence for it

• Advertisement

My own bike is on a link in the post. I bought the silver one

I am not an agent. Just a customer. That is the garage I bought mine from alright. Seen it for sale on ebay.
    GBX wrote: »
    I reckon Dermatov could be an agent. Google image rather than a pic of your own bike

http://www.cheapbikesrus.co.uk/2017-ss50-retro-1960-s-1970s-moped-50cc-motorcycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

GBX wrote: »

It's easier to link an image than, take a photo, create an image hosting account and upload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

I thought you needed a motorbike licence for mopeds now?

Full spec sent to axa and Carol Nash who both listed it.

Not insured as a moped, insured as a motorbike as it has gears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dermatrov wrote:
    I am not an agent. Just a customer. That is the garage I bought mine from alright. Seen it for sale on ebay.

How do you find it so far?

You do if you didnt have a car license before 2006
    Greyling wrote: »
    I thought you needed a motorbike licence for mopeds now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Unless you live in a city a 50cc bike will be a chore to drive anywhere. I live rural and the thought of driving one of them from my house into town gives me palpitations. Grand for city commutes but I still wouldnt like one but I would rather the tried and true gn125 which is cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Greyling

Bought unrestricted.. Full spec sent to axa and Carol Nash who both listed it. Anyone over 17 they will unrestrict it.

Not insures as a moped, insured as a motorbike as it has gears.

No use to me as I only have my full licence 4 years.

Still running it in, so not gunning it, but it will do the job for driving into work. Just drove it on Friday and took 20 minutes off my communte, so happy enough.

Its obviously gutless. it is only 50cc, but it counds good, and not like a hair dryer :)

In town its fine, on the back roads its slow. It hates going uphill (I am 16.5 stone :), but LOVES going downhill LOL

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    How do you find it so far?

I hear you. I will no doubt get a bigger bike, once I apply for the learner. this will do in the interim.

Rory28 wrote: »
    Unless you live in a city a 50cc bike will be a chore to drive anywhere. I live rural and the thought of driving one of them from my house into town gives me palpitations. Grand for city commutes but I still wouldnt like one but I would rather the tried and true gn125 which is cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

I hear you. I will no doubt get a bigger bike, once I apply for the learner. this will do in the interim.

Have to start somewhere man. You will still get a lot of fun out it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I too am surprised by how few mopeds there are around now compared to 15 years ago however I think the requirements now to do a separate moped test will see the numbers of theses drop even further as the investment needed to ride one will see them lose what appeal they had. For many in the target market an electric bike would suffice and they don't need a test. You will see something similar with caravans over the next few years as the target market will not have the licenses to drive them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

dermatrov wrote:
    Still running it in, so not gunning it, but it will do the job for driving into work. Just drove it on Friday and took 20 minutes off my communte, so happy enough.

Thanks for the reply. Looking to leave the car at home and don't fancy public transport or a moped.

No license needed for an electric bike. Really? Are they legal then? Can you insure them?

AlanG wrote: »
    I too am surprised by how few mopeds there are around now compared to 15 years ago however I think the requirements now to do a separate moped test will see the numbers of theses drop even further as the investment needed to ride one will see them lose what appeal they had. For many in the target market an electric bike would suffice and they don't need a test. You will see something similar with caravans over the next few years as the target market will not have the licenses to drive them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

No license needed for an electric bike. Really? Are they legal then? Can you insure them?

That only applies to pedelecs which are bicycles that assist you, not power themselves.

If it has a throttle its an MPV and requires a licence, tax and insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hi all

Newbie to the biking.

Just bought myself a smashing little motorbike, a 50 CC Chinese Clone of the Honda ss50.

Super little thing, looks nice and retro, and goes ok, for a 50cc. Does 50 MPH downhill, and trundles along at 40MPH through the traffic. (Obviously prefer more power, but it will do)

Dont understand why more peole arent using little things like this for the commute. The traffic is killing me.

Better than a moped, look a bit more impressive I think.

Insurance €209 with Carol Nash.

On the road including VRT and courier from the UK for only €1400 Brand new.

Can drive on car license.

Image attached. https://photos.google.com/u/1/photo/AF1QipNduDQywhgNCGSO_XI5en__BysXr0s-5Vn84NLH

Thoughts?

You just wasted €209 there. You aren't licenced to ride a bike that goes over 45km/h on a moped licence so your insurance is void, doesn't matter that they took your money if anything happens they'll check and your insurance will be void* as its always the operators job to make sure that they are correctly licenced and insured.

*3rd party will still be covered but the insurance company can sue you to recover the payout, apparently they are starting to do this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Del2005 wrote: »
    You just wasted €209 there. You aren't licenced to ride a bike that goes over 45km/h on a moped licence so your insurance is void, doesn't matter that they took your money if anything happens they'll check and your insurance will be void* as its always the operators job to make sure that they are correctly licenced and insured.

*3rd party will still be covered but the insurance company can sue you to recover the payout, apparently they are starting to do this now.

Also an "M" licence doesn't cover a motorcycle that has gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭SCOL

Does an AM cover you ?

Yes, checked with the insurance company. Once the bike is 49cc. Having gears or not doesnt come into it.

they took 2 weeks researching the bike before listing it but have listed it now.

SCOL wrote: »
    Does an AM cover you ?

• Advertisement

Full spec sent to insurance company, and they checked it out before quoting.
    (with the distributor in the UK and via a chinese website).
    Del2005 wrote: »

Advertisement