Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnel growing questions.

Options
  • 30-04-2018 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭

So with nighttime temps dipping to -1 last night and similar for a few nights.

When is it safe to buy tomato and similar to plant into grow bags in the tunnel.
    This is our first year so we’re on a steep learning curve. We’re at 220m and exposed, bedding plants can get frosted well thorough may here.

Temperature control is an even steeper learning curve, while I was away one day the temperature exceeded the 55c on my thermometer and damaged quite a few seedlings.
    I’ve got an auto opener got for the window, but I’m not sure if a window open one end will control it enough. With the window open today it was 35c.

Watering is currently by hose/can but I’ve been looking at simple irrigation online and that is the plan over the next few weeks.

All, and I mean all advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

_Brian wrote: »
    So with nighttime temps dipping to -1 last night and similar for a few nights.

When is it safe to buy tomato and similar to plant into grow bags in the tunnel.
    This is our first year so we’re on a steep learning curve. We’re at 220m and exposed, bedding plants can get frosted well thorough may here.

Temperature control is an even steeper learning curve, while I was away one day the temperature exceeded the 55c on my thermometer and damaged quite a few seedlings.
    I’ve got an auto opener got for the window, but I’m not sure if a window open one end will control it enough. With the window open today it was 35c.

Watering is currently by hose/can but I’ve been looking at simple irrigation online and that is the plan over the next few weeks.

All, and I mean all advice appreciated.

My second year and yes, it is a steep learning curve.

On sunny days a window is not sufficient, you will need both doors open to keep temps down. Even with one door open I've been getting temps of 30C in the last week, so both doors open now on sunny days. You need ventilation also to prevent humidity building up, which is not good for plant health.

I lost a couple of tomato plants over the weekend, they were leggy seedlings I grew myself so not sure if they died from frost or were already too weak. We had frost again this morning but nothing new seems to have died. I planted tomatoes out in the tunnel over a week ago.

I have ordered all the bit I need for an irrigation system and should have that tomorrow so installing it this week. Watering can take a LOT of time if doing it by hand, and you are really restricted for the growing season re going away for a few days or more. Hopefully the irrigation system sorts that problem.

Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

For ventilation on sunny days have both ends of the polytunnel open early so that temps don't rise too quickly.

For frosty nights and low temperatures use horticultural fleece to cover seedlings and susceptible plants

You could also use a small propagation tunnel at bench height inside the polytunnel to protect young tomato plants etc. These can be opened during the day and / or shaded using green windbreak mesh cut to size. They are fairly easy to make using bendable plastic pipe and polythene etc

Place tomatoes and other susceptible plants away from the tunnel ends if you are in a exposed or windy location. On sunny days the temps inside the poly tunnel will just be about bareable. Tomatoes etc will handle the temps fine once they have enough water.

For irrigation get one of the micro watering pipe kits and set up a timer on your tap to water at set intervals. The irrigation kits allow water to be delivered to the base of the plant so no worries about water getting on the leaves and causing problems.

Young tomato plants should be planted up into bigger pots before planting into the ground etc. A handy method is to plant directly into tomato pots to develop roots and once soil temperature etc is good - plant pot and all directly into the soil. This makes feeding and watering the plant fairly easy. I am at 130m asl and have my young tomato plants on propagation bench's atm and covered with fleece at night. They appear to be doing well. I am hoping for a bumper crop this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Thanks.
    Just this evening I moved whatever seedlings are tuere away from the end so that should help.

I’ve fitted an auto opener to a window on one end and have the window on the other sheltered end open. I’ll see how that goes.

I plant to buy some tomato/cucumber/pepper plants next week for the grow bags.
    My tomato seedlings are looking better now but they are small and late and it’s more a test to leave them growing rather than intending them to become anything.

Strawberries are doing well with plenty of flowers and fresh healthy growth.
    We’ve planted herbs which are germinating now too.

What about the watering trays for under grow bags ??

I have a few and I’m using them for standing pots on for watering.

Are they a good job under grow bags ?

Thanks.
    Just this evening I moved whatever seedlings are tuere away from the end so that should help.

I’ve fitted an auto opener to a window on one end and have the window on the other sheltered end open. I’ll see how that goes.

I plant to buy some tomato/cucumber/pepper plants next week for the grow bags.
    My tomato seedlings are looking better now but they are small and late and it’s more a test to leave them growing rather than intending them to become anything.

Strawberries are doing well with plenty of flowers and fresh healthy growth.
    We’ve planted herbs which are germinating now too.

Sounds like you're well on your way there. Lots of potential for the summer :)

Not too sure what you mean regarding the windows? Do you have a door at each end of the polyunnel? I would always keep at least one door fully open during the day and on hot summer days have both fully open for ventilation.

Tbh the weather has been sufficiently cold that it is only really starting to be suitable now for planting on of young tomatoes plants to their final positions .

I wouldn't worry about your tomatoes being late tbh. I personally would always leave off planting to tomatoes in final growing position until the month of May. It helps to plant them up in pots first to ensure the plants are well developed / protected and to plant on- only when the weather improves.

As for trays under growbags - they won't do any harm but you can also use growbags in a PT without them especially if you set up a good irrigation system.

Peppers prefer slightly drier and less humid conditions than tomatoes in my experience. Strawberries sound like they are coming on nicely - how have you planted your them?

• Advertisement

Any pics Brian? Always nice to see other people's setup...

Here, I took a few pics but it’s nothing much as it’s new.

Heated seed starter bench I made.
    https://ibb.co/fqzAW7

Window over each door.
    https://ibb.co/itZzPS

Strawberries on shelves, three varieties.
    https://ibb.co/mSJZPS

Daughters herbs and some seedlings coming on.
    https://ibb.co/kP7NB7

https://ibb.co/bK48jS

Overall, still quite empty, have auto opener fitted to the window above that door.
    https://ibb.co/iii7dn

The grow bags were on sale, €2 each.
    We plan a vine up along roof (in time)

Our soil is shallow and mostly clay so we covered it for the moment. Have some patio slabs to make a path down the centre.

Here, I took a few pics but it’s nothing much as it’s new.

Heated seed starter bench I made.
    https://ibb.co/fqzAW7

Window over each door.
    https://ibb.co/itZzPS

Strawberries on shelves, three varieties.
    https://ibb.co/mSJZPS

Daughters herbs and some seedlings coming on.
    https://ibb.co/kP7NB7

https://ibb.co/bK48jS

Overall, still quite empty, have auto opener fitted to the window above that door.
    https://ibb.co/iii7dn

The grow bags were on sale, €2 each.
    We plan a vine up along roof (in time)

Our soil is shallow and mostly clay so we covered it for the moment. Have some patio slabs to make a path down the centre.

Ok so it's a hard shell polytunnel - very nice!

On hot days make sure the doors are fully open - not just the windows- otherwise your plants will cook.

My commiserations on your clay soil - I have clay soil that is like concrete and not great for growing things but a decade and a half of hard work and manure has largely fixed that ...

A trailer load of well rotted manure this autumn will improve the soil and the fact that you've already used weedlock will mean putting it down won't be a huge problem. Come next Spring the worms will have helped work it into the soil.

Edit: ^ this in raised beds

gozunda wrote: »
    Ok so it's a hard shell polytunnel - very nice!

On hot days make sure the doors are fully open - not just the windows- otherwise your plants will cook.

My commiserations on your clay soil - I have clay soil that is like concrete and not great for growing things but a decade and a half of hard work and manure has largely fixed that ...

A trailer load of well rotted manure this autumn will improve the soil and the fact that you've already used weedlock will mean putting it down won't be a huge problem. Come next Spring the worms will have helped work it into the soil.

We have a shelf of hard blue rock 6-7 inches under the soil so it’s iseless for growing into. I plan to make some raised beds over the winter.

We went for polycarbonate as we have cats and two friends had terrible experiences with their cats shredding their tunnels.

Nice! Great to have a blank canvas and start from weed-free scratch...

If you have clay soil raised beds will be the best option. Also easier to work with, less bending down!

Get a thermometer, it will show you just how hot it gets without at least one door open. On a sunny day in April I got 31C with one door open. Imagine what it would be in June/July. Both doors open on warm days or you'll bake your plants.

How is the shelving fixed? Looks very handy...

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Nice! Great to have a blank canvas and start from weed-free scratch...

If you have clay soil raised beds will be the best option. Also easier to work with, less bending down!

Get a thermometer, it will show you just how hot it gets without at least one door open. On a sunny day in April I got 31C with one door open. Imagine what it would be in June/July. Both doors open on warm days or you'll bake your plants.

How is the shelving fixed? Looks very handy...

There are little support bars at every hoop, just 2*1 scraps sitting on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭cuculainn

We have a shelf of hard blue rock 6-7 inches under the soil so it’s iseless for growing into. I plan to make some raised beds over the winter.

We went for polycarbonate as we have cats and two friends had terrible experiences with their cats shredding their tunnels.

Hi could you tell me where you got the PC tunnel. Looking to take the plunge at some stage soon.

Great looking job btw

cuculainn wrote: »
    Hi could you tell me where you got the PC tunnel. Looking to take the plunge at some stage soon.

Great looking job btw

KSB Greenhouse on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Just a question as I don't have a clue of the answer, but would the idea not be to keep the bottom of the tunnel closed? Or maybe you are going to do that.

Saw that ad on FB for these tunnels and was tempted, are they strong? The frame and the polycarbonate?

Just a question as I don't have a clue of the answer, but would the idea not be to keep the bottom of the tunnel closed? Or maybe you are going to do that.

Saw that ad on FB for these tunnels and was tempted, are they strong? The frame and the polycarbonate?

You don't want your tunnel getting too hot or too humid. Humidity encourages fungal diseases, too much heat stresses the plants. A bad combination. In summer, a window over the door is not sufficient to get air circulating, you would have doors open at either end to let air through except on very windy days.

As you build the frame it strengthens, when complete I was able to do pull-ups on the arches, (well one anyway)

The 4mm poly is good across the round, but for the end walks I’d opt for 6 or even 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Zzippy wrote: »
    You don't want your tunnel getting too hot or too humid. Humidity encourages fungal diseases, too much heat stresses the plants. A bad combination. In summer, a window over the door is not sufficient to get air circulating, you would have doors open at either end to let air through except on very windy days.

Would the gap at the bottom not encourage slugs and other pests? I understand about windows and temp.

Would the gap at the bottom not encourage slugs and other pests? I understand about windows and temp.

Slugs are going to get in anyway. They will find any gap. They will crawl all over the cover and find an open window, or their eggs may be in soil you bring in. You need pollinators to come into the tunnel too. Controlling temperature and humidity is far too important to worry about slugs. A few evening patrols with a torch and picking them off will keep them under control, and there are other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I has slugs destroying my plants ! Very nasty experience.
    Used "nemaslugs" and got them under control,these days if i see maybe one at night im "lucky".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

You will get more useable fruit from your strawberries if you spread some straw under them to keep them off the ground and stop them rotting. They're not called strawberries for nothing :)
    Bum a couple of sacks of it from a local farmer.
    P.S. In German they are Earthberries (Erdbeeren), they don't harvest so many of them:)

You will get more useable fruit from your strawberries if you spread some straw under them to keep them off the ground and stop them rotting. They're not called strawberries for nothing :)
    Bum a couple of sacks of it from a local farmer.
    P.S. In German they are Earthberries (Erdbeeren), they don't harvest so many of them:)

I put in drip irrigation last week and then used offcuts of weed membrane to cover the soil underneath the strawberries so they are dry and off the soil. Used straw last year and found slugs loved hiding underneath and coming up for a munch at night time.

Advertisement