Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheep fecal sample

• 30-04-2018 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭

Good afternoon folks,

Can anyone tell me what’s the max a fecal sample can be out of the fridge?

Took sample last night, but forgot to put it into the fridge, so was out all day. I believe that it should have been put into the fridge straight after...

I don’t want to base a worm count on a potentially dodgy sample.

Second question - how long will it be ok for? I won’t get it to the vet now til tomorrow morning (it’s in the fridge now, for all the good it might do) ;)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Good afternoon folks,

Can anyone tell me what’s the max a fecal sample can be out of the fridge?

Took sample last night, but forgot to put it into the fridge, so was out all day. I believe that it should have been put into the fridge straight after...

I don’t want to base a worm count on a potentially dodgy sample.

Second question - how long will it be ok for? I won’t get it to the vet now til tomorrow morning (it’s in the fridge now, for all the good it might do) ;)

Thanks.

OH does FECs, some farmers post them to her so they're out 24 hrs, they're sent in bubble wrap so might be insulated......24 hrs would be as long as they last out of a fridge....whether you stopped the deterioration of the sample in the fridge I don't know.
    Probably better to do it again
    It's not hard to do in the field by standing and watching for the lambs dunging and then picking them up....a marble size amount each from ten lambs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    OH does FECs, some farmers post them to her so they're out 24 hrs, they're sent in bubble wrap so might be insulated......24 hrs would be as long as they last out of a fridge....whether you stopped the deterioration of the sample in the fridge I don't know.
    Probably better to do it again
    It's not hard to do in the field by standing and watching for the lambs dunging and then picking them up....a marble size amount each from ten lambs

Fair play to your OH for diversifying!

Does she take in samples from all over or just within certain geographic radius of your place?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Fair play to your OH for diversifying!

Does she take in samples from all over or just within certain geographic radius of your place?

Just does our producer group, tenner a sample and gives the money to Bothar.
    She sends a split sample to teagasc a couple times a year to compare that she's doing it right,
    If she's here when they deliver it they'd have the result texted to them before they get home

Just does our producer group, tenner a sample and gives the money to Bothar.
    She sends a split sample to teagasc a couple times a year to compare that she's doing it right,
    If she's here when they deliver it they'd have the result texted to them before they get home

Nice thing to do, sending the cash to Bother - fair play to her.

Does she use a homemade lab or is it a kit?

And feel free to tell me to mind my own business!

Nice thing to do, sending the cash to Bother - fair play to her.

Does she use a homemade lab or is it a kit?

And feel free to tell me to mind my own business!

The microscope is fifty years old and an advisor in teagasc got the slides for the job, I think they're easy enough got online nowadays.
    Apart from that it's just a measure, a jug and a tea strainer.

• Advertisement

The microscope is fifty years old and an advisor in teagasc got the slides for the job, I think they're easy enough got online nowadays.
    Apart from that it's just a measure, a jug and a tea strainer.

I must have a look online as I'd like to be able to check them myself. Thanks as ever.

I must have a look online as I'd like to be able to check them myself. Thanks as ever.

Here's a very good post from the past, it'll tell you in detail what's involved
    The links are out of date but you'll get the gist

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74128331

Advertisement