Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

While it's no half marathon like most of you did on Saturday, I had a 10 mile planned for Sunday and I do have to thank the inspiring reports you all had shared on here! I can honestly say they helped me push on for the last few miles :) 
    I'm feeling less in denial now that we have a marathon in under 5 weeks, not sure I had fully accepted this will be happening.

The plan from my club has the next 5 weekends LRs as follows: 18, 20, 18, 14 and the big day itself. I followed this for Limerick and was a little apprehensive about an 18 mile run just 2 weeks before the big day. I also thought I didn't feel as refreshed in the last week before the marathon as I thought I would.
    Looking at the HH / Boards plans, neither have that long a run 2 weeks out, so I am thinking I will reduce it 14/16 and even keep the week before to 12 miles. 
    Not that I want to give out about the plan, but this second time around I have had a number of doubts about it to be honest, given the discussions on here (and the experience of using it a whole ONE TIME before :) ) .

Any thoughts from the mentors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

ReeReeG wrote: »
    While it's no half marathon like most of you did on Saturday, I had a 10 mile planned for Sunday and I do have to thank the inspiring reports you all had shared on here! I can honestly say they helped me push on for the last few miles :) 
    I'm feeling less in denial now that we have a marathon in under 5 weeks, not sure I had fully accepted this will be happening.

The plan from my club has the next 5 weekends LRs as follows: 18, 20, 18, 14 and the big day itself. I followed this for Limerick and was a little apprehensive about an 18 mile run just 2 weeks before the big day. I also thought I didn't feel as refreshed in the last week before the marathon as I thought I would.
    Looking at the HH / Boards plans, neither have that long a run 2 weeks out, so I am thinking I will reduce it 14/16 and even keep the week before to 12 miles. 
    Not that I want to give out about the plan, but this second time around I have had a number of doubts about it to be honest, given the discussions on here (and the experience of using it a whole ONE TIME before :) ) .

I'm no mentor, but from what I've absorbed to date I think the advice would be that a good taper trumps additional miles over the last few weeks. The Boards plan has long runs of 20, 18, 14 and 8 miles from here until DCM, which seems like a quality taper to me. Maybe it's different when it's not your first marathon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Hi folks, wondering if any of you can assist!

I'll be spending most of this Friday down in Limerick and I was considering doing my 20 mile lsr down there as I will have a few hours to spare and the rest of my weekend is looking pretty full. Trying my best to switch a few things around on Saturday/Sunday so I can do my run then but failing that, I suppose a change of scenery might not be a bad thing........... although saying that, I was hoping to take in some of the marathon route on this week's lsr......:(

Are there any Limerick heads here that could suggest any routes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    Are there any Limerick heads here that could suggest any routes?

How well do you know limerick? And where's your starting point?

How well do you know limerick? And where's your starting point?

Sorry, should have specified!!

I don't know Limerick at all but I'll be in Adare Manor from 3-5pm and 10-12pm so have a decent few hours in between.

I know it's probably not the best idea in the world but am just exploring options......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

coogy wrote: »

I don't know Limerick at all but I'll be in Adare Manor from 3-5pm and 10-12pm so have a decent few hours in between.

I know it's probably not the best idea in the world but am just exploring options......

Off the top of my head, there's the greenway which I think is long enough, but I've never ran it myself so can't vouch for it. Would save you running on roads that could be potentially dangerous with traffic.

coogy wrote:

Hmm Adare to Limerick and back is 20M although that involves dual carriageway running.

If you're mentally tough enough you could run the Adare 10k route three times!

In terms of limerick itself I can't say I've ever measured an exact 20M route but Raheen Industrial estate, up Father Russell road and into town, left over the bridge and in the Condell Rd towards Caherdavin, back up past GAA grounds into town and back out to Raheen along O Connell Street is a decent enough sized loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

ReeReeG i'm not a lot more qualified than your good self but i would strongly urge you towards doing 12-14m at most 3 weeks out from the marathon. We all recover from long runs at different rates but based on your own experiences before Limerick it sounds like you will need 3 weeks to recover from that last long run - as most of us do. 3 weeks seems to be the typical taper time in most common plans that i have come across.

Skyblue posted this link recently which suggests that we actually don't see the benefits of long runs for 4-6 weeks after we do them which would also suggest it is counterintuitive to do a very long run in the last 4 weeks - but we'll settle on 3 ;)

Well done on your superb performance in the 10m race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Opinions differ on tapers and of course they also fulfill a function within a plan. Having not followed the details of your plan I'd find it hard to comment. That being said I have seen many a taper which suggests that long run could be 80-90% of the longest run to date. So if you have a 20 miler it's not outrageous to do a 16-18 on that weekend. For novices and runners who haven't got years of endurance training it's obviously a priority that recovery is adequate before DCM so risks will not be taken with higher mileage runs that close to the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

skyblue46 wrote: »

Opinions differ on tapers and of course they also fulfill a function within a plan. Having not followed the details of your plan I'd find it hard to comment. That being said I have seen many a taper which suggests that long run could be 80-90% of the longest run to date. So if you have a 20 miler it's not outrageous to do a 16-18 on that weekend. For novices and runners who haven't got years of endurance training it's obviously a priority that recovery is adequate before DCM so risks will not be taken with higher mileage runs that close to the big day.

Yes, that's a fair point and I did think that while posting - hard for you to tell given there is often a bigger picture which needs to be taken into account.
    ariana` wrote: »
    Skyblue posted this link recently which suggests that we actually don't see the benefits of long runs for 4-6 weeks after we do them which would also suggest it is counterintuitive to do a very long run in the last 4 weeks - but we'll settle on 3 ;)
    Thanks ariana... maybe I'll settle on a 16 LSR 2 weeks out as a compromise between the plan and my own experience the last time, given the point skyblue makes above.

• Advertisement

Hmm Adare to Limerick and back is 20M although that involves dual carriageway running.

If you're mentally tough enough you could run the Adare 10k route three times!

In terms of limerick itself I can't say I've ever measured an exact 20M route but Raheen Industrial estate, up Father Russell road and into town, left over the bridge and in the Condell Rd towards Caherdavin, back up past GAA grounds into town and back out to Raheen along O Connell Street is a decent enough sized loop.

Great thanks for that!

I've mapped out a rough route for now that just about covers the 20 miles but I'll have to make sure I don't end up on any country roads with no footpath.

And breathe.........

coogy wrote:
    I've mapped out a rough route for now that just about covers the 20 miles but I'll have to make sure I don't end up on any country roads with no footpath.

If you want to run it by me throw it up here and I can let you know. If it's Adare you can assume it will be mostly country roads. If it's limerick city you're in better shape but would still need to see where you plan on running

If you want to run it by me throw it up here and I can let you know. If it's Adare you can assume it will be mostly country roads. If it's limerick city you're in better shape but would still need to see where you plan on running

Thanks, will do!

I've a starting point of Raheen Business Park, which is only a 12 minute drive from Adare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

coogy wrote: »

I'm actually from Adare and there's a load of good routes around the area. There's a 5k loop in the manor itself which will stick out as it's the one that hugs the boundry of the main driving roads on the resort. There's 12k of cart paths going around the golf course(I know this because I thought we'd never finish building them or the course for that matter:pac:). If you want to get out of the resort and into the countryside. It's only about 6 miles to get to Curraghchase wildlife park which has a good mix of gravel and natural trails through the woods and come back along the Adare 10k route and could finish with a run along the Niall o'shuahnessy trail along the river bank just on the outskirts of the village.

If you want a climbing route, you could head a few miles up the road to Ballingarry and run Knocfierna which has a nice bit of history with the old famine lands and views stretching over the shannon and well into Clare(not that anyone would want to look into that kip:))

I'll draw up a few routes later on if you want

coogy wrote:
    I've a starting point of Raheen Business Park, which is only a 12 minute drive from Adare.

I know it well. It's my starting point five days of the six days I run every week!

Safiri wrote: »
    I'm actually from Adare and there's a load of good routes around the area. There's a 5k loop in the manor itself which will stick out as it's the one that hugs the boundry of the main driving roads on the resort. There's 12k of cart paths going around the golf course(I know this because I thought we'd never finish building them or the course for that matter:pac:). If you want to get out of the resort and into the countryside. It's only about 6 miles to get to Curraghchase wildlife park which has a good mix of gravel and natural trails through the woods and come back along the Adare 10k route and could finish with a run along the Niall o'shuahnessy trail along the river bank just on the outskirts of the village.

If you want a climbing route, you could head a few miles up the road to Ballingarry and run Knocfierna which has a nice bit of history with the old famine lands and views stretching over the shannon and well into Clare(not that anyone would want to look into that kip:))

I'll draw up a few routes later on if you want

Brilliant, thanks!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

I must be the only one that has taken on the Forrest Gump style of route selection. LSR of 14 miles? Run 7 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. LSR of 20 miles? Run 10 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. :D:D I found it too time consuming trying to work out exact routes that started and finished in the same spot and were the correct length. Just use RunKeeper on my phone to call out the distance every mile. Nice feeling to be making the route up as you go!

I must be the only one that has taken on the Forrest Gump style of route selection. LSR of 14 miles? Run 7 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. LSR of 20 miles? Run 10 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. I found it too time consuming trying to work out exact routes that started and finished in the same spot and were the correct length. Just use RunKeeper on my phone to call out the distance every mile. Nice feeling to be making the route up as you go!

Funny you should say that. I had a conversation with one of my buddies lately. He's always fretting about finding loops. It never clicked with him that you just need to find half the distance and do it twice. Or like you said just run out and back. Mentally a little tougher maybe but consider it a mental challenge that, if you win, will stand to you on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I must be the only one that has taken on the Forrest Gump style of route selection. LSR of 14 miles? Run 7 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. LSR of 20 miles? Run 10 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. :D:D I found it too time consuming trying to work out exact routes that started and finished in the same spot and were the correct length. Just use RunKeeper on my phone to call out the distance every mile. Nice feeling to be making the route up as you go!

No, I love out and back routes too.
    In an effort to cover some of the DCM route this week in the 20 miler, I'll have to do a loop and already the thoughts of it has me in a bit of a tizzy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Got my 20 mile LSR done today (21 actually! Yippee)
    Had a 30 year college reunion last weekend, and working next weekend, so I took a half day today to get it done.
    Was feeling a bit nervous about it having picked up a few niggles recently after the HM (1.55) 9 days ago. Felt each one of the for the first few K, but thankfully they disappeared as the run progressed.
    Kept it slow (6.15/km), but not as slow as I meant to for the first good while, but was getting bored, and feeling good, so I decided to do the third quarter at PMP of 6mins/kilometre (all lingering ideas of targeting 4 hours were banished after the half), and reverted to slower for the last few K. I did a diversion to take in a local hill towards the end, which brought me up to 34k, and then walked the last K home to cool down. I normally tack on this hill late in my long runs as it's longer and steeper than anything in the second half of DCM, so I feel it will stand to me mentally on the day itself. Finished up at average 6.10 / kilometre, or about 10 minute miles (Sorry Ariana, bit fast I know - hope I didn't run my best run in training).
    My route was a 4k leg to an 8k/5 mile loop which I did three times. This enabled me to stash a few 250ml water bottles which I passed four times. I carried three fig rolls wrapped in foil (took one at 10,15 & 20k), and two gels (high 5 one of which was caffinated - took these at 18k and 25k). I carried these in a great outdoors belt which is a nice bit bigger than the flip belt(I find this uncomfortable as the food seems more stuffed into it and tighter). The fuelling strategy and the belts are courtesy of herself who did DCM successfully the last two years. It worked well for me today and I'm happy to employ similar on the 28th.
    The other thing I like about the 8k loop is that part of it has grass in the middle, and there are plenty of other opportunities to run on mown grass verges. I like to get off the tarmac a bit if I can to reduce the pounding.
    Anyway, sorry for the long post, just so pleased at how it worked out, and even if I don't manage another 20 miler (I hope to weekend after next) I got a nice confidence boost today which will stand to me on the big day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Hi all,

I haven't posted in quite a long time but i have been following all the posts and big massive kudos to you all for the training you have put in over the last few months. A couple of big weeks ahead but nothing should faze any of you now after your progress to date, its really inspiring reading all your posts.

I aggravated an old knee injury in June which put me out for a few weeks, since then i have been building up the mileage in line with you guys while managing to pick up a few morale boosting PB's at the 10mile (1:11) and half last weekend (1:31).
    My long runs over the last couple of weeks were a 30k and a 33k. The 33k (4*8.25km loops) was probably the best training run i've done in that i felt sluggish over the first 10km and got into my stride in the middle and did the last few kms slightly faster than my average pace finishing strong.

2 more 30+km runs over the next two weeks and i think i will be well set up for my sub 3:30 attempt, the countdown clock on the marathon website is winding down at a scarily fast rate but i know we will all be ready on the day (well after surviving some of that famous taper madness!!)

looking forward to reading all your progress in the next while.....keep it up

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I try to have a loop, but my loops on the LSRs are only 4 miles and I run a few different ones, loop back to the house to give me water!

I do better with a planned route than an out and back. So for the weekend, I will do 4 x 4 mile loops, and a half-mile loop around the house to keep moving while getting a drink of water and disposing of the bottle in my garden on the way past. People probably think I am a litter bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I must be the only one that has taken on the Forrest Gump style of route selection. LSR of 14 miles? Run 7 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. LSR of 20 miles? Run 10 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. :D:D

I hear you Forrest, I can't do 'loops' either as I need to have a 'destination' to go to and then turn 180 Degrees and head home. I will even skip a 10K race or HM if it involves doing any loops!! I did the Mondello Duathlon a few years ago which involved doing 8 laps of a 3km course and I felt like a hamster after it :)

What I would advise to Novices is that if possible, try to have a few undulating hills in their LSR's, and maybe have a decent hill towards the end of your LSR if at possible, just to add a bit steel to them legs without injuring yourself of course.

Only a little over 4 weeks to go to the big day, Holy Jebus where has the time gone in the last few weeks? On a positive note, the hard grind of the last few weeks is almost at an end and we enter 'Taper Mode' soon, where we all will go a bit nuts for 2-3 weeks as our regular fix of long distance running will evaporate...almost there folks, one last push and you will be ready!

Also eat and sleep well plus I would recommend taking a few vitamin C tablets (Rubex etc) and Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil tablets to keep the immune systems in good shape to help ward off any colds or flu's, as there is a lot of stuff going around at the moment and we might be a bit depleted due to the high levels of exercise in recent weeks....best of luck!

smashiner wrote: »
    I must be the only one that has taken on the Forrest Gump style of route selection. LSR of 14 miles? Run 7 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. LSR of 20 miles? Run 10 miles in one direction, turn around and run back. :D:D

I hear you Forrest, I can't do 'loops' either as I need to have a 'destination' to go to and then turn 180 Degrees and head home. I will even skip a 10K race or HM if it involves doing any loops!! I did the Mondello Duathlon a few years ago which involved doing 8 laps of a 3km course and I felt like a hamster after it :)

What I would advise to Novices is that if possible, try to have a few undulating hills in their LSR's, and maybe have a decent hill towards the end of your LSR if at possible, just to add a bit steel to them legs without injuring yourself of course.

Only a little over 4 weeks to go to the big day, Holy Jebus where has the time gone in the last few weeks? On a positive note, the hard grind of the last few weeks is almost at an end and we enter 'Taper Mode' soon, where we all go a bit nuts for 2-3 weeks as our regular fix of long distance running will evaporate...almost there folks, one last push and you will be ready!

Also eat and sleep well plus I would recommend taking a few vitamin C tablets (Rubex etc) and Seven Seas Cod Liver Oil tablets to keep the immune systems in good shape to help ward off any colds or flu's, as there is a lot of stuff going around at the moment and we might be a bit depleted due to the high levels of exercise in recent weeks....best of luck!

I always try to have my lsr as one big loop. As for hills, always!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

The little bearer of bugs in our house has passed on her cough..... Any recommendations runner's remedies???? Wanna nip this in the bud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hedgehoggy wrote: »
    The little bearer of bugs in our house has passed on her cough..... Any recommendations runner's remedies???? Wanna nip this in the bud!!!

As a fully qualified 'Scientician' (not) the general advice on Boards is not to run if anything gets into your throat or chest.

I personally use 'Codinex' for coughs as I find it is much better than regular cough mixtures, but it might be an idea to consult your pharmacist or GP first or if it starts to get a hold of you.

Good old fashioned remedies such as Lemsip, 7up and a spoonful of honey can be good too.

Best of luck...

Disclaimer: 'Smashiner or any persons claiming to be Smashiner, may not actually be fully qualified Medical Practitioners, and may not be held accountable for any advice given to others in times of sickness' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hedgehoggy

smashiner wrote: »
    As a fully qualified 'Scientician' (not) the general advice on Boards is not to run if anything gets into your throat or chest.

I personally use 'Codinex' for coughs as I find it is much better than regular cough mixtures, but it might be an idea to consult your pharmacist or GP first or if it starts to get a hold of you.

Good old fashioned remedies such as Lemsip, 7up and a spoonful of honey can be good too.

Best of luck...

Disclaimer: 'Smashiner or any persons claiming to be Smashiner, may not actually be fully qualified Medical Practitioners, and may not be held accountable for any advice given to others in times of sickness' :D

Havent heard of Codinex - will def look it up! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hedgehoggy wrote: »

I hear ya :mad: I swear by old fashioned fresh lemon and ginger in hot water. My other half swears by hot toddies :p I take Vit C + Zinc all Winter as a preventative measure but it seems to be letting me down at the moment. I guess you'll get lots of different recommendations but you can't beat lots of rest & fluids. Take care and get well anyhow, better now than in 4 weeks time :eek:

Ok, I promise this is the last time I'll mention this on the thread but once and for all, I just want to get a clear idea in my head about fuelling on marathon day. I think these are are my two options:

• Wear a bottle belt which holds 2 x 170 ml bottles. Plan would be to fill each one with Tailwind prior to the race. Belt will also hold clif bloks for additional fuelling.
      Didn't think I'd want to wear one of these but they're not as cumbersome looking as I thought.

• Wear a flip belt containing clif bloks and a sachet of tailwind. Plan would be to empty half of sachet of tailwind into one of the bottles handed out at 3 mile water station and same again for water station at mile 13.
      Obviously flipbelts are far more comfortable to wear and would be my preference.

Anyone have any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm tempted to take my inspiration from video games and arrange myself a collectathon, I'm thinking of going out the night before and hiding 3/4 pre-mixed bottles of tailwind at various spots on the course. I figure there must be a few spots safe enough to leave them that will also be easy to access without stopping!

Just a thought anyway, in case I can't figure out a better strategy.

Advertisement