Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child Maintenance

• 30-04-2018 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I got married earlier this year and my wife has a 12 year old boy. His dad and my wife had an on off relationship until I came along a few years ago. Until then my wife and her son were living at home with her parents. Now my wife and her son live with me. His dad has never paid an child maintenance, has given him birthday and christmas presents and only sees him at Christmas (the dad lives in UK and doesn't make any effort to contact him or see him other than Christmas).

I was shocked when I was told the dad has virtually nothing to do with his son besides Christmas and his birthday presents.

My wife is planning for her sons college and asked his dad to start giving money so there is a fund built up when he starts college. He refused point blank so we are looking at the legal route.

Is the dad legally obliged to pay maintenance? I am thinking we have a very very strong case against him as he hasn't paid a cent in maintenance ever. We will get a solicitor but just want to know has anyone any advice to give?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You should go to a solicitor or a FLAC centre near you. https://www.flac.ie/help/centres/ Select your county from the drop down.

As to weather he is obliged my answer is yes, he most definitely is obliged to pay.

Advertisement